Go Back > >
Old Yesterday, 6:08 am #1
Original Poster

South Africa - incorrectly stamped passport

Hiya, was wondering if anyone who knew more about these things than me might know about this situation.

Visited SA last year, on the 90-day visa exemption. Went to and from various countries but arrived and departed from SA. Entered by road for the last time on the 2nd May 2016 and left on the 5th May 2016 from JNB back to the UK.

Unfortunately SA exit control stamped my passport out as 5th May 2017! Being in a hurry I didn't actually notice till months later back in the UK when I was looking at my passport in a bit more detail. So it looks like I stayed a year and 3 days!

I now have to return to SA in the near future and am worried it might cause issues. I (hopefully) assume it is all on the computer system so that will tell them the correct date, but am going to try and find some documents to take just in case. I definitely don't have the boarding pass but I will have the e-ticket when I booked the flight so hopefully that will be enough!

Anyone else had a similar experience?

jeonatl3 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 7:13 am #2

Assuming they scanned your passport, it will be in the "system" indeed, plus I really doubt anyone will manually check the stamps in your passport, at some point the stamps in my old passport got 'misaligned' (an exit stamp was put on a page with no entry stamp), and so each time I visited next the exit stamp would be placed near the 'older' entry stamp, never it was an issue...
Ditto is online now Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:12 am #3

You won't have an issue. Don't worry about it.
B747-437B is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 8:02 pm #4

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Schengen does this quite a lot, and if it's not a problem in Schengen, it won't be a problem in South Africa.

The computer system will be correct, and if you had overstayed by a year, I suspect it would've been more serious than an exit stamp in a passport.

I've had my passport thumbed through quite a lot, but never in too much detail. I think they're more interested in countries and travel history, rather than dates.
Skatering is offline Reply With Quote
Old Today, 1:03 am #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatering View Post
Schengen does this quite a lot, and if it's not a problem in Schengen, it won't be a problem in South Africa.
Schengen actually does rely on entry/exit stamps, since passports are not (yet) systematically scanned, and even when they are I think it's only to check you are not a criminal etc. rather than record your entry/exit.

Given that all Schengen countries have identical stamps, you can go in one country and leave in another etc. it's highly unlikely that your Schengen stamps will be perfectly aligned, but then again if at some point they will need to check how long you've (over)stayed, they will have to refer to your stamps and count...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatering View Post
I've had my passport thumbed through quite a lot, but never in too much detail. I think they're more interested in countries and travel history, rather than dates.
Except maybe for TLV, it seems mostly for the purposes of finding an empty page to stamp in
Ditto is online now Reply With Quote
Old Today, 9:05 am #6

Programs: A3*G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditto View Post
Except maybe for TLV, it seems mostly for the purposes of finding an empty page to stamp in
Oh it's not only TLV
Palal is offline Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:59 pm #7

Quote:
Schengen actually does rely on entry/exit stamps, since passports are not (yet) systematically scanned, and even when they are I think it's only to check you are not a criminal etc. rather than record your entry/exit.
My non-EU citizen friend had a very stressful trip with me inside Schengen a while back because her entry wasn't recorded or stamped, her exit was recorded but not stamped, her re-entry was recorded but not stamped, and her second exit was neither recorded nor stamped.

It lead me to do a lot of research into how much of a problem she would have, only to find many threads on here of many people not receiving stamps when they should.

They seem to have improved lately, but up until a few years ago it was extremely disorganised.
Old Today, 1:00 pm #8

Quote:
Also, so much yes.