Go Back Cpi-Web Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page > TD Aeroplan VISA Insurance Coverage and Aeroplan Rewards Cancellation

TD Aeroplan VISA Insurance Coverage and Aeroplan Rewards Cancellation


Old Jun 25, 16, 6:13 am
Thread Starter
B1

Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,653
TD Aeroplan VISA Insurance Coverage and Aeroplan Rewards Cancellation

We had a relative's medical emergency cause us to cancel a trip that we purchased with AP miles plus fees on the TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum card. The cancellation was 20 days before the trip and we filed for the insurance coverage that comes with the card. In order to recover the miles without coverage, the cancellation would have to be 22 days before the first flight and pay $90 plus tax (Aeroplan can make any rule it wants). So, I filed a claim with Allianz, TD's travel insurer. I am still arguing with them because there is a way to rebook the same trip and pay fees but we can't go so that is moot. The strange thing is that AP miles are valued at $0. So, there is no insurance coverage. So I have a TD Aeroplan Visa with included cancellation insurance. They issue miles and AP eats them, insurance or not. This seems like a hole in the program. I called TD Visa and the rep said that it's up to the insurance company. And the insurance company says that AP miles are worth nothing. Is this a hole in the system? Aeroplan has enough obvious flaws and traps without this one. Time to get out the scissors?
B1 is offline
Old Jun 25, 16, 7:55 am

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sudbury-North Shore-Manitoulin
Programs: AP SPG HH
Posts: 569
Your insurance should cover the costs (tax, surcharges etc.) but not the actual miles/points themselves. Could you not have changed the departure date beyond the 22 days, then cancel, pay the $90 and put the miles back into your account? Does the insurance from TD VISA not also cover cancellation on paid tickets?
Northern Canuck is offline
Old Jun 25, 16, 9:44 am

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: YYZ/SFO/HKG/TXL
Programs: AC SE100K, AA EXP, Fairmont Plat, SPG Plat
Posts: 1,306
This has nothing to do with Aeroplan and everything to do with your CC insurance. Youd be in the same boat with BA AA UA DL etc
Bonaventure is offline
Old Jun 25, 16, 9:46 am
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, AA Gold, UA*S, A3*S, FPC Sucks, SPG Gold, CC Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 23,255
Originally Posted by Northern Canuck View Post
Your insurance should cover the costs (tax, surcharges etc.) but not the actual miles/points themselves. Could you not have changed the departure date beyond the 22 days, then cancel, pay the $90 and put the miles back into your account? Does the insurance from TD VISA not also cover cancellation on paid tickets?
This.

Then you'd have a clear $180 "cost" for the cancellation.
canadiancow is online now
Old Jun 25, 16, 10:00 am

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: トロント
Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Plat, ANA, Avios
Posts: 3,384
It's not a hole in the system.

Very first condition of the Aeroplan program:
Aeroplan Miles have no monetary value whatsoever and cannot under any circumstances form the basis of a monetary claim against Aeroplan.

Your claim of course is not with Aeroplan but with the insurance company. Insurance companies pay out on monetary losses only, not from "barter" losses, in this case the loss of aeroplan miles

As others pointed out you could have easily rescheduled (and then cancelled if you wanted to later). If the trip date has already come and gone, the miles are forfeited. No insurance company will buy them back for you.
mapleg is offline
Old Jun 25, 16, 1:26 pm
Thread Starter
B1

Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,653
Originally Posted by Northern Canuck View Post
Your insurance should cover the costs (tax, surcharges etc.) but not the actual miles/points themselves. Could you not have changed the departure date beyond the 22 days, then cancel, pay the $90 and put the miles back into your account? Does the insurance from TD VISA not also cover cancellation on paid tickets?
I was not aware of the way you suggest to get around the 22 day rule. However, if I did that I would be telling the insurance that I am planning the trip again. Cancelling it then would have no medical reason - 22 days out would require another medical condition to appear. What am I missing? I was hoping that TD Visa, who gives out the AP miles at my expense, would reissue them as the insurance can only cover lost money, not arbitrary AP obligations, Once this is settled, I will cancel the AP card.
B1 is offline
Old Jun 25, 16, 8:39 pm

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: トロント
Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Plat, ANA, Avios
Posts: 3,384
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
I was not aware of the way you suggest to get around the 22 day rule. However, if I did that I would be telling the insurance that I am planning the trip again. Cancelling it then would have no medical reason - 22 days out would require another medical condition to appear. What am I missing? I was hoping that TD Visa, who gives out the AP miles at my expense, would reissue them as the insurance can only cover lost money, not arbitrary AP obligations, Once this is settled, I will cancel the AP card.
You would have no claim to make with the insurance company. You would be out $180 and that is that ($90 change, $90 cancel fee) and of course that is per ticket.

The insurance is not designed to compensate people cancelling award tickets...it is valuable for real cash bought tickets, not your situation. I would not even have thought of claiming insurance on a cancelled award ticket . I would have just changed it to a future far away date, and then in due time consider cancelling it. You don't even have to go to the same destination...you could pick anywhere else in the same zone.

Not sure I agree with the this "TD Visa, who gives out the AP miles at my expense, would reissue them ". TD Visa clearly has a cost to give out reward miles. They give out miles at their expense. They buy them from Aeroplan. You earned them and then spent them. Aeroplan alone controls the refund policy of the points, not TD.
mapleg is offline
Old Jun 25, 16, 9:28 pm

Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE100K, BA Bronze, Fairmont Platinum, Accor Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Posts: 4,090
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
I was not aware of the way you suggest to get around the 22 day rule. However, if I did that I would be telling the insurance that I am planning the trip again. Cancelling it then would have no medical reason - 22 days out would require another medical condition to appear. What am I missing? I was hoping that TD Visa, who gives out the AP miles at my expense, would reissue them as the insurance can only cover lost money, not arbitrary AP obligations, Once this is settled, I will cancel the AP card.
Insurance is meant to cover incurred expenses as a result of a cancellation/interruption for covered reasons (medical, weather, etc).

I don't know the details of the TD policy, but typically travel insurance requires you to have sought refunds on the relevant expenses before you can be reimbursed. Although there's a fee, Aeroplan tickets are effectively refundable.

As mapleg pointed out, insurance companies are set up to compensate for monetary losses.

As far as I'm concerned, the solution has already been posted. Push the ticket out beyond 22 days for $90. Then cancel it for another $90. Then you can say that you have gotten a refund of the points that you paid Aeroplan for the ticket, and have incurred a monetary expense, akin to a cancellation fee, of $180, and push them to reimburse you for that.

If you can get them reimburse you for that, which I think is reasonably likely, you'll have all your miles back and won't be out of pocket any cash, so I don't see why you seem disinclined to pursue this solution.
Adam Smith is online now
Old Jun 25, 16, 11:50 pm

Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: YYZ Realistically, YKZ Aspirationally
Programs: AE Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat AMB
Posts: 365
That's very strange. It makes sense but I was told something completely different for the insurance on the AP TD Visa Infinite when it was possible that I was going to have to cancel an AP award. I was told that they based the value of the ticket on the cash equivalent of the ticket since they couldn't reissue the AP miles.

I was dealing with a F intl ticket at the time so the $5k cancellation limit on the tickets wasn't going to cover it but either one of us was given bad information or the insurance on the platinum and the infinite are very different.
BackSlash3 is offline
Old Jun 26, 16, 8:58 pm
Thread Starter
B1

Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,653
Originally Posted by BackSlash3 View Post
That's very strange. It makes sense but I was told something completely different for the insurance on the AP TD Visa Infinite when it was possible that I was going to have to cancel an AP award. I was told that they based the value of the ticket on the cash equivalent of the ticket since they couldn't reissue the AP miles.

I was dealing with a F intl ticket at the time so the $5k cancellation limit on the tickets wasn't going to cover it but either one of us was given bad information or the insurance on the platinum and the infinite are very different.
Thanks. The first thing I did was call TD Visa and they said that I should cancel everything and make a claim from their insurance. The agent said she thought the insurance would deal with restoring the AP miles. This made sense to me - AP miles have some value and if they are lost because of an illness, then they can be reissued for some sort of agreed fee. The business about cancelling and repaying is neither obvious nor justifiable in my case. Why is the AP rule 22 days for a fee-based restoration. They certainly didn't have these rules originally. Defending the Aeroplan rules, whatever they are, shows that they have people who believe in the system. I certainly am disillusioned. I plan a trip. We have insurance. There is an illness and the way we paid is not covered. If I had paid cash there would be no issue. So why bother with an Aeroplan Visa when TD has other travel cards that don't have this particular gap? I suppose I had to learn the hard way and the idea of creating a booking further out in order to cancel it seems like a hole that Aeroplan didn't intend to create. Thanks to all for the various insights.
B1 is offline
Old Jun 26, 16, 10:03 pm

Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,780
You should read the policy regarding forfeited Aeroplan plans.

I am not familiar with TD but CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite and Infinite Privilege insurance policies clearly stated that "Trips booked with points earned under the Card travel reward program will not be reinstated. The cash value, as determined by Us, will be provided."

Last edited by Clipper801; Jun 26, 16 at 10:22 pm
Clipper801 is offline
Old Jun 26, 16, 10:18 pm

Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,780
Originally Posted by B1 View Post
Thanks. The first thing I did was call TD Visa and they said that I should cancel everything and make a claim from their insurance. The agent said she thought the insurance would deal with restoring the AP miles. This made sense to me - AP miles have some value and if they are lost because of an illness, then they can be reissued for some sort of agreed fee. The business about cancelling and repaying is neither obvious nor justifiable in my case. Why is the AP rule 22 days for a fee-based restoration. They certainly didn't have these rules originally. Defending the Aeroplan rules, whatever they are, shows that they have people who believe in the system. I certainly am disillusioned. I plan a trip. We have insurance. There is an illness and the way we paid is not covered. If I had paid cash there would be no issue. So why bother with an Aeroplan Visa when TD has other travel cards that don't have this particular gap? I suppose I had to learn the hard way and the idea of creating a booking further out in order to cancel it seems like a hole that Aeroplan didn't intend to create. Thanks to all for the various insights.
I don't think the TD Aeroplan Platinum Visa comes with pre-departure cancellation coverage.

You need to have the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite or the TD Aeroplan Visa Infinite Privilege for any pre-departure cancellation coverage.

Even if you had changed and then cancelled, the $180 fees would not have been covered but you would have retained the points.

The three TD Aeroplan Visa cards have very different travel insurance coverage. You need to read each respective policy in full.

Sorry but your TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum does not provide any insurance coverage for the situation that you have described.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jun 26, 16 at 10:27 pm
Clipper801 is offline
Old Jun 27, 16, 5:54 am
Thread Starter
B1

Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 3,653
Originally Posted by adam.smith View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the solution has already been posted. Push the ticket out beyond 22 days for $90. Then cancel it for another $90. Then you can say that you have gotten a refund of the points that you paid Aeroplan for the ticket, and have incurred a monetary expense, akin to a cancellation fee, of $180, and push them to reimburse you for that.

If you can get them reimburse you for that, which I think is reasonably likely, you'll have all your miles back and won't be out of pocket any cash, so I don't see why you seem disinclined to pursue this solution.
Thanks - I made my straightforward case based on my knowledge to Allianz and I received a response that indicated specific steps that do not include the re-book and cancel plan. I will see what happens and then proceed. It appears to me that the re-book and cancel is done to get outside the 22 day window, which is beyond the range of the claim of the illness. I don't see how that is a legitimate basis for an insurance claim. But if it is allowed as an allowed AP procedure, for $180 I would get the AP miles back.
B1 is offline
Old Jun 27, 16, 9:15 am

Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,780
Originally Posted by adam.smith View Post
".....

I don't know the details of the TD policy, but typically travel insurance requires you to have sought refunds on the relevant expenses before you can be reimbursed. Although there's a fee, Aeroplan tickets are effectively refundable.

......"
Here's the TD Aeroplan Visa Platinum information:

https://tdcanadatrust.com/produc...tinum-card.jsp

The full text is here:

https://tdcanadatrust.com/docume...ent_533812.pdf

There is no cancellation protection. One cannot claim reimbursement for expenses incurred that are not covered.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jun 27, 16 at 10:04 am
Clipper801 is offline
Old Jun 27, 16, 12:47 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SFO
Programs: AC S100K, AA Gold, UA*S, A3*S, FPC Sucks, SPG Gold, CC Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 23,255
Originally Posted by Clipper801 View Post
You should read the policy regarding forfeited Aeroplan plans.

I am not familiar with TD but CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite and Infinite Privilege insurance policies clearly stated that "Trips booked with points earned under the Card travel reward program will not be reinstated. The cash value, as determined by Us, will be provided."
I think with a clause like that, you could fight a valuation of $0.
canadiancow is online now

Thread Tools
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:24 pm.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by cpi-web.ru. Copyright 2017 cpi-web.ru. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.