Go Back > > >
Old Nov 7, 17, 6:56 am #1
Original Poster

Programs: AC, BA
Upgrading AC34 for YVR-YYZ

I have two options on my connection at YVR-YYZ and I want to upgrade from Flex to Business as an E50. I can do:

AC106, operated on 767, departing at 830
AC34, operated 777-200, departing at 900

So the AC34 option has a) 16 more J seats and b) is more comfortable in J than XM seats. But AC34 operates SYD-YYZ via YVR, which I know is one of the hardest flights to upgrade.

I know nothing is guaranteed but was wondering if anyone can provide any feedback on my odds between the 2 flights. If it helps, the departure would be on a Thursday morning in January.
seegs is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 7:09 am #2

Programs: AC
Quote:
Originally Posted by seegs View Post
I have two options on my connection at YVR-YYZ and I want to upgrade from Flex to Business as an E50. I can do:

So the AC34 option has a) 16 more J seats and b) is more comfortable in J than XM seats. But AC34 operates SYD-YYZ via YVR, which I know is one of the hardest flights to upgrade.

I know nothing is guaranteed but was wondering if anyone can provide any feedback on my odds between the 2 flights. If it helps, the departure would be on a Thursday morning in January.
I have had better luck upgrade on 106. However, despite being waitlisted a few times for AC34, it has cleared, 100% of the time for me.

However, I am not an E50, but rather a SE100K. Before I hit SE status though, I upgraded all the time on 106 as an E35/50/75.
longtimeflyin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 8:09 am #3

Programs: AC S100K, SPG Plat75
Note that the 77L upgrades are done from PY first, so if you're in Y (Flex) then your chances really diminish.

Anyone starting their journey at SYD will also get upgraded for the whole leg I believe (SYD YVR YYZ) in advance of you.

I'd go with the 767.
yvr76 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 8:10 am #4
2017 FT Secret Santa

Programs: Air Canada - Aeroplan Black, AC - E75K, NEXUS/GE
To add some data points, I have never missed an upgrade on AC106 (3-4 times flying it) as an E50K/E75K but I have missed the two times I tried to upgrade on AC34 as an E75K.
ScGhost0 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 1:14 pm #5
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by seegs View Post

If you could kindly provide the date of travel, someone can check EF for you. I can't comment on the E50 part as I've only been E50 in 2002 and again in 2008.
yyznomad is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 3:19 pm #6

Programs: Eupgrade4Lyfe, Gifted E50K, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
AC34 is very hard to get Eup confirmed as a E50K based off my limited experience (About 3 Eups on YVR-YYZ and 2 on YYZ-YVR).

Keep in mind AC34 is being sold as TPAC flight as well. I used to love AC126 when it was a 77W with 40J, never missed one even as a E35K
Jumper Jack is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 7:40 pm #7

Programs: AC 75MM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvr76 View Post
Note that the 77L upgrades are done from PY first, so if you're in Y (Flex) then your chances really diminish.

Anyone starting their journey at SYD will also get upgraded for the whole leg I believe (SYD YVR YYZ) in advance of you.

I'd go with the 767.
For AC 34 the SYD-YVR-YYZ upgrade window opens at 7 days. You can't upgrade just the YVR-YYZ segment and later the SYD-YVR segment, unless on separate bookings. So domestic flyers are at an advantage as their upgrade window is from 10-14 days depending on status level.

But the chances are low if you're not seated in PY. The premium over Flex is <$150 if booked at least 30 days out, making it a reasonably good deal. And if the upgrade doesn't come through the seat is better than in cramped.
tomvancouver is offline Reply With Quote