Go Back > > > >
Old Dec 22, 16, 9:30 pm #166

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Le Cclub Accorhotels Plat, Marriott, Hilton
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarLim View Post
AF refused yesterday to through-check bags of a family member connecting from AF to DL stating that they will only through-check to DL mainline flights and not to flights operated by regional carriers (DL connections). I can't find an official AF statement, but the DL policy published on the web with regard to through-check bags to AF does not exclude AF flights operated by Hop if I'm not mistaken.
Low level employees making their own rules, irrespective of how much discomfort this brings to the customer, the one who brings the money to pay his salary, without fear of retribution.

This shows how poorly this airline is managed and what the company culture still is.

Next time there is a FB Platinum gathering organised by AF, it may be worth addressing the issue with AF staff and confront them with strong words, as indeed, "this is truly unbelievable and unacceptable (Dixit Goldorak)"

Last edited by carnarvon; Feb 19, 17 at 7:17 am
carnarvon is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 17, 4:42 pm #167

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarLim View Post
AF refused yesterday to through-check bags of a family member connecting from AF to DL stating that they will only through-check to DL mainline flights and not to flights operated by regional carriers (DL connections). I can't find an official AF statement, but the DL policy published on the web with regard to through-check bags to AF does not exclude AF flights operated by Hop if I'm not mistaken.
Just for the records, on the way back no problem to through-check bags to AF when checking in with DL connection. But no AF boarding pass could be printed, neither by the skyclub in LAX. Seemingless is different ... however not a big deal
MarLim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 17, 4:50 pm #168

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum; Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; Hilton Gold
They have to pick up the bags anyway because of customs, when flying from international to domestic in US. I had the same issue with China Eastern from CKG-PVG-LAX-SJC (no BP as well) by the way (first checked in just to PVG, then just to LAX and then to SJC) -.-
Sjondorn is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 17, 5:07 pm #169

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjondorn View Post
They have to pick up the bags anyway because of customs, when flying from international to domestic in US. I had the same issue with China Eastern from CKG-PVG-LAX-SJC (no BP as well) by the way (first checked in just to PVG, then just to LAX and then to SJC) -.-
True, but it is much easier to change terminals without baggage and you don't need to queue again to check your bags again when you have the BPs already. Not a big deal however as long as you have enough time between your flights.
MarLim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 17, 2:05 pm #170

I will fly MUC-CDG-MIA on an AF Flying Blue C award ticket and then MIA-ATL on another Y DL ticket. May I check my baggage in MUC directly until ATL?
cpn1980 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 17, 2:27 pm #171
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, AZ, BA Silver: EY
All international arrivals in the US have to physically collect their luggage at the point of arrival in the US and clear it through customs.
irishguy28 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 17, 2:40 pm #172

Customs clearing is fine, what I would like to avoid is paying the baggage fee once I have to re-check the bags
cpn1980 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 17, 6:09 am #173

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
All international arrivals in the US have to physically collect their luggage at the point of arrival in the US and clear it through customs.
Not exactly, only if you connect to a domestic flight (or if it is your final destination obviously). If you fly CDG JFK YUL/MEX, if you luggage is tagged through to YUL or MEX and you don't have to pick it up, it will be transfered automatically. On the other hand, to connect to your YUL flight, you still need to pass through customs with your hand luggage and pass through TSA security.
ranskis is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 17, 7:17 am #174

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Le Cclub Accorhotels Plat, Marriott, Hilton
Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranskis View Post
Not exactly, only if you connect to a domestic flight (or if it is your final destination obviously). If you fly CDG JFK YUL/MEX, if you luggage is tagged through to YUL or MEX and you don't have to pick it up, it will be transfered automatically (...) .
AFAIK, this is possible only at a few selected US airports.

Otherwise the old rule still applies, that you have to collect your luggage and go through customs, irrespective of your final destination.
carnarvon is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 17, 9:56 am #175
Cpi-Web Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranskis View Post
Not exactly, only if you connect to a domestic flight (or if it is your final destination obviously). If you fly CDG JFK YUL/MEX, if you luggage is tagged through to YUL or MEX and you don't have to pick it up, it will be transfered automatically. On the other hand, to connect to your YUL flight, you still need to pass through customs with your hand luggage and pass through TSA security.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnarvon View Post
AFAIK, this is possible only at a few selected US airports.

Otherwise the old rule still applies, that you have to collect your luggage and go through customs, irrespective of your final destination.
indeed, it depends of the US airport transit point and the agreement the airline has with the local authorities. There is no automatic rule when it comes to int'l to int'l connections at US airports.
Goldorak is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 12:40 am #176
Cpi-Web Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
To add another Skyteam datapoint : no problem at all to check a bag all the way from HAN on VN to AF on 2 separate tickets. It took less than a minute and I even got my AF BP.
But, shocking ! I had my AF BP for a P-class flight printed on an economy class pre-printed BP
I guess we have to make choices sometimes
Goldorak is online now Reply With Quote