Go Back > > > >
Old Nov 28, 12, 12:01 am #1
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
AF will not interline anymore across reservations?

I was trying to interline a bag from AF to DL in DUB on separate reservations. The staff at the CDG 2E business check-in wouldn't interline across reservations and a supervisor confirmed it.
They said it's a long-standing policy ("2 years") but my experience has been different, having interlined bags across reservations many times on AF without any comment.
What is your experience? Is there a rule written somewhere?
I know that DL is applying a new rule in January.
Arthur Randolph is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 12, 5:58 am #2

Programs: FB Plat - Amex Cent.
I was flying CDG->IAH early november on AF biz and then connecting on AA - they tagged the bag to the final destination !
sasmalko is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 12, 10:59 am #3
Cpi-Web Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA CCR, A3 G, Aclub Plat, Hilton D, IC Plat Amb, Starwood G, blablablah, etc
if true, it sounds very bad. I very much resent this increasing tendency of airlines to be shifty about interlining. I think there is a hidden agenda to try and discourage people from checking luggage as much as possible as this costs airlines a lot of money and is seen as an easy way to save some. It is also 'easy' to justify now that airlines apply so many different rules on luggage allowance and supplements but ultimately, it is an extremely bad move for the passenger.
orbitmic is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 12, 1:35 pm #4

Indeed, it is very annoying, one can never rely on the airlines for interlining, the story changes every time!
af fp is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 12, 2:56 am #5

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
I think there is a hidden agenda to try and discourage people from checking luggage as much as possible as this costs airlines a lot of money and is seen as an easy way to save some.
This might be true, but I think the point for the airlines is to discourage people to split an itinerary to different PNRs. When you do so, it is usually to save money. The difference in price of one PNR vs 2 or more is often much more than luggage fees.

However, AF does check bags over different PNRs as long as both flights are on AF metal. I have no experience with checking in with AF and interlining to a different airline on a different PNR.
MarLim is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 12, 3:38 am #6
Cpi-Web Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA CCR, A3 G, Aclub Plat, Hilton D, IC Plat Amb, Starwood G, blablablah, etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarLim View Post
This might be true, but I think the point for the airlines is to discourage people to split an itinerary to different PNRs. When you do so, it is usually to save money. The difference in price of one PNR vs 2 or more is often much more than luggage fees.
Actually there are tons of different reasons why you may want or need to travel on separate pnrs. For some itineraries single pnrs are impossible to get through the airline's website itself and they are the ones making it prohibitive to book through the phone and impossible to book at a ticket office since those have disappeared. Other itineraries simply won't price as single pnrs when flying specific airlines and/ or flights. Then what if you're travelling with someone but with slight variations (e.g pax 1 cdg lax cdg, pax 2 cdg lax cdg nce). If you want to be on the same pnr for the long haul (eg to extend ff benefits to the other) your only choice is a separate pnr for the cdg nce even though this will add to your cost. Or again you thought you needed to go to cdg but end up having to go to Lhr instead for an impromptu meeting. There are many other configurations most of which entirely legitimate and I think airlines should offer interlining whenever possible.
orbitmic is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 12, 3:59 am #7

Programs: FB AF Ivory, BA Gold
Quote:
Actually there are tons of different reasons why you may want or need to travel on separate pnrs. For some itineraries single pnrs are impossible to get through the airline's website itself and they are the ones making it prohibitive to book through the phone and impossible to book at a ticket office since those have disappeared. Other itineraries simply won't price as single pnrs when flying specific airlines and/ or flights. Then what if you're travelling with someone but with slight variations (e.g pax 1 cdg lax cdg, pax 2 cdg lax cdg nce). If you want to be on the same pnr for the long haul (eg to extend ff benefits to the other) your only choice is a separate pnr for the cdg nce even though this will add to your cost. Or again you thought you needed to go to cdg but end up having to go to Lhr instead for an impromptu meeting. There are many other configurations most of which entirely legitimate and I think airlines should offer interlining whenever possible.
Fully agreed. There are zillions of reasons for having two separate tickets, especially if you book flights on an airline website rather than by a TA.

One should be a bit careful when using the term "interline". The first type/meaning is about interlining on tickets. Airlines have interline agreements and a ticket can be issued with several airlines on the ticket as long as they have interlining agreement.
Interlining baggage is another type/meaning. The issue is interlining bags when on two separate tickets. What is funny is that often airlines do it from some origins and not from others. Maybe the fact that DUB-CDG is not on AF metal but on WX can have something to do with it. Personally, I have interlined bags on two separate tickets from AF to another airline a few times, and vice-versa, but that was in the past. Airlines are increasingly reluctant to do it. Possibly for commercial reasons mentioned by MarLim. Apparently, there is also an issue of responsibility and fees. While rules are clear on the amount of luggage (weight/pieces) when on the same ticket, rules are fuzzy when on separate tickets. For example, it could be that your original AF flight allows two bags, while the next DL flight (on separate ticket) only allows one bag. What if you have a DUB-CDG in Y and a separate (say award ticket) on DL in J CDG-BOS? Why should AF allow you to check in two bags free of charge?
It would seem that it is a major reason why US airlines are adopting a no-bag interlining policy on separate tickets. Now that US airlines charge various fees for checking in bags, fees that vary if you have status with the airline, it becomes difficult for the originating airline to know what fee the other airline would charge, if any.

Last edited by brunos; Nov 29, 12 at 4:18 am
brunos is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 12, 5:13 am #8
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Quote:
If I may be the contrarian (as per usual ), the difference between separate tickets/reservations and same ticket/reservation is that the cost of handling the interlining of baggage (=mostly the risk of misconnect) is included in the latter whereas it is not in the former.
Yes, there may be a gazillion reasons why one books on separate tickets but it does not follow from this that this entitles one to shift the cost and risk of interlining onto the airline.
In an ideal world, there should be some kind of possibility to "buy" interlining on separate tickets as an additional service. I guess, though, that there would be a high chance an adverse selection issue here that would make it more expensive than it should be.

There are quite a few arguments that I do not buy here:
1) that you often cannot buy tickets on different airlines on an airline's website: true but there are alternative channels;
2) alternative channels or phone call centres are prohibitively expensive: they are a little more expensive but given that you get interlining thrown in, there is something problematic about complaining about the few extra euros you have to pay for using a channel rather another;
3) fares cannot be combined resulting in hugely expensive fares: true, but what this means is that the airline has chosen NOT to offer through-tickets at discount fares on a certain itinerary. Yet, what you are trying to do is to force the airline to offer a de facto through service.

It seems to me that, to be logically coherent, if one states that airlines should accept baggage for interlining on separate tickets, then they should equally be responsible for passenger misconnects (and not just passenger baggage misconnects) on separate tickets (provided that the MCT is observed).
I have not seen many people arguing for the latter, therefore I am puzzled that people think that it is inappropriate for airlines to move away from offering the former.

Don't get me wrong: I fully appreciate the value of interlining on separate tickets and have benefited from it every now and then. But I would find it difficult to blame the airlines for moving away from it. It was good while it lasted but if it comes to an end, so be it.
NickB is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 12, 6:39 am #9

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, United Premier Silver, Connect Miles Presidential Plat, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
I interlined on a CPH-CDG-MIA-POS about a year ago, with the last segment being AA. No problem whatsoever.
Milkman is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 12, 2:00 am #10

Programs: FB AF Ivory, BA Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB View Post
Don't get me wrong: I fully appreciate the value of interlining on separate tickets and have benefited from it every now and then. But I would find it difficult to blame the airlines for moving away from it. It was good while it lasted but if it comes to an end, so be it.
I am sorely tempted to agree with you
brunos is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 12, 1:13 pm #11

Programs: FB Platinum, TK *G, SPG Platinum 100, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond
Why not doing it for frequent flyers only, at least when the tickets are on airlines of the same alliance? That would be another great benefit!
olivedel is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 12, 4:14 pm #12
Cpi-Web Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
I sincerely hope that this is not true. Traveling on separate tickets and having to check-through bags is unavoidable sometimes. A very very bad move for pax if this is confirmed.
Goldorak is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 12, 4:52 pm #13

Two weeks ago, I checked a suitcase through on Cityjet (i.e., Air France) from LCY to AMS, and then further from AMS with a Lufthansa flight. Flights were not on the same PNR and there were no problems whatsoever (in fact, I arrived only 40 minutes before departure due to a taxi delay, and was still able to arrange this, check my luggage and get to the airplane).
fptxenemit is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 12, 9:08 pm #14
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivedel View Post
Why not doing it for frequent flyers only, at least when the tickets are on airlines of the same alliance? That would be another great benefit!
In case of separate tickets, BA will interline baggage onto other oneworld flights but not onto carriers outside oneworld (no FFP membership required).
Old Nov 30, 12, 9:11 pm #15
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
I sincerely hope that this is not true. Traveling on separate tickets and having to check-through bags is unavoidable sometimes.
Well, it is never absolutely unavoidable. It may be undesirable, inconvenient, etc.. but not unavoidable. You just need to plan your connection in the same way as if you had a change of mode of transport, such as a change from a flight onto a train.