Air France Excess Baggage?

Old Jan 29, 17, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Air France Excess Baggage?

I'm planning to fly AF Tokyo Narita (via Nagoya) to Paris CDG Business Class. I have a lot of baggage and ideally would like to take 4 cardboard boxes of 23kg each as excess baggage.

Is there likely to be any problem with this? I mean, is there a limit to how many items of excess I can take?

I plan to book my ticket the earliest I can in advance and book the excess with AF online.
Old Jan 29, 17, 5:20 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
http://airfrance.fr/FR/en/local/...hod=jspProcess
Old Jan 29, 17, 5:24 am
nux
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Air+France+Excess+Baggage%3F
Old Jan 29, 17, 5:35 am
Original Poster

None of those links really answer my question. I would like to have 4 x 23kg excess - is it allowed?

P.S. Google is not ALWAYS your friend. Sometimes a straight answer works better...
Old Jan 29, 17, 8:55 am

Programs: FB Platinum, SM Gold
Did you have any cards ?

Flying blue, American express, Skymiles (or other skyteam cards) ?

In Business without any cards, you can take 2 x 32Kg, the 23Kg limits is in economy.
But you can take 2 "small" baggage's" in cabin also. I never see any AF staff check the weight of cabin baggage...

Last edited by FBplatinum; Jan 29, 17 at 9:03 am
Old Jan 29, 17, 9:36 am
nux
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by nula1 View Post
None of those links really answer my question. I would like to have 4 x 23kg excess - is it allowed?

P.S. Google is not ALWAYS your friend. Sometimes a straight answer works better...
It is allowed if you pay the excess baggage fee
Old Jan 29, 17, 10:28 am

Yes, but it's not cheap.
Old Jan 29, 17, 10:43 am

Programs: AFKL Gold, A3 Gold

I think the luggage calculator link is very clear. TYO-CDG in business class includes 2x32KG bags. If you like to add 4 more pieces the fee would be 640 euro extra. (160 euro per bag)

Personally I'd try to package whatever you want to transport more efficiently if possible, to reduce the number of pieces. Each piece may be 158cm (Length + Width + Height), which I do not think you can do with cardboard boxes (unless you have a ton of packaging foam in there for sturdiness).

Also make sure to take advantage of the 2 pieces of hand luggage (+ accessory) to limit the number of pieces of additional luggage you'd have to buy. It may even be cheaper to ship the items with UPS/DHL than checking them in with your flight..
Old Jan 29, 17, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CyBeR View Post
Yes, but it's not cheap.
It's cheaper than shipping by air. Also less risk as I can keep the items with me (so long as the airline doesn't lose them ).

P.S. With check-in luggage, do they allow a bit over the stated limit and how much could you get away with?

Last edited by nula1; Jan 29, 17 at 5:22 pm Reason: Forgot to add
Old Jan 29, 17, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xandrios View Post
I think the luggage calculator link is very clear. TYO-CDG in business class includes 2x32KG bags. If you like to add 4 more pieces the fee would be 640 euro extra. (160 euro per bag)

Personally I'd try to package whatever you want to transport more efficiently if possible, to reduce the number of pieces. Each piece may be 158cm (Length + Width + Height), which I do not think you can do with cardboard boxes (unless you have a ton of packaging foam in there for sturdiness).

Also make sure to take advantage of the 2 pieces of hand luggage (+ accessory) to limit the number of pieces of additional luggage you'd have to buy. It may even be cheaper to ship the items with UPS/DHL than checking them in with your flight..
Yes, I did the calculator and that would be fine. I reshaped the boxes so they are just withing 158cm and on the excess 23kg limit. Yes, hand luggage also ready to go at 2 x 18kg.

One last question if anyone can help. I also have an acoustic guitar in hard case at 106 x 47 x 15 = 171cm, over the 158cm max. Would they definitely hit me for oversized, because if I'm reading that correctly the fee for that is pretty huge?
Old Jan 29, 17, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

My posts keep disappearing. What's going on...?
Old Jan 31, 17, 3:19 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
My posts keep disappearing. What's going on...?
Welcome to FlyerTalk,

As you are a newly registered poster, your posts are automatically withheld from public viewing until they are approved by a moderator of the forum. This feature has been implemented for some time, in order to reduce the amount of spamming to a minimum. On the other hand, it can make things difficult for the first posts of a new poster, and I do apologize for the inconvenience it has caused you. I wish you a pleasant and fruitful interaction with the members of the cpi-web.rumunity.

Kind regards,

Jouy31
Air France/KLM co-moderator

Last edited by JOUY31; Jan 31, 17 at 2:41 pm
Old Jan 31, 17, 3:42 am

Programs: UA, SPG, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
All the information you've asked for is right on AF's website in rather clear language.

You've got your answers on hand luggage, checked luggage, excess luggage and here is AF's statement on checked musical instruments: MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS
Checked baggage
Your musical instrument is considered as a standard checked baggage item and is included at no extra charge in your baggage allowance (except for Economy Mini and Basic fare tickets). However, if you want to transport more baggage items or if you exceed the baggage allowance for your ticket, you can purchase a Baggage Option online or pay a fee for this option at the airport.

For more information, please see the Additional baggage, excess baggage page.

Musical instruments over 32 kg / 70 lb in weight or 300 cm / 118 in in length (cello, bass, etc.) are accepted in the hold, with prior approval from our customer service department. You must submit your request at least 48 hours before your flight's departure.

Hand baggage
The conditions for transporting your musical instrument in the cabin depend on its size.

- For musical instruments smaller than 115 cm / 45 in in size, height + length + width (guitar, violin, etc.): this is considered a standard baggage item and included in your baggage allowance.
You may not transport an additional hand baggage item.

- For musical instruments larger than 115 cm / 45 in in size, height + length + width: prior approval from our customer service department is required. You must submit your request at least 48 hours before your flight's departure. Your musical instrument will be placed on 1 or more additional seats and you must pay the fare for these seats. The weight per seat must not exceed 46 kg / 101 lb.

Please note: musical instruments should be stored in hard cases with rounded edges.
Old Feb 1, 17, 9:52 pm

Programs: FB AF Ivory, BA Gold
I'm planning to fly AF Tokyo Narita (via Nagoya) to Paris CDG Business Class. I have a lot of baggage and ideally would like to take 4 cardboard boxes of 23kg each as excess baggage.

Is there likely to be any problem with this? I mean, is there a limit to how many items of excess I can take?

I plan to book my ticket the earliest I can in advance and book the excess with AF online.
Hard to understand what is your itinerary. You say that you fly via Nagoya, but AF does not fly to NGO. If your itin is NGO-NRT-CDG, you also have to worry about the cost of excess baggage on the NGO-NRT segment. I do not know JL policy.
As stated by other posters, AF website is clear on their baggage policy and costs for the NRT-CDG leg.

Search this Thread