Go Back > > >
Old Apr 2, 17, 5:02 pm #1
Original Poster

500 mile minimum and cheap fare classes on BA?

I'm unclear how the 500 mile minimum and class of service percentages work together when flying BA and earning AS miles.

The BA chart on the AS website says that flights in Q class earn 25%. Further down the page in the details it says "mileage earned is based on a percentage of actual flight miles flown, with a 500 minimum miles on flights shorter than 500 miles."

If it take a 470 mile flight in Q class, do I earn 500 miles or 125 miles (25% of 500)?

Thanks!
senor hamachi is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 17, 6:14 pm #2

Programs: AS mvpg,UA Premier,Marriott silver, Best Western Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by senor hamachi View Post
I'm unclear how the 500 mile minimum and class of service percentages work together when flying BA and earning AS miles.

The BA chart on the AS website says that flights in Q class earn 25%. Further down the page in the details it says "mileage earned is based on a percentage of actual flight miles flown, with a 500 minimum miles on flights shorter than 500 miles."

If it take a 470 mile flight in Q class, do I earn 500 miles or 125 miles (25% of 500)?

Thanks!
You would earn 500. Any flight in an eligible class will earn whichever is greater, 500 miles or the given percentage of miles (plus any bonus).
Aliquot is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 17, 6:53 am #3

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG, HH Gold, AB Gold (OW Saphire) Hertz 5*
Unfortunately its a bit more complicated than just saying you will earn 500. For status miles, you will earn 25% of the distance. For redeemable miles, you will earn 500.
Quinlanty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 17, 9:54 am #4

Programs: AS MVP Au, UA Ag, HH Au, Marriott Pt, IHG Au, Nexus, *$ Au
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinlanty View Post
Unfortunately its a bit more complicated than just saying you will earn 500. For status miles, you will earn 25% of the distance. For redeemable miles, you will earn 500.
The 500 mile minimum applies to EQM as well as RDM. The percentage rate is applied to the actual miles first, before the 500 mile minimum is applied and will be trued up if it's below.

For a 476 mile flight earning 25%, 119 miles will post as base miles (EQM and RDM). AS will post an additional 381 miles as bonus miles for the 500 mile minimum. These will count as both EQM and RDM. Any elite status bonus will be based on the 500 mile minimum and will also be posted as bonus miles (RDM only).
rustykettel is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 17, 9:42 am #5

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG, HH Gold, AB Gold (OW Saphire) Hertz 5*
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
The 500 mile minimum applies to EQM as well as RDM. The percentage rate is applied to the actual miles first, before the 500 mile minimum is applied and will be trued up if it's below.

For a 476 mile flight earning 25%, 119 miles will post as base miles (EQM and RDM). AS will post an additional 381 miles as bonus miles for the 500 mile minimum. These will count as both EQM and RDM. Any elite status bonus will be based on the 500 mile minimum and will also be posted as bonus miles (RDM only).
All of my sub 500 mile trips have haven't given me 500 status miles. I just tallied up my miles total for the year.
Quinlanty is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 17, 10:56 am #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinlanty View Post
All of my sub 500 mile trips have haven't given me 500 status miles. I just tallied up my miles total for the year.
That's strange and goes against experience reported here. I checked mine and I'm definately seeing 500 EQM minimums across AS and three partners (AA,DL,JL) in my account. Is there a specific partner you're flying sub 500 mile segments or connecting flights with the same flight number?
Old Apr 6, 17, 3:11 am #7

Programs: AS MVP, Accor Silver, Global Entry
The 500-mile minimum doesn't apply towards Million Miler qualification, but otherwise all short AS and partner flights have credited as 500 EQMs for me.
jinglish is online now Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 17, 8:03 am #8

Programs: AS MVP; HHonors Gold; NEXUS
You will get the 500. I just took BA SEA-LHR-MUC. On the LHR-MUC segment, I earned 295 miles but got bumped up to 500 for EQM based on my math.

As an aside, I did a paid AUP to WT+ and I didn't have any problems getting 100% mileage credit for that instead of the 25% I would have gotten at the original fare.
sullim4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 17, 9:37 am #9

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullim4 View Post
You will get the 500. I just took BA SEA-LHR-MUC. On the LHR-MUC segment, I earned 295 miles but got bumped up to 500 for EQM based on my math.

As an aside, I did a paid AUP to WT+ and I didn't have any problems getting 100% mileage credit for that instead of the 25% I would have gotten at the original fare.
What does AUP mean?
Calculon is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 17, 9:44 am #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinglish View Post
The 500-mile minimum doesn't apply towards Million Miler qualification
Are you sure about that? My total credited AS flying this year so far has been 2 EUG-PDX flights (106 base miles each) and my MM total is exactly 1000 miles higher.
Old Apr 6, 17, 9:53 am #11
T2A

Programs: Alaska MVP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
What does AUP mean?
AUP = Avia Business Group?

All my sub 500 miles flights on Alaska and partner airlines have been credited as 500 EQMs.
T2A is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 17, 10:26 am #12

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustykettel View Post
Are you sure about that? My total credited AS flying this year so far has been 2 EUG-PDX flights (106 base miles each) and my MM total is exactly 1000 miles higher.
Can confirm that 500 minimum will credit towards MM. I am at 160 segments and 80,000 miles towards MM. My flights actual miles are 129 and 344.
As I understand partner flights do not credit towards MM.
Idaho Territory is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 17, 10:42 am #13

Programs: AS MVP; HHonors Gold; NEXUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
What does AUP mean?
Airport UPgrade: Airport Upgrade (AUP) cost tracking thread

The upgrade from WT to WT+ from SEA was $355 last week.
sullim4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 17, 12:52 pm #14

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullim4 View Post
Airport UPgrade: Airport Upgrade (AUP) cost tracking thread

The upgrade from WT to WT+ from SEA was $355 last week.
That makes way more sense than my first guess, which was Avios UPgrade. Knew that was wrong, because the 25% fare classes aren't upgradable that way. Thanks for the answer.
Calculon is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 17, 8:31 pm #15
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. That's good news that it will be 500 EQMs. My MVPG requal this year is going to be tiiiiiight, so every mile counts.
senor hamachi is offline Reply With Quote