Go Back > > >
Old Nov 7, 17, 7:08 am #1
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Unhappy Urgent advice regarding change to award ticket made by Alitalia

Hi,

I have an award ticket LCY-LIN-CAG on the Christmas weekend. Today I have received an email for Alitalia telling me that I have been moved from the LCY-LIN in the afternoon to the service in the morning. I suspect this is because the arrival at LIN has been pushed back of 5 minutes, thus not meeting the MCT.

Not only would this force to leave in the morning, thus losing hours of work, but I will also have to spend more than 5 hours at LIN.

I called them hoping that they'd move me to a service from LHR, but they claim that I can only be moved to flights for which there is award availability. You can imagine that there is no availability at all during the weekend before Christmas. I didn't even ask to be moved to an earlier service from LIN to CAG because they are all showing 0 availability in any class. And I imagine they would not move me anyway, due to no award availability.

What kind of rights do I have? Is it true that they can only move me to a service that as award availability or that I can ask for a full refund? How much pressure can I reasonably put on them?

In the meantime flights start to sell out...
ringingup is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 7:28 am #2
Ambassador, Alitalia

Programs: AF-KL P | SK D | LH FTL | Accor G | Marriott® S | Amex® G
I'm not sure why they're being so blindly inflexible, even though I'm not surprised (by direct experience): you are not asking to be moved to a partner airline, you just want to leave from a different airport within the same departure city and further to a change of schedule which they imposed. That said, you could give them another call but I suspect you won't get the answer you're wishing for, mostly given that revenue seats for that time of year will most likely sell out (and through hefty fares, too) in the days to come.

G
AlicorporateUK is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 1:09 pm #3
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Thanks @AlicorporateUK. I am trying to see whether my travel insurance will pay for the cost of a new ticket (minus what I'd get back from AZ). I am thinking of flying directly to Olbia with Easyjet... or via AMS with KLM, although I'm worrying that if I get stuck in AMS on 23 December, it may not be easy nor cheap to find alternative routing to Sardinia!
ringingup is offline Reply With Quote