When do you pay the baggage fees?

Old Apr 16, 09, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

When do you pay the baggage fees?

Sorry, I did a search and didn't find the answer. I haven't flown a baggage fee airline since these fees went into effect...just SWA with no fees. Today I found a great rate on American for a trip I wanted to take from my local airport instead of having to drive 3 1/2 hours to go SWA. So, I booked it. I kept thinking there would be a screen asking me how many bags and I would pay that as part of the ticketing process, but I never saw it. Did I miss it? Or are all baggage fees paid upon check in? Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 09, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.6 MM, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vossjemi View Post
Or are all baggage fees paid upon check in? Thanks.
For nonelite members, baggage fees are paid upon check in at the airport.
Old Apr 16, 09, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

I would say I'm definitely non elite. I have a ff#, but last time I flew AA was Thanksgiving 07 and before that Feb 06 and before that April 04, so not very often. Thanks! I thought some airlines charged more at check in that if you did it during booking (I want to say Allegiant) that I wanted to be sure I didn't miss the boat. Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 09, 9:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
All the information you need is found on aa.com under the baggage section.

http://aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...eAllowance.jsp

All fees paid on check-in, not before.
Old Apr 16, 09, 10:03 pm

Programs: IHG
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8350i/4.6.1.204 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

I paid mine @ time of check-in. Although I have seen where flyers take their bags to the gate and hope its full so they can be checked without charge.
Old Apr 16, 09, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by rmccamman View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8350i/4.6.1.204 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/103)

I paid mine @ time of check-in. Although I have seen where flyers take their bags to the gate and hope its full so they can be checked without charge.
The GAs are onto this trick.
Old Apr 17, 09, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by skylady View Post
The GAs are onto this trick.
Can the GAs charge a baggage fee for a gate checked bag? If they can, do many GAs do this? I have never observed it, but I usually board first, so it would be unlikely for me to see it if, indeed, it is happening.
Old Apr 17, 09, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by cparekh View Post
Can the GAs charge a baggage fee for a gate checked bag? If they can, do many GAs do this? I have never observed it, but I usually board first, so it would be unlikely for me to see it if, indeed, it is happening.
While waiting for standby or upgrade clearance, I've noticed GAs charging for bags that are obviously too large to be carryon. It's happened several times at ORD and elsewhere, too, although I don't remember the location.

One of the more memorable times was an exchange between an ORD GA and a lady who (claimed she) didn't understand English. The GA was adamant about the fee and eventually sent for an interpreter.
Old May 3, 09, 8:46 pm

I'm a lifetime Gold and will be traveling with my family who have no status and was wondering if I am limited to 2 bags at no charge? Will I have to pay $15 for each additional bag in my party on the same reservation? Here's a clip from the AA website and the way I read it the rest of my party would not be required to pay for each bag.

From the AA website:

The following customers will not be charged to check a bag provided the bag is within the weight allowance:

Customers flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)

Thanks for any help someone can lend!
Old May 3, 09, 9:12 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ChicAAgo View Post
I'm a lifetime Gold and will be traveling with my family who have no status and was wondering if I am limited to 2 bags at no charge? Will I have to pay $15 for each additional bag in my party on the same reservation? Here's a clip from the AA website and the way I read it the rest of my party would not be required to pay for each bag.

From the AA website:

The following customers will not be charged to check a bag provided the bag is within the weight allowance:

Customers flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)

Thanks for any help someone can lend!
If they are on your PNR, they won't be charged for the first two bags each.
Old May 3, 09, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, HHonors Gold, RC Rewards Gold, VIPorter
I have also traveled with friends on separate PNRs that have no status on AA and the agents at STL have always gone ahead and waived the baggage fee for them simply for traveling with me.

Search this Thread