MD-80 / Super 80 best seats (consolidated)

Old Feb 21, 13, 4:44 am - Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
American still has ~a couple of hundred MD-80s and MD-83s (from TW) for medium haul work; they are scheduled to be replaced by other aircraft over time. Currently, these are not configured for Main Cabin Extra.

First (international Business), rows 3 - 6, is configured in four rows of two (total 16) seats across on each side of the aisle; the port / left side seats have slightly less pitch than starboard. They are all configured with "cigar lighter" 15 VDC electric outlets.

Main Cabin (Coach by any other name), rows 7 - 32, is configured 2 seats across port, 3 starboard. Not all seats have electric outlets (most do). Row 20 (limited recline on window seat) and 21 (no recline limitations) are the Exit rows. Row 19 window seat has no recline at all. The farther aft (back) you are, the louder it will be due to the rear-mounted engines.
See the aa.com seat chart here - click on MD80 Seat Map - click to enlarge.
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 19, 13, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, Hertz PC, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
MD-80 / Super 80 best seats (consolidated)

The Wiki, SeatGuru and SeatExpert all have Y section of AA MD-80 start at Row 7. The seatmap for my flight shows Y starting at Row 8 (AA350 May 8). Have Mad Dogs been recently reconfigured?

P.S. And what's the verdict on bulkhead A/B seats?

Last edited by miamigrad; Feb 21, 13 at 10:47 am Reason: Updated thread title and restored OP title
Old Feb 21, 13, 10:53 am

Programs: AA 1.1 MM/LT Gold
Hello legalalien,

Your recent post to the FAQ thread was moved into a new thread, as posts to that thread are meant for discussion of the content of the FAQ itself.

I did a search for seating options for the MD-80 / Super 80, and to my surprise, didn't find any recent threads (there was one that is ~11 years old, so I started this new thread for your question).

If any FT member knows of a more recent thread, please use the "Alert Moderator to this Post" function (the little triangle below each members name in lower left corner of the post) and we'll take care of that.

On a final note, please also see this entry in the AA Wiki, which discusses planes and seats in the AA fleet:
http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index...and_Seats_(AA)

and the thread that discusses Preferred Plus vs. Preferred MD-80 seating: http://cpi-web.ru/forum/ameri...ting-md80.html

Thanks for your understanding.
/ AA forum co-moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 21, 13 at 2:45 pm Reason: add second thread link
Old Feb 21, 13, 12:09 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; IHG Plat, Marriott Gold; OMNIPat;
Originally Posted by legalalien View Post
The Wiki, SeatGuru and SeatExpert all have Y section of AA MD-80 start at Row 7. The seatmap for my flight shows Y starting at Row 8 (AA350 May 8). Have Mad Dogs been recently reconfigured?

P.S. And what's the verdict on bulkhead A/B seats?
I see that on other future MD80 flights too, but the flights this month that I checked do show row 7.

Th MD-80's are supposed to get Main Cabin Extra, so I'd assume this seat map reflects that.

As far as the bulkhead, in the old (current) configuration, I don't like 7AB. The leg room is pretty bad, and I'm only 5'8". 7EF are a little better, and 7D has the most legroom of any sat on the plane.
Old Feb 21, 13, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, Hertz PC, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by swag View Post
I see that on other future MD80 flights too, but the flights this month that I checked do show row 7.

Th MD-80's are supposed to get Main Cabin Extra, so I'd assume this seat map reflects that.

As far as the bulkhead, in the old (current) configuration, I don't like 7AB. The leg room is pretty bad, and I'm only 5'8". 7EF are a little better, and 7D has the most legroom of any sat on the plane.
Thanks for the feedback! I assume MCE bulkhead should be fine as far as legroom is concerned, so I'll keep our 7A/B, and if our plane is swithced to an old one, we won't be in the bulkhead row anymore. Win-win?
Old Feb 23, 13, 10:04 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, DL/UA Silver, HH DIA, Hyatt Expl, IHG PLT, Marriott/SPG GLD, Hertz PC, Amtrak Select
I'm a recent convert to 7A. The last two MD-80s I've flown in Y (both RDU-DFW, ~3 hours) I changed from 21A to 7A a check-in when 7A opened up. You get about the same legroom as 21A (maybe a little less) but you get off the plane 14 rows quicker which is a big deal to me. Plus, quicker beverage in the air and a (total conjecture here) slightly higher chance of an empty seat next to you as these seats are check-in only and rows 20 and 21 are available at booking.
Old Feb 23, 13, 10:55 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

The MD-80 MCE conversion began last month and is supposed to be done in the second quarter:

Factors contributing to this estimated reduction in capacity include the absence of Leap Day in 2013, and progress American has made in implementing its Main Cabin Extra program removing seats from the coach cabin. To date, American has completed the retrofit of its Boeing 757 and 767 fleets, has completed approximately half of its 737 fleet, and will commence the retrofit of the MD-80 fleet in January 2013 with completion targeted for the second quarter.
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....070&highlight=
Old Feb 25, 13, 7:05 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
I have a flight on the 28th of March (departing SAN for DFW) and the row in Y starts in 8 and I can select the seat. So I guess it's been confirmed. I have no idea how to post a picture on here or I would. However, it still seems as if Row 8 D-F are still blocked and under airport control.
Old Mar 1, 13, 2:15 pm
wjj

Programs: AA EXP and CK - 4 mm; Hilton Diamond; SPG Gold
MD 80 Seating

Is AA putting MCE in the MD 80s? I thought not, but.......

I am on MD 80s ORD-DCA in early April and on both the outbound and return coach seating starts with row 8 and not 7. The exit rows are still 20 and 21. I normally get upgraded but always chose 20 or 21 B or C (assuming they are available) just in case. I grabbed 8B this time thinking more leg room up front (I am 6'4" so I appreciate a little more room). But I am not convinced that the seating chart is right. The open seats are green and not blue. But then where did the extra row go?

Anyone run into this?

Flights are 1452 and 1987. April 10 and 11.
Old Mar 1, 13, 2:20 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; IHG Plat, Marriott Gold; OMNIPat;
Originally Posted by wjj View Post
Is AA putting MCE in the MD 80s? I thought not, but.......

I am on MD 80s ORD-DCA in early April and on both the outbound and return coach seating starts with row 8 and not 7. The exit rows are still 20 and 21. I normally get upgraded but always chose 20 or 21 B or C (assuming they are available) just in case. I grabbed 8B this time thinking more leg room up front (I am 6'4" so I appreciate a little more room). But I am not convinced that the seating chart is right. The open seats are green and not blue. But then where did the extra row go?

Anyone run into this?

Flights are 1452 and 1987. April 10 and 11.
See http://cpi-web.ru/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Mar 1, 13, 2:25 pm
wjj

Programs: AA EXP and CK - 4 mm; Hilton Diamond; SPG Gold
Sorry. I missed that. Thanks.
Old Mar 1, 13, 2:55 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

AA recently announced that it anticipated finishing the MD-80 MCE conversion sometime in the second quarter of this year.
Old Mar 1, 13, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
My wife and I have a trip on an MD-80 in May and I was able to select 8 A&B, which showed as the first row in coach. I assume that is MCE.

AA removed a row to make MCE a legitimate bump in legroom. Much better than DL did for its Economy "Comfort" on most of its planes.
Old Mar 1, 13, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
My wife and I have a trip on an MD-80 in May and I was able to select 8 A&B, which showed as the first row in coach. I assume that is MCE.

AA removed a row to make MCE a legitimate bump in legroom. Much better than DL did for its Economy "Comfort" on most of its planes.

But if they took out the old MD-80 seats and installed articulating recline seats instead (a little bird tells me these are the same seats used in the backs of police cruisers), then it's a downgrade.
Old Mar 1, 13, 5:48 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Originally Posted by lobo411 View Post
But if they took out the old MD-80 seats and installed articulating recline seats instead (a little bird tells me these are the same seats used in the backs of police cruisers), then it's a downgrade.
AA is not installing new econ seats in any MD-80s. Those thin torture chairs will be reserved for 777s, 757s, 738s and probably the 763s that get the new lie-flat J (approx half the fleet).
Old Mar 2, 13, 7:31 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
AA is not installing new econ seats in any MD-80s. Those thin torture chairs will be reserved for 777s, 757s, 738s and probably the 763s that get the new lie-flat J (approx half the fleet).
+1

Search this Thread