Go Back Cpi-Web Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page > Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. master thread

Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. master thread

Old Oct 13, 17, 7:36 am - Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. (2015-onward)

Note: Live AA baggage tracking became available 15 Sep 2015.

Track your bags Link
September 18, 2015:

Hello, Addressee,
AAdvantage <status tier> Number:

You can now follow your checked bags from check-in to carousel with your smartphone, laptop or tablet. See real-time information about your bag's status, including when your bag is checked in, on a plane or at baggage claim. All you need is your bag tag number or your record locator.

And, if your flight has Wi-Fi onboard, you can track your bags in the air for free.

Here's how to get started:
  • Go to aa.com/baggage
  • Click "Track your bags"
  • Enter your last name and bag tag # or record locator
Keep track of your bags from check-in to touchdown using your record locator or bag tag number.
NOTE: On itineraries with more than one airline, the responsible airline for lost or delayed baggage is the final carrier; that carrier's procedures may differ from AA's. In any case, most do require if you arrive at your destination and your baggage has not arrived (or has been damaged), be sure to fill out a baggage claim form prior to leaving the airport.

American Airlines: Delayed Baggage
:Baggage delayed less than 5 days
Phone: +1-800-535-5225
24 hours, 7 days a week

Baggage delayed longer than 5 days
See aa.com/bagstatus for further information.
American Airlines: Delayed or missing baggage:

We do our best to ensure that your checked bag travels on the same flight with you. If your bag does not arrive on your flight, our goal is to return your bag to you within 24 hours. The measures may take longer for international itineraries due to flight frequency or Customs and Immigration procedures.

Note: These procedures apply when American Airlines or American Eagle are taking you to your final destination.

If you are unable to locate your checked bag:

Notify an American Airlines/American Eagle baggage service agent prior to leaving the airport (If you purchased the American Airlines baggage delivery service provided through BAGS VIP Luggage Delivery in advance of travel, notification must be made within 12 hours of the arrival of the flight on which you traveled.)
  • You will be given a confidential file locator ID and a brochure explaining the recovery process
  • Our Baggage Service desk will contact you periodically to keep you informed of our progress in locating your bag (aspirational statement)
  • Refer to your confidential six-letter file locator (not your PNR) in all conversation and correspondence regarding your delayed bag
  • Use your last name and confidential six-letter baggage file locator (not your PNR)to check the status of your bag.Check Baggage Status
If your bag isn't located in five (5) days:
  • Central Baggage Service will take over the tracing effort
  • Fill out and return a Property Questionnaire within 30 days from the date you traveled
  • Available on the 6th day at aa.com/bagstatus.
  • Mailed to your permanent address within 10 days of your travel date.
  • Complete the questionnaire in its entirety including specific details such as colors, sizes, brand names and logos as well as information such as book titles, medication, electronics, gifts, souvenirs and food items
  • Retain a copy for your records
Damaged baggage:

Prompt notification of a damaged bag helps us get your property to you promptly therefore all American Airlines and American Eagle airport locations are equipped to handle the initial report, evaluation and settlement of damage claims. If your bag is damaged, please notify us:
  • In person before leaving the airport
  • At the latest, within 24 hours after you receive your bag for domestic itineraries
  • Within 7 days for international itineraries
Please notify us as soon as possible. Failure to report damage to baggage within the prescribed time limit releases American Airlines and American Eagle from any liability.
Wheels, "protuberances" etc. please see:

Notice regarding damage to wheels, handles, and other components of checked baggage

Baggage_Guidance_rev_11242015.pdf (link)

About this Document

In September 2015, the Office of Aviation Enforcement and Proceedings (Enforcement Office) conducted extensive inspections of U.S. and foreign air carriers’ operations at 16 U.S. airports. The Enforcement Office found, among other things, that carriers routinely exclude from liability damage to specific parts of checked baggage, such as wheels, straps, zippers, handles, and protruding parts. Carriers often post signs indicating that they categorically refuse to compensate passengers for such items. In some instances, carrier agents also discouraged or refused to accept reports of such damage.
If from an international flight, Article 17 of the Montreal Convention applies; see below. The final operating carrier is responsible for locating and returning, or compensating the checking passenger if not delivered within 21 days.

"The Montreal Convention changes and generally increases the maximum liability of airlines for lost baggage to a fixed amount 1,131 SDR per passenger (the amount in the Warsaw Convention is based on weight of the baggage). It requires airlines to fully compensate travellers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR (XDR currency code, ~$1,652 May 2017). At 21 days any delayed baggage is considered lost, even if the airline delivers it after that period."

The SDR on 28 Aug 2017 was valued at $1.42, so 1,131 SDR was approximately $1,603.00. Use this link to convert SDR to USD.

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage; FAQ.

Link to aa.com LIABILITY LIMITATIONS regarding baggage - but see

USDOT reminder to airlines compensation is due for damaged wheels, straps, etc.

Link to aa.com DAMAGED BAGGAGE

Link to aa.com Delayed Baggage tracking form (need baggage claim file locator number to use)

American Airlines Conditions of Carriage (See BAGGAGE et seq., including Liability.)

Link to PDF about baggage damage and loss by Christopher Cotter, Attorney at Law.

Q. I flew internationally. What rules governs baggage damage or loss?

Article 17 of the Montreal Convention:

"2. The carrier liable for damage sustained in case of destruction or loss of, or of damage to, checked baggage upon condition only that the event which caused the destruction, loss or damage took place on board the aircraft or during any period within which the checked baggage was in the charge of the carrier. However, the carrier is not liable if and to the extent that the damage resulted from the inherent defect, quality or vice of the baggage. In the case of unchecked baggage, including personal items, the carrier is liable if the damage resulted from its fault or that of its servants or agents.

3. If the carrier admits the loss of the checked baggage, or if the checked baggage has not arrived at the expiration of twenty-one days after the date on which it ought to have arrived, the passenger is entitled to enforce against the carrier the rights which flow from the contract of carriage.

4. Unless otherwise specified, in this Convention the term "baggage" means both checked baggage and unchecked baggage."

Q. What can I do to help prevent or resolve baggage loss?
  • Don't place valuables in your checked baggage; such loss is generally not covered by airline policy. Some airports have higher pilferage and theft rates.
  • Have two baggage tags, affixed at different points on each bag; handles do get torn off.
  • Use a baggage belt: some have TSA-approved locks, and a belt may keep your bag from spilling contents if it becomes damaged. A bright color helps distinguish your bag from similar ones.
  • Add a pom, ribbon or other device enabling you - and others - to distinguish your bag from similar / identical bags.
  • Have identifying information and an itinerary inside your case where it will be seen if the bag is opened (which will occur if external tags are lost). Some use an itinerary tag such as this Magellan's retriever tags.
  • Have a photo or two of your bags on your smartphone to show the baggage clerk exactly what your bag looks like.
Others suggest:
  • Don't use high end luggage; fancy, famous brands and fine finishes make your bag a target of thieves.
  • Airline status tags mark your bag as belonging to a high value customer, but nobody's provided evidence that helps. Some have reported status tagged bags may be targeted for delays during industrial actions such as employee slowdowns or strikes.

Updated: Updated: 28 Aug 2017

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 8, 15, 8:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Lost baggage /luggage delay, loss, damage - advice, compensation, etc. master thread

Archived thread may be found here: http://cpi-web.ru/forum/ameri...solidated.html

Also, please see wiki above for more information. Thanks! /AA Moderators

Last edited by JY1024; Jan 3, 16 at 10:53 am Reason: updating first post
Old Jan 3, 16, 1:12 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA EXP / 5.5 MM; HH <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts older than 2016 have been archived to

http://cpi-web.ru/forum/ameri...re-2015-a.html

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 28, 17 at 10:43 pm
Old Jan 4, 16, 2:01 pm
COU

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, MR Gold, HH Gold
AA 300 ORD-LAS cancelled on 12/28/15 after sitting on taxiway for a couple hours. It was late so they didn't have crew to take the bags off until the next day. Have contacted AA all week, they say they gave it to a delivery service.....it's now a week later, many more calls, and no one seems to know where the bag is....
Old Jan 5, 16, 2:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, UM Go Blue
Back in mid-November, my bag was seriously delayed because AA sent it from LAX-LHR, instead of where it was ticketed to go: LAX-DTW-LGA. How, in this day and age, they could have done this is beyond me. Regardless, they sent it to London.

At the time, the baggage services team were pretty proactive about it, calling me with updates. They told me to purchase whatever I needed and send them the original receipts for reimbursement. I did that, and haven't heard form them since then. I started calling a few days ago to check on the status of the reimbursement check. I started with Twitter, who initially only gave me the Central Baggage Services Team number: 800-535-5225. Then they said they would send all the info to them and keep me updated - nothing happened there either.

BY phone, Central Baggage Services only says that the bag was delivered. I am not disputing that - I did receive it almost two days later. But they basically keep saying "the check is in the mail."

How can I escalate this and actually get the promised check? Twitter and 800-535-5225 are worthless. I am feeling jerked around, and, per their request, they have all my original receipts (although I do have copies.)
Old Jan 5, 16, 2:47 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Unbelievable delayed baggage handling at DCA

Hi all, trying to gauge what kind of compensation I can get for the massive headache that the following caused me.

I'm an AA Platinum and was flying in Y.

Booked on IAH-CLT-DCA on Jan 1. Inbound flight to IAH went mechanical, so GA confirmed me on IAH-DFW-DCA at the last minute and on the last flight of the evening. I didn't expect my bag to make it, and sure enough online bag tracker showed that it was on the earliest flight to DCA the next morning (DFW-LAS-DCA); and indeed the baggage office at DCA confirmed that that evening. I was told my bag would be in hand the afternoon of Sat 1/2.

Come ~9 PM on 1/2, no word at all and no incoming phone calls. I called the central AA baggage office and agent tells me that my bag arrived at DCA in the morning and that an attempt was made to deliver but it was unable to be delivered. This makes no sense as my phone was on my person all day and a number of friends/work colleagues were able to call me yet I received no incoming or missed calls from any other numbers. After some impassioned begging, I am able to get the direct number for the company AA contracts to deliver delayed baggage out of DCA.

This is where the fun begins. The next 36 hours are some of the most infuriating I've ever experienced, with a lot of non-responsiveness and baseless guarantees and promises from the contracted company. Short-ish version here.

The first thing I notice is that about 90% of the time I try calling the company (I made about 15-20 attempted calls over the course of that evening, and about 2-3 dozen more over the next day and a half), no one answers, despite the fact I was told at a later time that the office is open until 1 AM. When I'm finally able to get someone on the line, he has no explanation for why it says the bag was unable to be delivered on Saturday 1/2, but says they will get it to me by Sunday 1/3 for sure.

By 1 PM Sunday, I haven't heard from anyone so I call the company to get an update. After about 45 mins of calling every few minutes and getting no response, I finally get through to someone who says I will have my bag by 4 PM. I am pretty frustrated at this point and press him on whether that is an estimate or a hard deadline. He says it is a hard deadline and I will have my bag for sure by 4.

6 PM Sunday night. No word from anyone and no incoming phone calls. I struggle to get ahold of someone at the company for another 15-20 minutes, finally asking for a manager. He tells me that because of the failed attempt yesterday (that I'm convinced was not ever actually made), the bag went back to AA and the company just got my bag back at 6 PM (ie a few minutes before I called). There won't be any more scheduled deliveries to my area that evening, but if I'd like they can do a special rush request and I will get bag between 11 PM - 3 AM. As my drivers license (coming home from an int'l trip so I had my passport/passport card in carryon while leaving license in checked bag), work clothes, and computer charger are in the bag, I tell him to put in that request. He says that my bag will definitely be delivered by 3 AM.

Come morning of 1/4 (now 2 days since my bag arrived at DCA), no word from anyone. I struggle all morning to get ahold of the company (stayed home from work as no license and no work clothes) and after literally 2-3 dozen attempts, finally get through. Of course my bag never went out last night, no explanation for why. Person on the phone says they will send it out this morning and will be in my hand by 11 AM.

11:30 AM: Nothing. Enraged at the incompetency of this company that can't seem to get it together, I struggle on the phone for another 30 minutes before finally getting ahold of someone who I pressure into giving me the number of the actual driver responsible for my bag. Finally get in touch with driver, who promises a 1 PM arrival.

1 PM: After an unbelievable ~60 hours, my bag is finally in hand. I notice immediately as the driver hands it over that the TSA lock on my bag has been opened and the zippers moved. After opening my bag at home, it is obvious that stuff has been moved (various things changed zippered compartments), yet there is no letter from TSA saying that my bag was opened. While I don't think anything went missing, I do find this disturbing as every time TSA has opened a bag of mine, they leave a note.

Apologies for the long-windedness here, but I tried to keep it as succinct as I could. Honestly, this whole process was absurd and it boggles my mind as to why various employees at the company would repeatedly promise me things they were unable to deliver on. In addition, why would the driver on Saturday say that he was not able to deliver when in reality no attempt to deliver was ever made? Finally, it is unfathomable to me that 90% of the time a phone in an office rings, no one is willing or present to answer it.

I understand that the majority of my gripes lie not with AA directly but with the company they contracted to provide delivery. Yet I feel like that this does fall under AA's responsibility as they should at least have some idea of how the company does business. In the end, I had no clothes, computer, or drivers license for a weekend and missed over half a day of work. My bag was at DCA the morning of 1/2 and I didn't get it until 1 PM on 1/4 -- this, I think, is the most ridiculous part of the whole ordeal.

I will be writing a strongly worded letter to AA requesting compensation, but would love to hear others' thoughts and suggestions for what to request.
Old Jan 6, 16, 6:45 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Gold, Fairmont Platinum (No Airline Status, a first in 7 years)
Originally Posted by Wollstonecraft View Post
Back in mid-November, my bag was seriously delayed because AA sent it from LAX-LHR, instead of where it was ticketed to go: LAX-DTW-LGA. How, in this day and age, they could have done this is beyond me. Regardless, they sent it to London.

At the time, the baggage services team were pretty proactive about it, calling me with updates. They told me to purchase whatever I needed and send them the original receipts for reimbursement. I did that, and haven't heard form them since then. I started calling a few days ago to check on the status of the reimbursement check. I started with Twitter, who initially only gave me the Central Baggage Services Team number: 800-535-5225. Then they said they would send all the info to them and keep me updated - nothing happened there either.

BY phone, Central Baggage Services only says that the bag was delivered. I am not disputing that - I did receive it almost two days later. But they basically keep saying "the check is in the mail."

How can I escalate this and actually get the promised check? Twitter and 800-535-5225 are worthless. I am feeling jerked around, and, per their request, they have all my original receipts (although I do have copies.)
I am having the exact same issue. I was never told the check is in the mail however.

Today twitter DM told me to call that 800 number, when I finally got past the automated maze a person on 1-800-535-5225 informed me that I really needed to be calling 1-480-693-2191 which dead-ends at a sometimes full voicemail box.

I have emailed [email protected] again and left voicemails at the 480 number. If I don't get a followup by next week I'll file with D.O.T.
Old Jan 8, 16, 8:31 pm

Someone stole my bag? Seriously?

I am pissed right now.
I had a bunch of delays last week and AA lost one of my bag's.
Well, 24 hours ago it was scanned in LAX.
And it was supposed to be on a flight to SAN yesterday.
Now, it never made it to San Diego.

Central Bag resolution now states that the bag was "stolen".

Im pissed because I had two Isiah Blazers and a bunch of tailored dress shirts in the bag.
What a shame!
How does AA put a bag with an expedited tag on there on the carousel anyway? Shouldnt baggage handlers see that tag?

the 2 blazers alone cost $3000. Damn.
Old Jan 8, 16, 8:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA EXP / 5.5 MM; HH <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
I am pissed right now.
I had a bunch of delays last week and AA lost one of my bag's.
Well, 24 hours ago it was scanned in LAX.
And it was supposed to be on a flight to SAN yesterday.
Now, it never made it to San Diego.

Central Bag resolution now states that the bag was "stolen".

Im pissed because I had two Isiah Blazers and a bunch of tailored dress shirts in the bag.
What a shame!
How does AA put a bag with an expedited tag on there on the carousel anyway? Shouldnt baggage handlers see that tag?

the 2 blazers alone cost $3000. Damn.
You're covered if:

You declared the extra value and took out supplemental insurance;

or your homeowner's or other insurance covers it.

The maximum value AA can be held to is that established by the Warsaw Convention as amended at Montreal, if the value can be proven, as described
here.

Theft happens. U.S. airports and airlines have declined to provide security for delivered baggage (e.g. requiring matching receipt to the tag prior to permitting egress from the baggage recovery area) and there are professional thieves and gangs who expertly steal baggage. And some baggage handlers have been caught for theft as well.

Isaia (iirc the proper name) blazers... or ISAIA...) sad loss, I suspect. We're those in an expensive designer bag? Top target for professional thieves, unfortunately. Next time, maybe a courier? Good luck.
Old Jan 8, 16, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz G, SPG G, HH DM, VX G
I suggest taking expensive stuff as a carryon. I don't expect a suit to be too cumbersome to carryon and have the FA hang it up.
Old Jan 8, 16, 8:57 pm

Nope. Lands End bag. LOL. Cheap bag.
Old Jan 10, 16, 10:45 am

I received the bag... With Nothing in it. Took pictures. Informed courier that there's nothing in bag to have it all documented.

Now my insurance policy won't cover the loss till I settle with AA.

How long does that take?
Old Jan 12, 16, 4:09 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt GP Diamond, Shangri-La GC Diamond, AA EXP, SQ KF Gold, CX MP GO, Emirates Gold
Originally Posted by surftb15 View Post
Now my insurance policy won't cover the loss till I settle with AA.

How long does that take?
I am in month 6 and still going.
Old Jan 13, 16, 1:42 pm

I would appreciate if someone could PM the telephone for the LAX baggage office. They don't pick up calls from anyone, including staff and I want to try it for myself.
Old Jan 14, 16, 8:05 am

The context is, our bags have been in LAX for two days, they were last tracked being offloaded there and should have been forwarded to SFO, but nothing has happened. This strikes me as very odd because they have so many scheduled flights each day and yet they haven't moved. I am calling the call centre a few times a day, and they are sending emails to the LAX station, but nothing.
Old Jan 16, 16, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, Nat Exec. Elt, SPG Plt100, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Gld, Hyatt Dmd, HH Gld, CC Gld
EXP, on one itinerary, my bag was delayed by more than 12 hours on both the outbound and the return flight.

I e-mailed AA customer relations. No voucher or miles were given. I spent around 35k in airfare with AA in 2015.

Would you expect a voucher or miles in this scenario?