Go Back > > >
Old Nov 6, 17, 2:45 am - Wikipost
Cpi-Web Forums Thread Wiki: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Aircraft-specific threads exist (see below) when you know what configuration and cabin you're in and have questions about it. When you're unsure of your flight's configuration or have questions about multiple flights, this new help desk thread will cater to that type of Help-Desk-style question.

Please help fill in the blanks by sharing what you learn.

Another most useful tool is the New American Fleet Tracker, here Though it began with the purpose of tracking LAA, LUS or New AA paint color schemes transition, more useful information is included (e.g. AVOD, seating configuration, etc.)

Quote:
This site was created and is maintained by enthusiasts of AMERICAN AIRLINES and provides only publicly available information. It is not sponsored or supported by AMERICAN AIRLINES or AMERICAN AIRLINES GROUP in anyway.
ThreeJulietTango states at this time "Mainline LUS flights are identifiable by flight numbers in the 400-899 and 1675-2174 ranges." This may not last.

A basic listing of long haul aircraft and Business seats is provided in post #3.

The 2017 Fleet Plan, released 27 Jan 2017, may be seen here.

Below is a list of current aircraft-specific threads which contain details about aircraft seats and configurations.

LAA (Legacy American Airlines) Aircraft

Airbus A319-100 – 319
A321-200 – 32B ("32B" are all A321-200 with "Sharklets" wingtip devices)
Boeing 737-800 – 738 and 737 MAX 8
Boeing 757-200 – 752 / 75L
Boeing 767-300 – 763 (14 retired 2016, going to 25 late 2017)
Boeing 777-223ER – 777 / 772 (47 total in fleet)
Boeing 777-300ER – 77W (18 total)
Boeing 787-8 – 788 (20 ordered)
Boeing 787-9 - 789 (22 ordered) (1 Q3, 3 Q4 2016)
McDonnell Douglas MD-80 – S80 (54 remaining Jun 2017)

LUS (Legacy US Airways)

Airbus A319-100 – 319
Airbus A320-200 – 320
Airbus A321-200 – 321 ("321" are A321-200 with no "Sharklets" wingtip devices)
Airbus A330-200 – 332 (15 in fleet)
Airbus A330-300 – 333 (The 9 P&W powered A330 are being returned to their lessor in 2018)
Airbus A350 (total 22 ordered) (coming 2017 2018)
Boeing 757-200 – 752
American Eagle / Regional:
Miscellaneous related threads:

Historical Notes:

America West Airlines organized in February 1981 and began operations August 1, 1983. The airline grew rapidly, included flights to Hawaii and Japan and operated aircraft as large as the Boeing 747-200 (4 leased in from KLM). It's first bankruptcy filing was in 1991, and after reorganization on 1994, hired W. Douglas Parker in June 1995 as Senior Vice President and CFO. IN 2001, he was elected Chairman, President and CEO in September 2001

US Airways' origin was in 1939 as All American Aviation, which changed its name in 1939 to All American Airways and again in 1949 to Allegheny Airlines. In 1979, with the passing of the Airline Deregulation Act and Allegheny Airlines became US Air. Allegheny took Lake Central Airlines in 1968 and Mohawk Airlines in 1972.

US further acquired Piedmont Airlines and Pacific Southwest Airlines in 1989, established the US Airways Shuttle after buying the remains of Trump Shuttle and was taken over by America West Airlines in a reverse takeover merger in 2005; the airline, under the direction of HP CEO Doug Parker and his team, rebranded as US Airways.

The new US Airways acquired American Airlines in a reverse takeover in 2013, rebranding as American Airlines. The Federal Aviation Administration granted a single operating certificate (SOC) for US Airways and American Airlines on April 8, 2015.

American Airlines began when when Robertson Aircraft Corporation and Colonial Air Transport merged in 1929 into holding company The Aviation Corporation. In 1930 this became an operating company branded American Airways. In 1934 it was renamed American Airlines. After filing bankruptcy in 2011, it was taken over by US Airways in 2013, which chose to continue with the American Airlines brand. The Parker leadership team continues to administer the new American Airlines.

American Airlines included AirCal, American Inter-Island Airlines, American Overseas Airways, Colonial Air Transport, Reno Air, Robertson Aircraft Corporation, Trans Caribbean Airways, Trans World Airlines.

US Airways included Allegheny Airlines, America West Airlines, Empire Airlines, Lake Central Airlines, MetroJet, Mohawk Airlines, Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA), Piedmont Airlines, Trump Shuttle and USAir.

Link to Wikipedia page on America West Airlines.

Link to Wikipedia page on US Airways

Link to Wikipedia page on American Airlines

Updated 28 Sep 2017 - JDiver

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 6, 17, 2:33 am #1201

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
How to tell difference between plane versions...

I'm flying out of SYR in March, with a layover at CLT, and then flying to RSW.

As people here probably know, there's two different types (or more) of each aircraft; one is normally newer and has more modern technology than the other.

On the way there, I have a flight on an A319 and an A321. Here's the map for each one:

(A321)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(A319)

Sorry for the large images folks, I couldn't find a way to make them smaller!

How do I know which version plane I'm flying on?
mikesyr18 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 8:30 am #1202

Programs: AGR S, SPG PLT, MAR PLT, HGP Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesyr18 View Post
I'm flying out of SYR in March, with a layover at CLT, and then flying to RSW.

As people here probably know, there's two different types (or more) of each aircraft; one is normally newer and has more modern technology than the other.

On the way there, I have a flight on an A319 and an A321. Here's the map for each one:

(A321)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(A319)

Sorry for the large images folks, I couldn't find a way to make them smaller!

How do I know which version plane I'm flying on?
You're on the LUS A321 and a 99.9% chance of the LUS A319. The former doesn't have power while the latter does and they both have wifi, but no seat back entertainment.
iadisgreat is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:03 am #1203

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iadisgreat View Post
You're on the LUS A321 and a 99.9% chance of the LUS A319. The former doesn't have power while the latter does and they both have wifi, but no seat back entertainment.
What's LUS?
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:06 am #1204

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*
Quote:
What's LUS?
Legacy US Air
PDXAA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:08 am #1205

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXAA View Post
Legacy US Air
... Figures they put me on the crappy planes. Just another nail in the coffin for AA and this is the first time I've ever used them.

It does say here: https://aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nes/planes.jsp
That both A319's have power though, so I'm confused.
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:15 am #1206

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*
Quote:
... Figures they put me on the crappy planes. Just another nail in the coffin for AA and this is the first time I've ever used them.

It does say here: https://aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nes/planes.jsp
That both A319's have power though, so I'm confused.
As iadisgreat said, 321 = no power (well one version has power) and 319 = power on both versions.
PDXAA is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:16 am #1207

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXAA View Post
As iadisgreat said, 321 = no power (well one version has power) and 319 = power on both versions.
Man, I am really out of it today LOL.
Old Nov 6, 17, 1:34 pm #1208

Programs: AGR S, SPG PLT, MAR PLT, HGP Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Quote:
What's LUS?
Legacy US Airways plane. All A319s that AA flies have the same configuration, but the LUS planes don't have inseat IFE, but they do have streaming entertainment on your device.
iadisgreat is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 3:25 am #1209

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadisgreat View Post
Legacy US Airways plane. All A319s that AA flies have the same configuration, but the LUS planes don't have inseat IFE, but they do have streaming entertainment on your device.
Stinks, but I guess I should bring my Mac or iPad as a carry on. Was probably going to bring my Mac anyways.
Old Yesterday, 7:59 am #1210

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, IHG AMB PLT,
Quote:
Stinks, but I guess I should bring my Mac or iPad as a carry on. Was probably going to bring my Mac anyways.
Not all LAA planes have IFE so cool your jets. Having it stream on your device is a better choice, would rather use my iPAD then a small screen anyhow. Also if you are worried about battery life, purchase an external battery for $30 bucks, I've never had a problem with my iPAD running out of juice on PHX-CLT flights.
FlightNurse is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 9:10 am #1211

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightNurse View Post
Not all LAA planes have IFE...
My point is that AA needs a modern lineup, it's pathetic.
Old Yesterday, 3:56 pm #1212

Quote:
Not all LAA planes have IFE so cool your jets. Having it stream on your device is a better choice, would rather use my iPAD then a small screen anyhow. Also if you are worried about battery life, purchase an external battery for $30 bucks, I've never had a problem with my iPAD running out of juice on PHX-CLT flights.
The streaming system has perhaps 5% of the content the searback system has.
railmatt is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 9:48 pm #1213

Programs: AA, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Quote:
Originally Posted by railmatt View Post
I think that's probably an exaggeration, though I've never been inclined to actually check. But yes, the streaming content is substantially more limited than seatback.
kb9522 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Today, 1:59 am #1214

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, IHG AMB PLT,
Quote:
My point is that AA needs a modern lineup, it's pathetic.
They are working on it, the plan is all AA planes to get power at the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by railmatt View Post
Who cares about Streaming, download to your iPad what you want to watch. I just did a 13 hr J flight on a 788, and out of ALL the movies, there were 4 I watched. It was a good flight to catch up on shows I haven't been able to watch.
FlightNurse is offline Reply With Quote
Old Today, 2:43 am #1215

Quote:
They are working on it, the plan is all AA planes to get power at the seat.
I've read otherwise.

Others have brought up good points about an alternative to the lack of seat back entertainment. I think my iPad or Mac will be good enough to make up for the lack of modern technology on the plane.

As another positive note, the flight starts at 6:59 p.m and doesn't get done until 9:30 pm so it may allow people to lay back and relax without TV's blinding them in the dark.