Go Back > > >
Old Nov 6, 17, 2:45 am - Wikipost
Cpi-Web Forums Thread Wiki: HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

Aircraft-specific threads exist (see below) when you know what configuration and cabin you're in and have questions about it. When you're unsure of your flight's configuration or have questions about multiple flights, this new help desk thread will cater to that type of Help-Desk-style question.

Please help fill in the blanks by sharing what you learn.

Another most useful tool is the New American Fleet Tracker, here Though it began with the purpose of tracking LAA, LUS or New AA paint color schemes transition, more useful information is included (e.g. AVOD, seating configuration, etc.)

Quote:
This site was created and is maintained by enthusiasts of AMERICAN AIRLINES and provides only publicly available information. It is not sponsored or supported by AMERICAN AIRLINES or AMERICAN AIRLINES GROUP in anyway.
ThreeJulietTango states at this time "Mainline LUS flights are identifiable by flight numbers in the 400-899 and 1675-2174 ranges." This may not last.

A basic listing of long haul aircraft and Business seats is provided in post #3.

The 2017 Fleet Plan, released 27 Jan 2017, may be seen here.

Below is a list of current aircraft-specific threads which contain details about aircraft seats and configurations.

LAA (Legacy American Airlines) Aircraft

Airbus A319-100 – 319
A321-200 – 32B ("32B" are all A321-200 with "Sharklets" wingtip devices)
Boeing 737-800 – 738 and 737 MAX 8
Boeing 757-200 – 752 / 75L
Boeing 767-300 – 763 (14 retired 2016, going to 25 late 2017)
Boeing 777-223ER – 777 / 772 (47 total in fleet)
Boeing 777-300ER – 77W (18 total)
Boeing 787-8 – 788 (20 ordered)
Boeing 787-9 - 789 (22 ordered) (1 Q3, 3 Q4 2016)
McDonnell Douglas MD-80 – S80 (54 remaining Jun 2017)

LUS (Legacy US Airways)

Airbus A319-100 – 319
Airbus A320-200 – 320
Airbus A321-200 – 321 ("321" are A321-200 with no "Sharklets" wingtip devices)
Airbus A330-200 – 332 (15 in fleet)
Airbus A330-300 – 333 (The 9 P&W powered A330 are being returned to their lessor in 2018)
Airbus A350 (total 22 ordered) (coming 2017 2018)
Boeing 757-200 – 752
American Eagle / Regional:
Miscellaneous related threads:

Historical Notes:

America West Airlines organized in February 1981 and began operations August 1, 1983. The airline grew rapidly, included flights to Hawaii and Japan and operated aircraft as large as the Boeing 747-200 (4 leased in from KLM). It's first bankruptcy filing was in 1991, and after reorganization on 1994, hired W. Douglas Parker in June 1995 as Senior Vice President and CFO. IN 2001, he was elected Chairman, President and CEO in September 2001

US Airways' origin was in 1939 as All American Aviation, which changed its name in 1939 to All American Airways and again in 1949 to Allegheny Airlines. In 1979, with the passing of the Airline Deregulation Act and Allegheny Airlines became US Air. Allegheny took Lake Central Airlines in 1968 and Mohawk Airlines in 1972.

US further acquired Piedmont Airlines and Pacific Southwest Airlines in 1989, established the US Airways Shuttle after buying the remains of Trump Shuttle and was taken over by America West Airlines in a reverse takeover merger in 2005; the airline, under the direction of HP CEO Doug Parker and his team, rebranded as US Airways.

The new US Airways acquired American Airlines in a reverse takeover in 2013, rebranding as American Airlines. The Federal Aviation Administration granted a single operating certificate (SOC) for US Airways and American Airlines on April 8, 2015.

American Airlines began when when Robertson Aircraft Corporation and Colonial Air Transport merged in 1929 into holding company The Aviation Corporation. In 1930 this became an operating company branded American Airways. In 1934 it was renamed American Airlines. After filing bankruptcy in 2011, it was taken over by US Airways in 2013, which chose to continue with the American Airlines brand. The Parker leadership team continues to administer the new American Airlines.

American Airlines included AirCal, American Inter-Island Airlines, American Overseas Airways, Colonial Air Transport, Reno Air, Robertson Aircraft Corporation, Trans Caribbean Airways, Trans World Airlines.

US Airways included Allegheny Airlines, America West Airlines, Empire Airlines, Lake Central Airlines, MetroJet, Mohawk Airlines, Pacific Southwest Airlines (PSA), Piedmont Airlines, Trump Shuttle and USAir.

Link to Wikipedia page on America West Airlines.

Link to Wikipedia page on US Airways

Link to Wikipedia page on American Airlines

Updated 28 Sep 2017 - JDiver

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 26, 14, 11:43 am #1
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP Emeritus — Now UA 1K, Hilton, Marriott/SPG Gold, National Exec
Arrow HELP DESK: General questions about aircraft equipment, fleet, seats, IFE, etc.

With the merger complete, AA are now left with a mish-mash of equipment types and configurations. The AA forum has many threads discussing specific equipment types, but often members are unsure which configuration their flights will have, or have questions about multiple flights at once.

This new help desk thread will cater to that type of Help-Desk-style question. Please see the Wiki for threads on specific aircraft types.

~AAdvantage moderation team

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 31, 17 at 7:19 pm Reason: Add bolding
Microwave is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 14, 11:43 am #2

LUS A319 -v- LAA 757

Hey everyone,

I'm booking a trip in September to NY and I'm finding pretty good availability for US flights in the A319 in F. I've noticed that none of the flight numbers match up to what they will be in September. Does this mean that the planes will change by then? I'd really like to fly in the new A319 layout.

I also have the option to fly in AA 757. Which would you guys prefer?
jorge18 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 14, 12:43 pm #3
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA EXP / 5.5 MM; HH <>; SPG Gold; Maξtre-plongeur des Muccis
For those inquiring about long haul Business class seat comfort:

In order of my preference (and I've flown in most all, other than the legacy US 757 and A330, but I've flown in the Zodiac and Super Diamond elsewhere):

Fully horizontal flat seats with all aisle access:

1) The AA 777-300ER, coded "77W" by AA, has the best of AA or BA Business horizontally flat solo all aisle access seats - same Cirrus seats used by Cathay Pacific and others.

2) The 787-9 with the B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Solo seat.

3) A bit less than half of the AA 777-200ER have been converted to all aisle access solo Business seats; AA codes them as "772" in the schedules, and they are two class aircraft. These two class aircraft by preference:
A. Those with B/E Aerospace Super Diamond Solo seats

B. Those with the Zodiac "Concept D" seats.
4) The Boeing 787-8 with Zodiac "Concept D" seats.

5) The AA A330 aircraft are a bit older (but similar to) than the newer 772 Zodiac seats.

6) The AA 767-300ER used on transatlantic use the Thompson Vantage seat, which is OK but narrower than above and some of the seats have smaller foot nooks.

(A dwindling number of 763s still have the angled flat 2 x 2 x 2 "NGBC" seats.)

7) AA 757-200 with 2 x 2 "fully flat seats in pairs same as the "A321T" transcontinental Business seats.

Angled flat and other Business seats with impaired aisle access for window and center seats

8) The other AA 777-200ER are often sold as three class and coded "777", and have the older "NGBC" 2 x 3 x 2 angled flat Business seats. These are the least desirable of all. (Miles and copay or SWU can often be used to upgrade to First, an older but very spacious solo product with the largest bed of all, as well as mattress pad, duvet and pyjamas.) (only one left in July, converted tom772 August)

9) AA (legacy US Airways) 757-200 with 2 x 2 reclining flattish seats are the worst of this bag, usually found on lower density Europe flights out of PHL, possibly CLT. Avoid if any of the above others are available. Will be transitioning to PHX for Hawaii service by mid-2018.

The A350-900 deliveries have been postponed, but these will have the same B/E Aerospace Super Diamond business seats found in the 787-9 fleet.

NOTE: The Boeing 787 and Airbus A350 families of aircraft offer lower effective cabin altitude, higher ambient cabin air humidity and less engine noise.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 22, 17 at 12:41 am Reason: Add J seat comfort for information
JDiver is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 14, 12:44 pm #4
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS 75K, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge18 View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm booking a trip in September to NY and I'm finding pretty good availability for US flights in the A319 in F. I've noticed that none of the flight numbers match up to what they will be in September. Does this mean that the planes will change by then? I'd really like to fly in the new A319 layout.

Changing flight numbers are not correlated with changing plane type.
SFOPhD is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 14, 2:36 pm #5

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, UA Gold, Marriott LT PLT, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Harrahs PLT, Starbucks GLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorge18 View Post
Hey everyone,

What new A319 layout? I'm not aware of any changes yet to the US A319s.
aamilesslave is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 14, 5:05 pm #6

Programs: Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, Hyatt Explorist-in-exile, HHonors Gold, AA Plat, Nat'l Exec
Quote:
Originally Posted by aamilesslave View Post
What new A319 layout? I'm not aware of any changes yet to the US A319s.
Nothing announced as far as I know. I would assume the OP is referring to the AA 319 layout, which is new insofar as the planes are new to the pmAA fleet.
dtremit is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 14, 9:13 am #7

Programs: AA Exec Plat Admirals Club HHonors GLD
I have not been on the 319's and not looking forward to the AA 319's with 8 F seats.... I still don't understand that. But I try and avoid the 757's as well. I was in 2E and it was pretty cramped (but I am 6'4). They guy in 1E put his chair back and there was no room for me to eat breakfast. The flight attended politely asked him to put his seat up and he did.

Last edited by njhart; Jun 29, 14 at 3:46 am
njhart is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 14, 8:11 pm #8

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EXPLAT; SPG: PLAT; HY: DIA; HH: GLD; MR: GLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by njhart View Post
I have not been on the 319's and not looking forward to the AA 319's with 4 F seats.... I still don't understand that.
I know we all like to exagerate on FT but in fairness there are 8 seats in F.
LINDEGR is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 14, 3:46 am #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINDEGR View Post
I know we all like to exagerate on FT but in fairness there are 8 seats in F.
Yeah, i can't count.
Old Jun 29, 14, 10:49 am #10
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
In two years of flying AA on a lot of 757s (albeit from airports east of the Mississippi) only had the Eisenhower seats once, on a KOA-LAX flight. For me it was kinda retro and I enjoyed recalling what F used to be in the 70s and 80s, but my friends hated it and teased me. Admit it was in pretty poor shape with graffiti and other negatives. Assumed this plane was pretty much relegated to vacation routes and not any mainline mainland routes.
Shareholder is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 14, 10:54 am #11
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Quote:
I have not been on the 319's and not looking forward to the AA 319's with 8 F seats.... I still don't understand that. But I try and avoid the 757's as well. I was in 2E and it was pretty cramped (but I am 6'4). They guy in 1E put his chair back and there was no room for me to eat breakfast. The flight attended politely asked him to put his seat up and he did.
It's quite acceptable to request a seat in front be put into the upright position during meals, even if domestic F. As for the A319, I recognize it is not a favourite because of limitations it puts on upgrading, but it does appear AA is putting these planes on routes where revenue F sales are pretty low and most of the cabin is filled with upgrades, not so good for the bottom line. I've flown them a couple of times, and have four more coming up in July, all are transborder between Canadian cities and DFW where paid F loads -- actually considered J on these routes -- are low. At the moment, seat maps for all four flights show empty front cabins two week's out...I can even anticipate being the only person in the front cabin on one or two of these!
Shareholder is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 14, 12:45 pm #12

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EXPLAT; SPG: PLAT; HY: DIA; HH: GLD; MR: GLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
I can even anticipate being the only person in the front cabin on one or two of these!
For your sake, I hope you are right....
LINDEGR is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 14, 2:15 pm #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
It's quite acceptable to request a seat in front be put into the upright position during meals, even if domestic F. As for the A319, I recognize it is not a favourite because of limitations it puts on upgrading, but it does appear AA is putting these planes on routes where revenue F sales are pretty low and most of the cabin is filled with upgrades, not so good for the bottom line. I've flown them a couple of times, and have four more coming up in July, all are transborder between Canadian cities and DFW where paid F loads -- actually considered J on these routes -- are low. At the moment, seat maps for all four flights show empty front cabins two week's out...I can even anticipate being the only person in the front cabin on one or two of these!
I agree, but theres a reason i choose American Airlines and pay the extra cost in order to have status and get upgraded rather than choose more convenient and cheaper flights on Delta, SouthWorst etc... I choose to give my money to AA, they should keep their loyal (upgraded) customers happy as well. Rant over.
Old Jun 29, 14, 7:46 pm #14

Programs: AA PLT/5 MM, BA Silver, HH Diamond
Quote:
I choose to give my money to AA, they should keep their loyal (upgraded) customers happy as well. Rant over.
Sadly this line of thinking is dated; prepare yourself for an increasing velocity of ongoing disappointments.
pauleeepaul is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 14, 8:07 pm #15

all things being equal (routing/nonstop, timing relative to your schedule) The nAAtive 757 > the US 319.

For me the tie breaker is outlets, and a hair more legroom. For others IFE, Mid cabin boarding and other features if the 757 would play into the decision.
DataPlumber is offline Reply With Quote