Prepaying Amex Bill by Mail?

Old Oct 10, 02, 9:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Prepaying Amex Bill by Mail?

I'd like to pre-pay this month's Amex bill by mail, using two checks. Other than figuring out the address to send the payments to, is there anything else to be concerned about? Should I simply write the account number on each check?

------------------
Middle_Seat
Old Oct 11, 02, 5:36 am

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
I've done this prior to web-enabled payments. I'd add a sheet of paper with account number, name, address.
Old Oct 11, 02, 7:39 am

Does anyone still use cheques in the mail to pay their bills of any kind?? In this day and age of internet banking with next business day crediting to one's account and the ability to setup future payments of bills, this does seem very outdated.

Come to think of it, I don't even know where my chequebook is. Under a 3" thick layer of dust somewhere, no doubt!
Old Oct 11, 02, 10:07 am

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pdjcrawford:
Does anyone still use cheques in the mail to pay their bills of any kind?? In this day and age of internet banking with next business day crediting to one's account and the ability to setup future payments of bills, this does seem very outdated.

Come to think of it, I don't even know where my chequebook is. Under a 3" thick layer of dust somewhere, no doubt!
</font>
You don't live in the UK. You simply HAVE to have a cheque book here to pay some things ... though Amex is not one of them !

Old Oct 11, 02, 10:09 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Middle_Seat:
I'd like to pre-pay this month's Amex bill by mail, using two checks. Other than figuring out the address to send the payments to, is there anything else to be concerned about? Should I simply write the account number on each check?

</font>
I assume you have online access to the account? You can simply pay off any amount there
Old Oct 11, 02, 11:39 am

I used to do this before leaving for summer recess in college.

Paper statements come with a 'payment coupon'. The front of the stub says 'please enter account number on all checks and correspondence' and has:

- account #
- billing address
- Amex mailing address (depends on location)

East Coast:
American Express
P.O. Box 1270
Newark, NJ 07101-1270

West Coast:
American Express
P.O. Box 0001
Los Angeles, CA 90096-0001

I don't have the addresses for the other regions. However, I once sent a check to a location which was not my assigned one, and the payment went through just as promptly.

I have been paying online ever since the service was offered. Not one mishap.
Old Oct 11, 02, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

My spouse's payment-mailto address is different, perhaps for the central US:
American Express
Suite 0002 yep, that's right
Chicago IL 60679-0002

and I assume mine is the same.

In this particular case, I need to pay this month from two separate bank accounts (which must remain totally separate), and I want to pre-pay so I can buy some additional bonds. I noticed that the online payment system will not permit you to make a payment if you owe nothing, so it doesn't look usable in my current situation. I need to send those Amex folks some paper checks that they cannot refuse.

In the past I have used the Amex online payment system and it worked well.

------------------
Middle_Seat

[This message has been edited by Middle_Seat (edited 10-11-2002).]
Old Oct 11, 02, 1:01 pm
LLM
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Yes, you can do this. They have to post the mailed check which gives you a credit balance. We did it on the business Amex when we wanted to exceed our credit limit (for points, of course).
Old Oct 11, 02, 2:58 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Middle_Seat:
and I want to pre-pay so I can buy some additional bonds.</font>
If you are pre-paying your card in the hopes of increasing your monthly credit limit, I'm pretty sure that that doesn't work with Amex. Your credit limit is the most you can charge in the month.
Old Oct 11, 02, 5:08 pm

To me the best way to pay your Amex bill is thourgh their website.
Old Oct 11, 02, 5:09 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, DL Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyByMike:
If you are pre-paying your card in the hopes of increasing your monthly credit limit, I'm pretty sure that that doesn't work with Amex. Your credit limit is the most you can charge in the month.</font>
This isn't the case if you enter a statement cycle with a credit balance.
Old Oct 11, 02, 5:25 pm
LLM
Cpi-Web Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyByMike:
If you are pre-paying your card in the hopes of increasing your monthly credit limit, I'm pretty sure that that doesn't work with Amex. Your credit limit is the most you can charge in the month.</font>
I haven't tried doing this with Amex Optima (in which case it probably wouldn't work) but it definitely works with our small business card.

Old Oct 12, 02, 12:44 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

I do not always have access to the web, but almost always have access to a telephone. I pay my AMEX's by calling the 800 number on the back of the AMEX card, go through the drill and pay a day or two before the due date. If I am outta the USA, I have a friend call. Works every time.

MisterNice
Old Oct 13, 02, 7:46 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">If I am outta the USA, I have a friend call. Works every time.

MisterNice
</font>
Slightly off topic, but just wanted to let you know most cities outside of the US have a (local) tollfree number that gets you directly to the US customer service. And, if there isn't one, they always take collect calls. Once you get the rep, they can transfer you to the pay-by-phone system.

[This message has been edited by MedEdGuy (edited 10-13-2002).]
Old Oct 13, 02, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by phoenixitc:
I've done this prior to web-enabled payments. I'd add a sheet of paper with account number, name, address.</font>
Yesterday I sent in my two checks, with the note suggested by phoenixitc, to the weird Amex "Suite" address in Chicago.

I'll have to watch the website and see it the account is credited.

Search this Thread