Go Back > > >
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 22, 15, 5:06 pm #1
Original Poster

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Fairmont President Club Platinum
Posts: 8,671
AMEX Platinum card and Plaza Premium lounges

I have the Canadian AMEX Platinum card, which gives the cardholder access to the Canadian airport Plaza Premium lounges.

But my question is more generic than that. Do every country's AMEX Platinum card give one access to all Plaza Premium lounge around the world?
FlyerGoldII is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 15, 6:35 pm #2

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: UK
Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Plat, UK AMEX Plat
Posts: 1,605
Most Plaza Premium lounges I've used as a UK Amex Plat holder want to swipe my Priority Pass card. Only a very small number have been happy with just the Plat card itself.
Gagravarr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 15, 11:11 am #3

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 215
I have had no problems with just my USA AMEX card.
wesheltonj is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 15, 12:14 pm #4

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 13
When I'm in the US (I have a Canadian Amex Card) they want to see my black Priority Pass Card
tfoxx is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 15, 12:32 pm #5
mia
Cpi-Web Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; VS, HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 32,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoxx View Post
When I'm in the US (I have a Canadian Amex Card) they want to see my black Priority Pass Card
I'm confused. There are no Plaza Premium lounges in the USA:

https://plaza-network.com/locations
mia is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 15, 1:36 pm #6

Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,778
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoxx View Post
When I'm in the US (I have a Canadian Amex Card) they want to see my black Priority Pass Card
Why do you expect "them" not to? The only lounges that you may access without the PP card in the U.S. is the Amex lounges or the DL lounges when flying DL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia View Post
I'm confused. There are no Plaza Premium lounges in the USA:

https://plaza-network.com/locations
You're correct. There is none. There are 4 PPL in Canada.

PPL is one of the contract lounges with Priority Pass. I am aware that some Plaza Premium Lounges allow Canadian American Express The Platinum cardholders to enter with the Canadian Amex card, without having to show the Priority Pass card.

Last edited by Clipper801; Mar 24, 15 at 8:32 am
Clipper801 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 15, 5:16 pm #7

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: YYZ
Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Posts: 2,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII View Post
But my question is more generic than that. Do every country's AMEX Platinum card give one access to all Plaza Premium lounge around the world?
No they do not. For instance PPL in KUL or HKG (Arrival) specifically asked if the card is Canadian, before swiping to confirm.
beep88 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 15, 7:57 pm #8
Original Poster

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Fairmont President Club Platinum
Posts: 8,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by beep88 View Post
No they do not. For instance PPL in KUL or HKG (Arrival) specifically asked if the card is Canadian, before swiping to confirm.
To put it another way, can my Canadian AMEX Platinum card get me access to any Priority Pass lounges outside of Canada. Your response suggests the answer is in the affirmative.

I am not asking if the associated Priority Pass card which comes with the Canadian AMEX Platinum card will get me into the same Priority Pass lounge.
FlyerGoldII is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 15, 8:00 pm #9
mia
Cpi-Web Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; VS, HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 32,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII View Post
...can my Canadian AMEX Platinum card get me access to any Priority Pass lounges outside of Canada.
1. Are you asking only about Plaza lounges or about all Priority Pass contract lounges?

2. Why is it important to be able to enter with the Platinum Card itself rather than with the Priority Pass card?
mia is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 15, 3:27 am #10
Cpi-Web Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: London
Programs: BA, EK, IHG, SPG
Posts: 24,670
UK requires Priority Pass. However .... there is a long list on non-UK credit cards listed on the wall next to the Heathrow T2 lounge so it is possible that Amex Canada is on there.
Raffles is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 15, 5:59 am #11
Original Poster

Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, Fairmont President Club Platinum
Posts: 8,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia View Post
1. Are you asking only about Plaza lounges or about all Priority Pass contract lounges?

2. Why is it important to be able to enter with the Platinum Card itself rather than with the Priority Pass card?
I am asking about Plaza Premium lounges. I already know the answer that the AMEX Platinum card will not get one into a Priority Pass lounge - one needs a Priority Pass card for that (which Canadian AMEX Platinum cardholders get, as one of the AMEX card amenities). Of course, the Canadian Plaza Premium lounges are also priority pass lounges - so one can use either card in those lounges.

There are at least 2 reasons why I would prefer to go into a Plaza Premium lounge with an AMEX card (if allowed), over a Priority Pass card.

Depending upon the type of Priority type card, for the cardholder may or may not have to pay the entrance fee (US$27) for himself/herself, and also for the companions. My AMEX Platinum card associated Priority Pass card allows me and one companion free access, but I need to pay for all subsequent companions $27. The AMEX Platinum card allows a family of 4 to go in free - 2 parents/2 children 18 years of age or under (I can not remember if another companion in addition to the 4 people can also come in free, or whether the free companion rule is limited to the cardholder if he/she does not bring in family).

In the Canadian Plaza Premium lounges, the agent just looks at the AMEX card and boarding passes, records the number - and one can go in (the customer does not sign any receipt). For the Priority Pass card, the process is slightly more complex - the agent swipes the card (and looks at the boarding passes), and the customer has to sign a receipt. So it might take an extra minute or two for the process with the Priority Pass card - you might think what is a few extra moments for the customer waiting at the desk waiting for the card to be process - but even those few extra mements are precious and which can be better used enjoying the lounge.
FlyerGoldII is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 15, 10:40 pm #12
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Posts: 37,735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper801 View Post
You're correct. There is none. There are 4 PPL in Canada.
There are more than four Plaza Premium lounges in Canada:

YYZ has four, three in T1 and one in T3
YVR, YWG and YEG have one each

All are accessible with either the standard Canadian Amex Plat/Centurion cards or Priority Pass. At HKG, the airside and landside lounges are also Priority Pass, but also give entry with the Canadian Amex Plat/Centurion cards.
Shareholder is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 15, 12:21 am #13

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: DFW
Programs: DL GM, AA Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 23
The only thing I know is that they accept my US AMEX Plat card at the YVR Plaza Premium Lounge. There's typically a sign up front that shows which AMEX cards they accept, but no mention of country of origin.
WWang is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 15, 7:30 am #14

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Posts: 828
AMEX Platinum card and Plaza Premium lounges

Agreed PPL may ask if Amex Plat is Canadian but even if it is not the US Plat version grants free entry even after swipe. Ive never had Amex come back at me for lounge fees after the fact.
mrkymark is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 15, 12:25 pm #15

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: EWR-PHL
Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, Amex Plat, National Exec, Global Entry/Nexus
Posts: 303
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII View Post
Depending upon the type of Priority type card, for the cardholder may or may not have to pay the entrance fee (US$27) for himself/herself, and also for the companions. My AMEX Platinum card associated Priority Pass card allows me and one companion free access, but I need to pay for all subsequent companions $27. The AMEX Platinum card allows a family of 4 to go in free - 2 parents/2 children 18 years of age or under (I can not remember if another companion in addition to the 4 people can also come in free, or whether the free companion rule is limited to the cardholder if he/she does not bring in family).
I believe this is not correct, the AMEX Plat associated PP card only allows the cardholder access for free with any other guest being charged $27. I don't believe there is a family rule either, they would all be guests.
miasmal is offline Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
- FlyerTalk - Archive - Top