Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only

Old Jan 2, 18, 11:58 pm - Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
This thread is a continuation of: Airline fee $200/$100 reimbursement reports: DL only [2011 - 2015]

• Caution: two reports on 12.16.2017 indicate that Delta outsourced some gift card processing.
  • Further reports suggest that only giftcards purchased through the mobile site are processed by CashStar.
  • If the merchant is not Delta Airlines the purchase will not be reimbursed. Do not use the mobile site to purchase.

Read this primer first

• In the Amex Membership Rewards family, both the Consumer and Business versions of the Platinum and Centurion cards qualify for a $200 airline credit. The Premier Rewards Gold (PRG) card is eligible for a $100 airline credit.
  • You must click here to select Delta as your enrolled airline before you make a reimbursable purchase, else the benefit won't apply. The feature is activated immediately upon airline designation.
  • If you've selected DL in the past and don't wish to change airlines, there's no need to select again; current selection rolls into future years until modified.
  • Reimbursed incidental charges have included baggage and other service fees, award and change fees (e.g., standby, SDC), taxes, in-flight purchases (not WiFi), lounge access fees, EC upgrade (seat assignment) fees, priority boarding fees, Delta mileage booster fees, and DL eGift Cards/eCerts (see section below). Charges not posted by Delta (e.g., partners) are not eligible. Note that the Global Entry fee reimbursement is a separate benefit in addition to the $200 Delta incidentals reimbursement.The T&Cs state the eligible charges, but YMMV, so don't call and ask.
  • The credit is per account, not per card. If the main account has authorized users with additional cards, eligible charges may still be made on those cards, but they'll count jointly towards the same account limit.
  • Credits are capped per calendar year, meaning you could tap the full amount on Dec 31st and again on Jan 1st in the extreme. Transaction date, not posting date, determines the year. Note: This is not my experience. I purchased Dec 31, 2016, posted Jan 1, 2017 and went against my 2017 credit. (TheMadBrewer)
  • You will get a partial credit to bring your total annual reimbursements to the limit exactly if a qualifying charge takes you past the limit.
  • Credit posting delays range from several business days (typical) to several weeks (seen in Oct 2015). The T&Cs state that it could take up to four weeks, so wait at least that long before worrying, and certainly don't contact Amex prematurely. After four weeks, if you've read this Wiki carefully and posted here seeking assistance but the credit still has not arrived, consider chatting with Amex online. Politely mention the "Delta extras" you thought would be reimbursed within four weeks and they'll handle it.

eGift Card (eCert) details

• Delta eGift Cards (eCerts) have been reimbursed in practice, even though technically they do not meet the criteria listed by Amex for reimbursement. The name on the eCerts doesn't matter and need not match your card, but you must purchase using an eligible Amex card and meet the other criteria detailed in this Wiki.
  • Denominations over $50 will not generate the credit. Multiple $50 eCerts will. The smallest denomination available is $50.
  • To order, use this direct link to the eGift cert order page, or navigate via Delta.com>Shop>eGift Certificate.
  • No need to place separate orders using multiple carts/checkouts. By adding multiple certs to one order (e.g., 4 x $50), even though they are in the same cart, the certs will post as separate transactions and still generate a credit for each.
  • eCert purchases may initially authorize (show pending) as ticket purchases before posting to (finalize on) your statement. Multiple-eCert orders may authorize the combined value as a single pending ticket purchase. Don't worry; they'll post later as separate eCert charges in the qualifying amounts.
  • eCerts are generated instantly, but the codes are not valid for use until 72 hours after purchase, so don't order expecting to use them in a pinch.
  • A maximum of three eCerts may be redeemed per online transaction. Splitting a round-trip into two one-ways will allow you to use additional eCerts, but in some cases two one-ways may cost more than a single roundtrip so compare carefully to decide whether using more than 3 certs on a single trip is worthwhile.
  • If purchasing a ticket for more than 1 person, splitting the purchase into a separate transaction for each person would also allow the use of more than 3 certs on a single trip at (usually) no additional cost. However this could have an adverse effect on ability to upgrade, upgrade priority, and other elite benefits, and on the likelihood of being reaccommodated on the same flight in the event of a flight cancellation.
  • eCerts do not expire. Their T&Cs are listed here.

Print Wikipost

Old Feb 22, 16, 5:30 pm

I just purchased base fare on my amex then prior to check out I upgraded to Delta Comfort+ for $49.00 each flight. Will I get a $98.00 credit on my statement if I paid the full fare plus upgrades on Amex?

ie base fare $300
Comfort Plus $49.00
Comfort Plus $49.00

Will I get $98 credit for the 2 comfort pluses?

Or does it not work for these upgrades?
Old Feb 23, 16, 9:01 am

Does anyone know if this works if the $50 e-cert charges are on a statement that closed before the credits? Will I still be able to get the credits?
Old Feb 28, 16, 11:13 pm

queston: has anybody who has bought the $100 e-gift card (instead of 2 $50 cards) had any luck getting reimbursed?

i mistakenly bought the $100 e-gift card before reading the other instructions carefully. i'm thinking of calling CR, but i'm not sure what i could possibly say to ask for the credit.

thanks in advance.
Old Feb 29, 16, 7:53 am

Programs: DL(PM), AA (Plat), Marriott(Gold), SPG(Gold), HH(Gold)
Originally Posted by Irishmao View Post
Does anyone know if this works if the $50 e-cert charges are on a statement that closed before the credits? Will I still be able to get the credits?
Yes, it has worked for me.

To make sure I'm understanding you correctly: I purchased a $50 egift card, the charge posted a couple of days later. The following day, the statement posted. Two days after that, the credit posted.
Old Mar 14, 16, 11:15 pm

Bought $50 X 4 eCerts on 3/6/16, $50 credit X 4 posted on 3/12/16. Thanks
Old Mar 16, 16, 8:29 am

Programs: HH G, SPG G, DL PM
Bought $50 x4 eCerts on 3/11/2016, was credited x4 on 3/15/2016.
Old Mar 20, 16, 5:06 pm

Programs: DM DL ✈️
1) When you guys say "purchased 4x $50" you mean you went thru the purchase 4 times, or just selected "4" in the quantity dropdown?
2) AmEx doesn't know the charge category, as it shows up as miscellaneous (for airline tickets) so it might be worth mentioning it was a "ticket change fee" if you have more than one ticket transaction
Old Mar 20, 16, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA:Lifetime Plat DL:Lifetime Silver UA:1P MAR:Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by tomasdev View Post
1) When you guys say "purchased 4x $50" you mean you went thru the purchase 4 times, or just selected "4" in the quantity dropdown?
Covered in the Wiki (fourth bullet point, second section).
Old Mar 30, 16, 7:56 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, AA Plat, HH Dia, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, National ECE, Avis First, Hertz PC
$75.50 to upgrade from coach to first, reimbursed two days after purchase.
Old Apr 3, 16, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, UR, IHG platnium, AirAsia
Seems as if Delta $50 GC's are working for reimbursement on the PRG which I just applied and got approved for. Plan is to choose Delta as airline and buy 2 x $50 GC's. My question is can Delta GC's be used for anything at all other than the fare portion of a paid flight such as on board food, upgrades from Coach to First, etc? Can gift certificates also be transferred or booked in someone else's name? I'm thinking of giving it to my Mother as an incentive to help pay for her flight if I can get her to travel with me to Hawaii next year. Thanks.
Old Apr 3, 16, 6:54 pm

Just a short success and slight glitch report. Purchased two $50 Delta e-gift cards March 25 with Amex Platinum, received two $50 credits to the card on March 28. Had a temporary problem with the two cards each generating an automated $4.95 flight insurance premium (I have that subscription via Amex) as if each gift card was an actual ticket purchase. The customer service people fixed it and credited the premiums.

With that good result I have now bought two more $50 Delta e-gift cards.
Old Apr 3, 16, 7:28 pm

PRG Reimbursement

Purchased 2 x $50 with PRG on 3/29. Credited 4/1 on account. Worked great!
Old Apr 3, 16, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by JamieDee78 View Post
Seems as if Delta $50 GC's are working for reimbursement on the PRG which I just applied and got approved for. Plan is to choose Delta as airline and buy 2 x $50 GC's. My question is can Delta GC's be used for anything at all other than the fare portion of a paid flight such as on board food, upgrades from Coach to First, etc? Can gift certificates also be transferred or booked in someone else's name? I'm thinking of giving it to my Mother as an incentive to help pay for her flight if I can get her to travel with me to Hawaii next year. Thanks.
Uhm, you can apply the PRG credit against most those charges directly, no need of the GC middle-step. That's only useful for fare.
Old Apr 3, 16, 9:59 pm

Purchased 2x $50 at the same time, purchased another $50 GC in a separated time (after reading the wiki too late)
Auth on the card for $100 and $50
Got 3 GCs, got $50 reimbursed twice (for the first $100)

So basically, there doesn't seem to be a need to buy the cards separately as the wiki states.
Old Apr 4, 16, 12:50 am
GK8

Programs: Most of 'em
Purchased 4x$50 on 3.28, reimbursed on 4/1.

Search this Thread