Go Back Cpi-Web Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > American Express | Membership Rewards
Reload this Page > Is there a way to get personal or small business Chip+PIN card from Amex USA?

Is there a way to get personal or small business Chip+PIN card from Amex USA?

Old Jan 20, 17, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Plat, Avis First, Sixt Plat
Is there a way to get personal or small business Chip+PIN card from Amex USA?

Hey guys,

I use my Plat AMEX in my international travels and I've been getting more and more places that don't accept Chip + Signature because that's how most fraudulent transactions are going through. Is there a way of getting a Platinum AMEX with Chip + PIN in the US? Does the corporate one offer Chip + PIN?

Thanks!
Old Jan 20, 17, 10:02 pm

Programs: GE, Marriott Silver
Out of curiosity, where and how has your card been getting rejected? My understanding is that they might have issues in unattended locations but most stores should be able to accept it without any issues.

Also, the Corporate card currently has PIN capability but not any of the others right now: https://americanexpress.com/us/c.../faqs-pin.html
Old Jan 20, 17, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
Out of curiosity, where and how has your card been getting rejected? My understanding is that they might have issues in unattended locations but most stores should be able to accept it without any issues.
Not the OP, but twice. Once in Vienna trying to buy train or subway tickets. No big deal, I had cash. Second time at an unattended gas station near AMS when trying to fill up the rental car on a Sunday morning before returning it. I had to quickly find another gas station to make my flight.

Since that gas station experience I now have a European card with Chip + PIN for the "just in case" scenario.
Old Jan 21, 17, 9:43 am
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Originally Posted by GiantVulture View Post
Hey guys,

I use my Plat AMEX in my international travels and I've been getting more and more places that don't accept Chip + Signature because that's how most fraudulent transactions are going through. Is there a way of getting a Platinum AMEX with Chip + PIN in the US? Does the corporate one offer Chip + PIN?

Thanks!
In your profile it says you're AA Plat. Do you realize that the AA Aviator cards from Barclay have chip and PIN (both "online" and "offline" PIN)?
http://cpi-web.ru/forum/credi...iator-40k.html
Yes, there are a few places in Europe which require not just PIN but "offline" PIN! So even just having PIN, if it's only "online" PIN, is not the best solution. (But, OTOH, there are some places in certain countries in Europe that plain don't accept overseas cards, no matter what the technology.)
Old Jan 21, 17, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
Not the OP, but twice. Once in Vienna trying to buy train or subway tickets. No big deal, I had cash. Second time at an unattended gas station near AMS when trying to fill up the rental car on a Sunday morning before returning it. I had to quickly find another gas station to make my flight.

Since that gas station experience I now have a European card with Chip + PIN for the "just in case" scenario.
Yeah, the ticket machines etc. have been a known issue for a while. OP made it seem like regular stores were starting to say "no" to American cards though, which would be extremely concerning if true. Hopefully that's not the case.
Old Mar 16, 17, 1:28 pm

Will the new Platinum ditch Chip + Signature?

Not sure if this is just a fluke, but I'm getting more and more places that won't accept chip + signature cards. It seems like almost all the fraud uses that mode and now it's not only unattended machines that won't accept it. I had everything from clothing stores in South America to restaurants in Europe.

So does anyone know if Amex will finally get the memo and embrace Chip + PIN? The metal card seems to indicate contactless is just not their thing, so I was hoping they might want to embrace a piece of tech that started in the 80s.

*sigh*

Does anyone here know?

Thanks!
Old Mar 16, 17, 2:05 pm

Yeah, the ticket machines etc. have been a known issue for a while. OP made it seem like regular stores were starting to say "no" to American cards though, which would be extremely concerning if true. Hopefully that's not the case.
I had one fashion store in Brazil (Osklen in Rio), one chocolate store in Buenos Aires (Alfajores Havanna), and a few bars and restaurants in South America. In Europe this happened ONLY in restaurants, and they were all in France, Spain, and Greece.

What happens each time is consistent, though: they see it's an Amex (which they seem to already not like much), turn the card and see it's from the US. In some places I got them to accept it by showing ID. In others my driver's license just wasn't enough and they flat out refused, every time citing fraud concerns.
Old Mar 16, 17, 7:13 pm

I had one fashion store in Brazil (Osklen in Rio), one chocolate store in Buenos Aires (Alfajores Havanna), and a few bars and restaurants in South America. In Europe this happened ONLY in restaurants, and they were all in France, Spain, and Greece.

What happens each time is consistent, though: they see it's an Amex (which they seem to already not like much), turn the card and see it's from the US. In some places I got them to accept it by showing ID. In others my driver's license just wasn't enough and they flat out refused, every time citing fraud concerns.
How much of that is the store using "fraud" as an excuse to not accept AmEx/international cards vs. actually being a fraud concern for them? Even with the EU interchange caps, for instance, they still pay far more to run foreign cards than domestic ones.

So does anyone know if Amex will finally get the memo and embrace Chip + PIN? The metal card seems to indicate contactless is just not their thing, so I was hoping they might want to embrace a piece of tech that started in the 80s.
Contactless really isn't any major bank's thing, honestly. And considering how much of a poor security reputation they have among the general public (plus the lack of terminals accepting it), it might be for the best.

As for your question, they already do--if you can get a hold of a Corporate card or a Redbird. The latter should be easy enough to get, even if you have to buy one online due to not living in a state where Target offers them; they have no FTF either, IIRC. The downside is that the only real "rewards" per se is the 5% off at Target.

However, I do have to warn you that domestic use of a chip and PIN card might be kind of a pain in some cases. For better or worse, the standard is chip and signature and a lot of smaller places are set up for that (wireless terminals at restaurants are rare in the US even at ones that accept chip, for example). At least it's fairly easy to use a different card if necessary vs. cash possibly being the only other option for foreign visitors.
Old Mar 16, 17, 8:50 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
In your profile it says you're AA Plat. Do you realize that the AA Aviator cards from Barclay have chip and PIN (both "online" and "offline" PIN)?
http://cpi-web.ru/forum/credi...iator-40k.html
Yes, there are a few places in Europe which require not just PIN but "offline" PIN! So even just having PIN, if it's only "online" PIN, is not the best solution. (But, OTOH, there are some places in certain countries in Europe that plain don't accept overseas cards, no matter what the technology.)
is the barclay aviator really pin-preferred? The biggest issue is that the even US cards that do PIN still default to signature...
Old Mar 16, 17, 8:53 pm

How do they handle debit cards? Are those using a pin? I've never used a debit card outside of an atm
Old Mar 16, 17, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10 View Post
is the barclay aviator really pin-preferred? The biggest issue is that the even US cards that do PIN still default to signature...
Unless something changed recently, it isn't.

Originally Posted by crimsona View Post
How do they handle debit cards? Are those using a pin? I've never used a debit card outside of an atm
Depends on where you use it. At most major stores in the US, you'll likely be asked--but you can almost always skip entering it. (There's a long explanation as to why but that's another discussion.) Smaller stores are far less likely to ask.

Internationally, they're more like the Aviator in that you'll be signing the vast majority of the time but you may be able to enter the PIN if an unattended terminal asks. There are some banks/credit unions that are exceptions to this rule, of course.
Old Mar 17, 17, 5:53 am

How much of that is the store using "fraud" as an excuse to not accept AmEx/international cards vs. actually being a fraud concern for them? Even with the EU interchange caps, for instance, they still pay far more to run foreign cards than domestic ones.
Oh, it's definitely an excuse. Especially because none of the places I had that problem with were selling anything expensive enough to make fraud at any reasonable rate a true threat to their business model. It's just annoying on the customer side.
Old Mar 17, 17, 6:55 am
mia
Cpi-Web Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; VS, HH & SPG Gold
How much of that is the store using "fraud" as an excuse to not accept AmEx/international cards
Oh, it's definitely an excuse. ...
Then would having a USA-issued Chip & PIN card solve the problem, or would they invent another excuse not to accept foreign cards?
Old Mar 17, 17, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by mia View Post
Then would having a USA-issued Chip & PIN card solve the problem, or would they invent another excuse not to accept foreign cards?
I'm not sure what the fee structure for foreign cards is, but it is possible that some merchants pay more for signature than for PIN. A US issued chip and PIN card may lower their swipe fee enough to reduce a lot of the hesitation from some of the stores.
Old Mar 17, 17, 11:01 am

If any of my CCs came out with chip + pin, it would get the majority of spend, simply for the convenience factor abroad. Nothing screams "HEY HERE'S AN AMERICAN" like using a chip and sig card abroad. I haven't experienced many places that won't accept chip+sig, but it has happened. Once at a bar in England (I'm pretty sure its just because the bar tenders didn't want to be inconvenienced by printing a receipt and finding a pen while pouring drinks, as it was a busy place), and another time at a paid parking lot (automated machine) in Seville, Spain. Either way, its a pita and embarrassing when the cashier or waiter has to find a pen so I can pay the bill.

Search this Thread