Go Back Cpi-Web Forums > Miles&Points > Other Loyalty Programs/Partners > Amtrak | Guest Rewards
Reload this Page > Amtrak Options from Portsmouth(NH) to Boston

Amtrak Options from Portsmouth(NH) to Boston

Old Jun 14, 11, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Amtrak Options from Portsmouth(NH) to Boston

We are planning a trip to Portsmouth NH (Wentworth by the Sea) and Boston (Custom House). Our current plan is to fly to MHT, rent a car, spend 5 days in NH, and then take the train to Boston. I noticed that there is only bus service offered from the Portsmouth Amtrak station. The closest train service options appear to be from Durham, Dover, or Exeter. However, I couldn't find any place to drop off our rental car near these stations.

Would the bus from Portsmouth be our best option? I would definitely prefer the train over a bus, and do not want to take the rental car into Boston. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Jun 14, 11, 11:09 am

I had to plan something similar for my recent Atlanta Trip, so I will share my methods

My method:

Go to maps.google.com
Type in the city you're looking at
Search for 'Amtrak' to find the station
Use that location to 'search nearby' for Rental Car

-=-=-

As I suspected, Enterprise turned up a fair bit, and that's good since it is in their policy to pick you up or drop you off. I'm positive that the rental car agencies closest to the train stations are used to drop off/pick up from the Amtrak station so it shouldn't be an out of the ordinary request.

-=-=-

When you do this, be acutely aware of the pickup/drop-off times of the Rental Car agency as compared to your train departure times, as it can often take a bit to get shuttled to your final destination.

From DOVER to BOSTON, MA (North) you're looking at the Down Easter with times of:
680 Downeaster Departs: 6:42 AM Arrives: 8:15 AM
682 Downeaster Departs: 8:57 AM Arrives: 10:30 AM
684 Downeaster Departs: 1:47 PM Arrives: 3:20 PM
686 Downeaster Departs: 3:32 PM Arrives: 5:05 PM
688 Downeaster Departs: 8:52 PM Arrives: 10:25 PM

Enterprise probably opens 9/10ish and closes around 5, so you'd have to be limited to the 684 or 686. Also be aware that most non-airport locations have reduced hours on Saturdays and are closed on Sundays.

-=-=-

Enterprise Contact information:

Dover:
Enterprise Rent-a-Car
5 Dover Point Rd, Dover, NH 03820
(603) 740-9385 ‎
~ 1.6 miles from the station - they'll drop you off.
(and that close, you could drop your luggage at the station, drop off the car whenever and stroll back for 20 minutes or so)

Durham:
Closest Enterprise is... the station above.

Exeter:
Enterprise Rent-a-Car
155 Portsmouth Ave, Exeter, NH 03860
(603) 772-4448 ‎

{But why cut short the train trip?}

I hope it helps.

Last edited by byronczimmer; Jun 14, 11 at 11:39 am
Old Jun 14, 11, 11:15 am

Also, concerning the bus service. Amtrak indicates that the bus service MUST be combined with train service due to local regulations, so taking the bus from the Portsmouth station isn't actually an option unless you are scheduling through service beyond Boston.
Old Jun 14, 11, 12:44 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Does Enterprise now offer one-way rentals? They rarely did in the past.

Given that the distance from Portsmouth to Boston is relatively short, I would just go by bus. The trip to Logan Airport can take as little as 75 minutes, while the trip to South Station takes 100 minutes. C & J offers frequent service. I did not check to see whether any other bus companies serve the route.
Old Jun 14, 11, 12:47 pm

https://enterprise.custhelp.com/app/...bmQ3dXZ2d2s%3D

One Way within a Metropolitan Area:

Generally, one way rentals are possible within the same metropolitan area. To ensure accurate bookings, these rentals are not available online. Please contact our reservation center at 1-800-736-8222.

-=-=-=-

Yes, but it takes a phone call.
Old Jun 14, 11, 1:10 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by byronczimmer
https://enterprise.custhelp.com/app/...bmQ3dXZ2d2s%3D

One Way within a Metropolitan Area:

Generally, one way rentals are possible within the same metropolitan area. To ensure accurate bookings, these rentals are not available online. Please contact our reservation center at 1-800-736-8222.

-=-=-=-

Yes, but it takes a phone call.
I suppose it depends on whether Exeter and/or Dover are part of the Manchester "metropolitan area."
Old Jun 14, 11, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Forgive me, but given the short distances involved, why not drop the car in Boston? I hear the train is scenic, but it looks like the trend is towards the leg being on a bus, and thus on the road, anyway.

It's a bit circuitous, but there is bus service from MHT to Boston, so you could also return the car there. Probably not worth the hassle though.
Old Jun 14, 11, 2:25 pm

OP stated that they do not want to drive in Boston.

I've driven in Boston.

I understand that desire.
Old Jun 14, 11, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by byronczimmer View Post
OP stated that they do not want to drive in Boston.

I've driven in Boston.

I understand that desire.
I drive in Boston frequently, and empathize. Still, the airport is an all highway easy shot from NH, and this may shape up to a significant pain to avoid dropping the car at Logan (or some street location).
Old Jun 14, 11, 7:50 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Are you willing to fly into Portland, Maine (PWM)? The drive to Portsmouth is a tad longer but the airport and rail stations are quite close together there. Plus you have the opportunity to ride the entire Downeaster route.
Old Jun 14, 11, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

MHT appears to be a convenient airport for Wentworth by the Sea, and has good air fare from MCI. We plan to take the train from Boston back to Kansas City on our return. I know that Hertz doesn't charge extra to drop the car at a location near the Portsmouth Amtrak (bus) station.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding Enterprise and Dover. I will check the rates. It appears that the bus drops off at South Boston station, and the Downeaster uses the North station. According to the Marriott Custom House website, both stations are about 1 mile away. If anyone knows that area, is there any advantage to using one station over the other?

I will consider driving to Boston, but would prefer to not have to deal with a car in the area and parking at the hotel is $40/day. We also need to get award points to keep my wife's account active because we are using points for our return trip (thanks to CO mile transfer). I appreciate everyone's suggestions and welcome your input.

Although we enjoy travel by train, the rental cars can be a problem. Flagstaff is one of the few LD train stations that has onsite car rentals (Hertz).
Old Jun 15, 11, 7:41 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, SPG
Ultimately there's little to no difference between the two stations except that going from North Station to its green/orange line subway stop is more of a pain IMO than going from South Station to its red/silver line stop. But if you're taking a taxi either way it really doesn't matter.
Old Jun 15, 11, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by Armani View Post
I will consider driving to Boston, but would prefer to not have to deal with a car in the area and parking at the hotel is $40/day. We also need to get award points to keep my wife's account active because we are using points for our return trip (thanks to CO mile transfer). I appreciate everyone's suggestions and welcome your input.

Although we enjoy travel by train, the rental cars can be a problem. Flagstaff is one of the few LD train stations that has onsite car rentals (Hertz).
If you do decide to drive to Boston, I'd drop the car immediately at Logan airport. with or without a stop at the hotel. The hotel is close to the Aquarium T stop, which is a few stops from the airport on the blue line, and might be close to the boat taxi service, but I've never used that. The only downside is you miss the Downeaster route, which I hear is nice.
Old Jun 15, 11, 10:47 pm

Programs: Amtrak S+, HH GLD, AA 1MM, SPG, UA, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by ludocdoc View Post
If you do decide to drive to Boston, I'd drop the car immediately at Logan airport. with or without a stop at the hotel. The hotel is close to the Aquarium T stop, which is a few stops from the airport on the blue line, and might be close to the boat taxi service, but I've never used that. The only downside is you miss the Downeaster route, which I hear is nice.
It's a nice ride the Downeaster, but nothing spectacular like some of the long-distance runs.

Amending my earlier idea, one can pick up a car at MHT and drop at PWM, then catch the Downeaster from there. Portland is a neat little town that's worth a visit if time permits, and Old Orchard Beach in the summer could be a quick stop on the drive north.
Old Jun 17, 11, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

I did some additional checking and learned the following:
-I can't rent Enterprise at MHT and drop off in Dover.
-Picking up a rental car at MHT and dropping in Boston results in significantly higher rates.
-Best rental car option so far is Hertz pickup at MHT and dropping in Portsmouth. I can then either take the bus from the Portsmouth Amtrak station to Boston, or take a taxi to Dover to ride the Downeaster

I was able to use 20000 (transferred CO miles thank to Flyertalk) Amtrak points to book a roomette from BOS to Kansas City for our return trip.

I also plan to check with the concierge at the hotel to see if they have additional suggestions, and I will continue to check other car rental options. Suggestions are all greatly appreciated.

Search this Thread