NY Penn Station baggage storage

Old Feb 13, 08, 10:48 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
NY Penn Station baggage storage

Is there a place at Penn Station in NYC where baggage can be stored securely for a few hours- such as a locker or the like? Taking an Amtrak train without checked baggage or a New Jersey Transit train to NYP and then would like to drop off some bags for a bit rather than lugging them around town, and unfortunately not going in FC so no Club Acela access available.

Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 08, 10:58 am
Moderator, Amtrak

Programs: HH Diamond, Amtrak Exec
No lockers, as they are considered too vulnerable to usage by terrorists.

The only option is to day check your bag at the Amtrak baggage counter. Be prepared to show ID and your ticket. I think, but I'm not positive, that even an NJT ticket will work. Obviously an Amtrak ticket or ticket stub qualifies.

Last I knew though, it was rather expensive, like 5 bucks per bag for this service and that was about 4 or 5 years ago. It may have gone up since then.
Old Feb 16, 08, 6:52 pm

Programs: AGR, PC, HH no status as I stopped paying for travel
It would help me too

Any current information on this subject would be appreciated by me as well.

Last edited by darben; Feb 16, 08 at 6:53 pm Reason: I cannot spell sometimes
Old Feb 16, 08, 6:59 pm

Programs: Elites with (DL, KE, OZ, & SPG)
Hotel Pennsylvania, across from the Penn station (7th ave.) has a Baggage Storage service.

I don't remember exact cost, but it was pretty resonable price in Manhattan compare to rugging around the city.
Old Feb 16, 08, 8:24 pm
Moderator, Amtrak

Originally Posted by darben View Post
Any current information on this subject would be appreciated by me as well.
Well other than the fact that I'm unsure about the charge per bag, the info that I posted above just two days ago is current. There are no lockers in Penn Station. If you have access to the Club Acela, then you can leave your bags there for free. Otherwise the only option within Penn Station is to day check at the baggage counter.

And that will require photo ID, a train ticket or ticket stub, and the requisite fee.
Old Feb 18, 08, 8:01 pm

Thank you

Thanks for the clarification. Now does anyone know how early I can check baggage for a 4:45 PM train? I would like to leave it off about 8:00 AM conduct my business in New York and then just go to my train. Would that be permissable for free or would they charge the day check rate?

Last edited by darben; Feb 18, 08 at 8:04 pm Reason: Can't spell
Old Feb 18, 08, 9:56 pm
Moderator, Amtrak

Originally Posted by darben View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Now does anyone know how early I can check baggage for a 4:45 PM train? I would like to leave it off about 8:00 AM conduct my business in New York and then just go to my train. Would that be permissable for free or would they charge the day check rate?
The checked baggage counter opens at 5:15 AM. One can start checking the bags at any point after that. Now I'm not sure what train you're on that leaves at 4:45 PM out of Penn, but if it offers checked baggage, then you can check your bags onto that train anytime after 5:15 AM without charge.

Note: You won't have access to any checked baggage on the train, so make sure that you still have a carry-on bag with a change of clothes and toiletries. And if you have to leave that carry-on at the checked baggage counter, then they will most likely charge you for that.

After a quick scan of the timeTable, I can't find any Amtrak trains that leave Penn at 4:45 PM.

Last edited by AlanB; Feb 18, 08 at 10:03 pm Reason: Added last paragraph
Old Feb 19, 08, 12:10 am
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by darben
As alanb noted, there is no Amtrak train offering checked baggage service that is scheduled to depart NYP at 4:45 PM. (Checked baggage service is only offered on a handful of departures from NYP.) However, if you are traveling to a station that does offer checked baggage service, Amtrak will transport your baggage, free of charge, on a train that does offer checked baggage service. You just want to make sure that the baggage office in your destination station will still be open when you arrive; otherwise, you will have to wait until the following day to claim your baggage.
Old Feb 22, 08, 2:35 pm

oops

4 pm lake shore
Old Feb 22, 08, 6:36 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Originally Posted by darben
4 pm lake shore
You'll have no problem checking baggage on the LSL on the morning of your departure. In fact, you could even check the baggage in the night before your departure if you wanted to.
Old Apr 16, 08, 1:41 am
Cpi-Web Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: Pure AS MVP Gold75K, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Exclamation Warning... Train Nube

Last time I was on a train was from CHI-IND... back in the 90's... when I was probably 4 or 5...

But I have a question somewhat relevant to this thread and since the OP's question is done... I'll get around to mine, which is about luggage storage (at least part is ) Also fun is I've never been to NY...

I arrive on AS 14 into EWR at the lovely time of 11:30 PM with a friend... and were planning on spending the night in EWR, and then going "into the city" (NY) and checking out the town. I am debating two possibilities of a return since my ride NYC-WAS fell through...

Either leaving from NYP or EWR/NWK...

Looking into #67 leaving NYP at 3 AM 5/11/08 from NYP or 3:20 AM from NWK...

doubt we'll be done with NYC in time to catch the #169 on 4/10/08...

I can store my luggage at a hotel during the day (EWR Sheraton prob.), but then would need to return to EWR to pick it up (Free airport shuttle), taking the airtrain 3 times (into NY, out of NY, back to NWK), and PATH twice... (airtrain gets expensive at $5.50 a ride)...

Or I can take the luggage to NYP and "check it" as #67 has luggage service, especially since we can check it as early as 5:30 AM (from this thread - thanks).

So the easiest and most affordable way to deal with the luggage is to take it into NYC...

However, my concern with this plan is taking luggage onboard the PATH and MTA... We can get by with carry-on if we take this approach, but am wondering if its ok to do, and safe? (I am limited in Big-City transport experience coming from ANC... but have utilized BART more then once so am ok on my comfort level)

And if carry-on sized luggage is ok... what about a larger bag...? (I know probably not...)

Thirdly, if NYP doesn't work out and we end up traveling out of NWK, how strict is the carry-on policy enforced on size? (I have a bag that is 1" too long - will they care? It would be empty, so I can bring goodies from the East Coast (like Scrapple) back to ANC)

I am aware of the discount codes, and that one needs to call an agent to apply them (tried and failed online), so that also adds into my consideration, since the NWK companion code V863 could work...

Leaving from NYP... not sure about the BWI... since another friend picking us up is at George Mason, and that's 18 minutes from WAS or an hour (in good traffic) from BWI... so I think WAS is the final destination despite the discount avail. for BWI companions...

I hope that made some sense

Thanks again!

~Beckoa
Old Apr 16, 08, 2:10 am
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: AS MVP (ex-75K), AA GLD, UA (ex-1K), AGR (ex-S+), HZ PC, Nat'l Exec, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
<snip>

I hope that made some sense

Thanks again!

~Beckoa
I'll leave the luggage storage questions for those with more experience, but I've dragged luggage through Amtrak, NJ Transit, and the NY subway before, and it's never been a problem. I think people are used to others coming to and from the airport via mass transit, and as long as you aren't traveling at rush hour, I don't think it'll be too difficult to get everything on and fit yourself into a seat. (I did an NJT run EWR-NYP with luggage during rush hour once...had to sit on my bag...but it wasn't that bad.) So I agree that the best option is to take it into NYP and check it there ASAP (or at least store it). Runs between New York (or even Newark) and the EWR train station get expensive, because NJT and Amtrak are forced to tack on an Airtrain surcharge to pay for the Airtrain monorail. The fewer times you deal with EWR, the better (and cheaper).

Amtrak barely enforces the carry-on luggage restrictions--if they even do at all. As long as you can carry your stuff yourself and don't have to ask the train crew to help you lug seventeen bags up onto the train, it won't be a problem at all. I've never been on a Regional (only long-distance trains and Acela), but the long-distance Amfleet cars I've been on had huge luggage racks over the seats (had no problem fitting my big full-size Kelty backpack up there), and I think the Regionals should be similarly outfitted (the only difference would be the seats are closer together). I'm not sure if the Regionals have end-of-car luggage storage racks, but if so, that's another storage option. Basically, as long as your bag isn't in the way, you can carry it fine yourself, and it isn't grossly overweight, nobody will even notice, much less give you a hassle about it.

Now, as far as the discounts: if you do end up leaving from NYP instead of NWK, I think you should be able to book NYP-NWK with the 50% off companion and then NWK-WAS with the 50% off companion--for the same train. You would not need to detrain--all you would do is when the conductor comes back around the second time (after NWK), give him the second set of tickets.

However, Amtrak charges an arm and a leg ($33 in the day, $23 for the late departures like you'll be on) for short trips like NYP-NWK (NJ Transit basically forces them to do that to prevent Amtrak from stealing passengers from NJ Transit, since Amtraks are much nicer than NJ Transit). This means that your potential savings would be almost completely eaten up!

BWi-WAS is a more reasonable fare--$14. So you could book NYP (or NWK or whatever)-BWI and then BWI-WAS. Both should qualify for the half-off companion fare. Note, though: I might call two different times to book the segments, as an agent might get suspicious if you try to book both segments with the discount on the same train. Maybe someone around here can advise more on this. (I'm also not sure how doing this would affect your checked luggage situation--the agent may not want to check your bags all the way to WAS if you're only traveling on what looks to him/her like a NYP-BWI ticket...and BWI is most likely unstaffed and does not offer luggage service anyway, so they won't check it to BWI.)

Another alternative would be doing NYP-NWK via NJT, which is a much more reasonable fare (~$10?), though I'm not sure if they run that early in the morning, and then board Amtrak in NWK. You can do the same thing on the far end with MARC trains. You'd need to get off the train at BWI and then wait for a MARC train. Again, I'm not sure what their hours are, but you should probably check the schedule to make sure they're running at the time you'll get in (probably 6am, if you're leaving NYP at 3am) and also to see how long of a wait you'll need (it would suck if you got off the train at 6:10am and had to wait until 7:05am for the next MARC train).

I know this sounds complicated, but it's really not! It just requires a knowledge of how to work the system to save money...

And don't worry--we'll make a train convert out of you yet! (And get you out of that nice, plush F seat on AS...)

Last edited by jackal; Apr 16, 08 at 3:02 am
Old Apr 16, 08, 4:24 am

Programs: Pure AS MVP Gold75K, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Thanks jackal!

Originally Posted by jackal View Post
I know this sounds complicated, but it's really not! It just requires a knowledge of how to work the system to save money...

And don't worry--we'll make a train convert out of you yet! (And get you out of that nice, plush F seat on AS...)
I'll probably go with a NYP-BWI and BWI-WAS so we can use the BWI discount... but now I have an issue... since one cannot check luggage to BWI... so Amtrak "interline" the baggage... will they be able to see when I go to the NYP station that the bags are ultimately going to WAS where I can pick the bags up? Ugh... each place my plans seem to be foiled!
Old Apr 16, 08, 5:05 am
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: AS MVP (ex-75K), AA GLD, UA (ex-1K), AGR (ex-S+), HZ PC, Nat'l Exec, Costco Exec, NPS Passport
Originally Posted by beckoa View Post
Thanks jackal!

I'll probably go with a NYP-BWI and BWI-WAS so we can use the BWI discount... but now I have an issue... since one cannot check luggage to BWI... so Amtrak "interline" the baggage... will they be able to see when I go to the NYP station that the bags are ultimately going to WAS where I can pick the bags up? Ugh... each place my plans seem to be foiled!
Well, if worst comes to worst, go back to plan B and store the bags at NYP (there is a place you can do so--I don't know how much it costs, but AlanB or someone can probably say) and then just carry your bags as carry-ons (which again, should not be a problem).

Avoid storing them at the EWR Sheraton or whatever--NJT is like $17 each way from NYP to EWR. (EWR to NWK+PATH to lower Manhattan isn't much cheaper.) Whatever the bag storage place at NYP costs...it's probably the best option.

If you tell Amtrak that you'd like the bags checked to WAS because BWI does not do checked baggage and that you'll pick them up from WAS sometime later that day (not telling them you'll be continuing on the same train! ), they might do that. It's been reported to work in other instances. Again...someone else who actually lives near all of your proposed activity can probably provide clarity on how to do this!
Old Apr 16, 08, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by jackal View Post
Well, if worst comes to worst, go back to plan B and store the bags at NYP (there is a place you can do so--I don't know how much it costs, but AlanB or someone can probably say) and then just carry your bags as carry-ons (which again, should not be a problem).

Avoid storing them at the EWR Sheraton or whatever--NJT is like $17 each way from NYP to EWR. (EWR to NWK+PATH to lower Manhattan isn't much cheaper.) Whatever the bag storage place at NYP costs...it's probably the best option.

If you tell Amtrak that you'd like the bags checked to WAS because BWI does not do checked baggage and that you'll pick them up from WAS sometime later that day (not telling them you'll be continuing on the same train! ), they might do that. It's been reported to work in other instances. Again...someone else who actually lives near all of your proposed activity can probably provide clarity on how to do this!
I think the cost from EWR-NYP breaks down as such: (Correct me if I'm wrong... want a good handle on this...)

EWR-NWK $5.50 on Airtrain
NWK-NYP $1.75 on PATH
For a total of $7.25 OW... is this correct?

Thanks for the input!

(Off to sleep now )

Search this Thread