DTW-worst Avis location?


Old Aug 11, 13, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: MCI
Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
Posts: 208
DTW-worst Avis location?

Is it me, or can anyone else relate to the unacceptable, tremendously long waits for the shuttle (specifically from the North Terminal). When I fly into Detroit, my average wait is about 20 minutes, while 2-3 Hertz, 1-2 Budget, 2-3 National/Alamo busses pass by. Last time I was there, as the bus was taking us back to the N. Terminal, the driver decided he needed to give a co-worker a ride for a very very short distance, and, in addition to delaying all of us passengers, hit a car turning around to exit. I complain time and time again at this location (usually at the Preferred Counter, because they NEVER have my name on the board due to "lack of cars" or other sorry excuse). I've event Tweeted Avis, but got no response to that, feedback emails, etc. I've had bad experiences at many locations, but Detroit HAS to be one of the worst...
tashworth is offline
Old Aug 11, 13, 8:27 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 7,148
There's a chance that the multiple Hertz (or other) buses is actually 1 bus making multiple rounds. They usually circle around until they get a rider. But it could be multiple buses.

In any event, I've had the same issue at DTW several times. I'm locked to Avis so I don't have any other options. If you aren't locked into Avis, it's time to walk away if I were you.
IAHtraveler is offline
Old Aug 11, 13, 8:37 pm

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Orlando, FL, US
Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
Posts: 3,605
Originally Posted by tashworth View Post
Is it me, or can anyone else relate to the unacceptable, tremendously long waits for the shuttle (specifically from the North Terminal). When I fly into Detroit, my average wait is about 20 minutes, while 2-3 Hertz, 1-2 Budget, 2-3 National/Alamo busses pass by.
I haven't been to DTW in a long time, but I've had the same problem with Avis at ORD and one or two other airports.
djk7 is offline
Old Aug 11, 13, 8:40 pm

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20
I rent from DTW 2-4 times a year for the past 3-4 years, can't really say I've had a problem. This past May I booked a luxury, had a BMW X5 in my assigned spot (just a regular Preferred member). I agree they don't run buses as often has Hertz, etc, but I haven't had to wait 20mins ...unless it has changed since May. I fly in Friday, I'm curious now.
mrjones is offline
Old Aug 12, 13, 8:47 am

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SYR
Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Posts: 2,718
BOS is the same way. AVIS typically only runs (2) buses at a time, and it takes 30 minutes to make the loop... So, its up to a 15-minute wait. In the meantime, I've seen 5 hertz busses, 5 national buses, thifty, alamo, etc.

Luckily, BOS will have a new facility (Consolidated Rental Car facility, known as the "ConRAC" - awful name) opening in late September. All the rental agency bus drivers are being laid off and they can apply for a job with MassPORT if they want to drive for the new facility. I'm hoping this means there'll be tons of buses.
bkafrick is offline
Old Aug 12, 13, 9:38 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 7,148
Originally Posted by bkafrick View Post
Luckily, BOS will have a new facility (Consolidated Rental Car facility, known as the "ConRAC" - awful name) opening in late September. All the rental agency bus drivers are being laid off and they can apply for a job with MassPORT if they want to drive for the new facility. I'm hoping this means there'll be tons of buses.
That's good news! Hopefully the current "Customer Facility Charge" of $6/day is the "tax" for the new center and hopefully another tax isn't in the mix for it.
IAHtraveler is offline
Old Aug 13, 13, 11:10 pm

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SYR
Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Posts: 2,718
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
That's good news! Hopefully the current "Customer Facility Charge" of $6/day is the "tax" for the new center and hopefully another tax isn't in the mix for it.
I'm willing to bet the $6/day sticks around though... Sort of like the tolls on roads that were supposed to go away when the road bonds were paid off, but somehow "stuck around" indefinitely because our government couldnt do without the revenue stream?

bkafrick is offline
Old Aug 17, 13, 12:39 am

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: STL
Programs: AA EXP, Delta Gold, Mariott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis Presidents Club
Posts: 305
Last week I rented here (PC) a intermediate. I was asked to come in the office, as it was my first rental. They gave me the spot of my car location, and it was a non-upgraded Avenger. I walked out to the spot, and there was no car there. When I went back inside the person at the counter made me wait until he served everyone else in line (after I had just done this) and then told me someone else must have taken it. After waiting 10 minutes he finally decided he wasn't going to find another intermediate car and sent me to the exchange section to get my own car, then had me come back inside so he could change the ticket before letting me leave.

So once again, not the greatest impression on can give for a Avis location. Starting to make my STL home location look good.
vatali is offline
Old Aug 20, 13, 11:19 am

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20
Arrow

I visited DTW this past weekend (Fri-Sun). Bus was waiting at the stop when I arrived and also had one waiting when I dropped off the car. Luck or increased bus frequency? Booked a Luxury, had a Hyundai Genesis in my spot. Asked for something different, offered at BMW 328ix... requested something bigger, offered an Infiniti M37x, took it. No problems
mrjones is offline
Old Aug 20, 13, 1:35 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

Join Date: Oct 2006
Programs: US Platinum, United 1k, HHonors Diamond, Avis CC, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Gold
Posts: 7,148
Originally Posted by mrjones View Post
offered an Infiniti M37x, took it. No problems
Good choice; it's ne of my favorites currently in the Avis line-up, which is surprising since they've had them for a couple years now. However, all of them that I've seen lately seem to have already been put through a horrendous life on the inside. Others that I currently like: Infiniti JX & QX, Caddi XTS, Fusion Titanium, MKS and Durango (surprisingly.. as long as you can get one with all the goodies).
IAHtraveler is offline
Old Aug 23, 13, 1:07 pm

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Up in the Air
Programs: OW Emerald
Posts: 477
I used to rent from DTW almost weekly for a year long stretch back in 2011 and I had good experiences with renting. Abet I flew Delta into the main Nakamura terminal so no real issues with Avis buses then.

Preferred desk was always pretty good about pre-upgrading me and frequently accomdating my requests to change out to any car on the preferred lot though to be fair, the BMWs/Infinitis/Camaros were kept by the general entrance lot and never seen in the preferred lot. Preferred lot normally topped out at the Caddy SRX/Lincoln MKS.
dchen2 is offline
Old Sep 5, 13, 3:33 pm

Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by IAHtraveler View Post
Good choice; it's ne of my favorites currently in the Avis line-up, which is surprising since they've had them for a couple years now. However, all of them that I've seen lately seem to have already been put through a horrendous life on the inside. Others that I currently like: Infiniti JX & QX, Caddi XTS, Fusion Titanium, MKS and Durango (surprisingly.. as long as you can get one with all the goodies).
Missed this.

I actually prefer the G37 over the M37. G37 felt more nimble and quicker.. and felt overall better to drive. But I did enjoy the AC seats and the factory satnav in the M37. And surprisingly, to me anyways, M37 is very easy to park and maneuver in tight parking garages.

I'd love to try the 740i... unfortunately I have yet to rent from a location that actually has them...
mrjones is offline
Old Sep 8, 13, 2:03 pm

Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: ATL
Programs: AA/SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,450
LAX is the worst. The very worst. Last time I waited nearly 30 minutes for the Avis bus and when it came it just blew past the stop despite not being full and with about ten people waiting at T7. I called the lot and after some shouting another bus came about 15 minutes later.

Meanwhile dozens of multiple Hertz/Enterprise/et al buses showed up. Unfortunately I am locked to Avis due to corp travel scheming.
born sleepy is offline
Old May 6, 17, 8:27 am

Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1
Worst Customer service period

Avis Rental
DTW Location

Where to Start.
Arrived walking from Hertz location. Lady in preferred rejects to serve us. Fails to tell us that preferred is free to register by phone. Tells us to walk in cold to other location where she should have asked bus to give us ride. She just plays on phone and watches video. Now the main location has one employee working. Each customer takes 7-10 minutes as she serves and also answer reservation calls. 15 Customers ahead I had to stand in line for 2 Hours. Ask for manager or supervisor; was told 2 Managers are coming to help and listen to complain. An hour later no manager comes. Worst service received in this line of business ever. Lady behind the Main counter is good. Lady @ preferred is awful. Business run awfully in this location. Totally disappointed. 22843976US1
Sean Zacharias is offline
Old May 6, 17, 11:06 am

Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: AA, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Posts: 1,240
Originally Posted by Sean Zacharias View Post
Worst Customer service period

Avis Rental
DTW Location

Where to Start.
Arrived walking from Hertz location. Lady in preferred rejects to serve us. Fails to tell us that preferred is free to register by phone. Tells us to walk in cold to other location where she should have asked bus to give us ride. She just plays on phone and watches video. Now the main location has one employee working. Each customer takes 7-10 minutes as she serves and also answer reservation calls. 15 Customers ahead I had to stand in line for 2 Hours. Ask for manager or supervisor; was told 2 Managers are coming to help and listen to complain. An hour later no manager comes. Worst service received in this line of business ever. Lady behind the Main counter is good. Lady @ preferred is awful. Business run awfully in this location. Totally disappointed. 22843976US1
So you're not preferred but tried to use the preferred booth, weren't given a ride to the other location because of your mistake, and had to wait in a line like everywhere else? I fail to see how Avis provided poor service... did anyone speak to you in a rude manner, was the car you received not clean or damaged?
kb9522 is offline

Thread Tools
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 7:00 pm.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by cpi-web.ru. Copyright 2017 cpi-web.ru. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.