Go Back > > >
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 16, 17, 8:11 am #1
Original Poster

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Programs: SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Black, BA Gold, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Posts: 458
NYE in Rio

We've booked the JW Marriott Rio de Janeiro (which is right on Copacabana Beach) for Dec 28 through Jan 1, it's our first trip to South America.
I knew their party would be expensive, but it the prices are just excessive.
800-900 USD per person. No way.

Are there any other parties you can recommend?
We would prefer to stay somewhere with views of the beach/fireworks, not on the beach itself.
And of course we would like to make it home safely after midnight, so ideally it shouldn't be too far from our hotel.

Any recommendations?
Up to ~300 USD per person would be ok (provided that drinks are included).
Thanks!
ChocolateFactory is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 17, 7:01 pm #2

Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: YYC
Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, AMEX Plat
Posts: 181
All the hotels do their own parties for guests as you found out, but the balance of the high rise buildings are residential. Some of the more enterprising locals who own beachfront condos sell tickets and have parties, but you'll be language limited I imagine, so that option is probably out as well.

The best bet would be to walk around Avenida Atlantica on day one and check out which restaurants have parties with tickets for sale. Normally everything "except" the really expensive higher end imported liquor is included. So, no bottomless Johnny Walker Blue or Dom Perignon for example.

The Marriott is right beside the restaurant "LA MAISON" which is my hangout. I've been going there for 17 years and they always have a party. The food is good and the service is awesome, many of the waiters and the GM have been there for as long as I have been going there. I've never been to their NYE party though, as I find myself in the crowd out on the beach. This place is about 75' from the front door of your hotel. There is a lot of choices within the center of Copacabana.

Last edited by KDS777; Oct 16, 17 at 7:23 pm
KDS777 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 17, 8:19 pm #3
Original Poster

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Programs: SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Black, BA Gold, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Posts: 458
Thank you again for your knowledable input as usual!

Would we still have a chance to get tickets when we arrive on December 28?
Wouldn't it be better (and cheaper) to buy tickets now?

Does La Maison have views of the beach, maybe even a rooftop bar?

What makes you choose the beach over a party at a bar?
From what I've read it gets extremely crowded, meaning you'd have to be on the beach many hours before midnight, with lots of pickpockets and where you might not even be able to buy (safe) drinks?
I'm not a big fan of massive outdoor parties in major Western cities because I feel it's always way too crowded and it doesn't really feel safe.
I would assume it would be even worse in Rio?
(Even though I understand that some people may like being part of a large, partying crowd.)
ChocolateFactory is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 17, 1:31 am #4

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory View Post
What makes you choose the beach over a party at a bar?
IMO, Because the beach IS Reveillon in Rio. Being in the midst of the local family culture, celebrating together with them, seeing the religious tradition of jumping waves and other unique rituals of Brazil and Rio are what make Reveillon Brazilian.
You can watch fireworks with "westernized" rich people at a party anywhere in the world.

Yes, you have to take reasonable care with anything you bring to the beach, but that is a fact of life/travel anywhere in Brazil at any time, and of course, you wouldn't bring much with you anyway.

A compromise might be booking a party and leaving briefly to make a sortie onto the beach, maybe just before the fireworks, which you will see many folks do.
VidaNaPraia is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 17, 1:17 pm #5

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Programs: BA Silver, SPG Plat, LeClubAccor Plat
Posts: 919
Every single restaurant on the beachfront in Copa (and all the kiosks) will be organizing a party. Because everything in Brazil is done last minute, most won't even have finalized their pricing until 1 month before.

U$300p/p will cover a party at most hotels and any restaurants including food and alcohol.

Note that any restaurants at street level will not have a good view of the fireworks, so most guests will go to the beach for the fireworks and then return.

I would recommend Venga tapas bar, which should fall whithin your budget and has a great location. If you want to splurge and have a "once in a lifetime" you could consider the ballroom at the Copacabana Palace, complete with a gourmet dinner, but that will be in the vicinity of U$800-1000p/p
RafKa is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 17, 2:19 pm #6
Original Poster

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Programs: SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Black, BA Gold, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Posts: 458
I guess we'll just decide after our arrival then. Thank you!
ChocolateFactory is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 17, 3:40 pm #7

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,488
Any other year, I'd say "after our arrival" (on December 28) would not be possible. My carioca friends usually plan a bit further ahead than that, despite the last minute-ness of Brazilians. Maybe this year, with the extreme financial crisis in Brazil and relative lack of tourists, it might be a bit different, but not sure I myself would count on finding a good place at that point. I suppose you might find out about what it's like to be on the beach all night.
VidaNaPraia is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 17, 3:44 pm #8

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Programs: AAGld 1MM, UA Slv, MRT/SPG Plat, PCAmb
Posts: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post
Yes, you have to take reasonable care with anything you bring to the beach, but that is a fact of life/travel anywhere in Brazil at any time, and of course, you wouldn't bring much with you anyway.
My wife and I spent New Year's Eve in Rio many years ago at a time when we lived in Miami and that was our usual New Year's experience. I remember being impressed at how organized things were that night - even more so than back in the USA. We were very careful the other nights to not wander on the beach after dark, and in general have always been very conscious of surroundings during Brazil visits over the years. But on New Year's Eve we felt comfortable walking around Copacabana and the beach in areas with a lot of people and made sure not to have anything valuable with us.
dbuckho is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 17, 3:48 pm #9

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,488
360 degree view of fireworks from Copacabana beach:
https://360cities.net/virtual-to...08?view=simple

You can see that there are families, little kids and some people even have their babies with them.
VidaNaPraia is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 17, 5:49 pm #10
Original Poster

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Programs: SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Black, BA Gold, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post
Any other year, I'd say "after our arrival" (on December 28) would not be possible. My carioca friends usually plan a bit further ahead than that, despite the last minute-ness of Brazilians. Maybe this year, with the extreme financial crisis in Brazil and relative lack of tourists, it might be a bit different, but not sure I myself would count on finding a good place at that point. I suppose you might find out about what it's like to be on the beach all night.
Yeah, that was my expectation.
Which is why I was asking for recommendations here.
Anything in particular you'd recommend?
ChocolateFactory is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 17, 7:57 pm #11

Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory View Post
From what I've read it gets extremely crowded, meaning you'd have to be on the beach many hours before midnight, with lots of pickpockets and where you might not even be able to buy (safe) drinks?
There will be pickpockets on the beach but that’s a given 24/7/365 in Rio. Given the sheer amount of people on the beach odds are it’s prolly the safest night to be there though.

I have no fear of buying unsafe drinks nor have I ever heard of anyone having issues with that. Perhaps you are confusing Rio with Mexico? There will be tons of people selling drinks from beers (in unopened cans) to cocktails.

Unfortunately I can not provide you with any good options of the type you are looking for. I can say that I will be there for NYE as well and we (my wife and her family) are planning on going to the beach ourselves.
Esmjb is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 17, 8:14 pm #12
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 68,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
Every single restaurant on the beachfront in Copa (and all the kiosks) will be organizing a party. Because everything in Brazil is done last minute, most won't even have finalized their pricing until 1 month before.

U$300p/p will cover a party at most hotels and any restaurants including food and alcohol.

Note that any restaurants at street level will not have a good view of the fireworks, so most guests will go to the beach for the fireworks and then return.

I would recommend Venga tapas bar, which should fall whithin your budget and has a great location. If you want to splurge and have a "once in a lifetime" you could consider the ballroom at the Copacabana Palace, complete with a gourmet dinner, but that will be in the vicinity of U$800-1000p/p
I'd certainly pick the Copacabana Palace over the Marriott for almost the same price, although it would be easiest/safest to also stay in the Copacabana Palace.

The cheap option might be to get a ocean/fireworks view room at the Marriott or wherever and enjoy the view from your room (or suite), combined with a careful stroll on the beach. Assuming that your room has an in-room safe, I'd leave everything there except for the room keycard, a bit of cash, and perhaps a passport card as ID in a secure pocket only, with no wallet, purse, backpack, etc.
MSPeconomist is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 17, 3:56 am #13
Original Poster

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Programs: SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Black, BA Gold, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Posts: 458
I booked an ocean view room at the Marriott (for less than the price of the few rooms I could still find at the Copacabana Palace - it was sold out on most websites).
But then again, I don't really see myself spending NYE in my hotel room...
ChocolateFactory is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 17, 5:04 am #14

Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory View Post
Anything in particular you'd recommend?
Sorry, those parties aren't my thing. My companions and I will be on the beach enjoying the celebration among cariocas.
VidaNaPraia is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 17, 2:09 pm #15

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Vancouver/Toronto/Hong Kong
Programs: HGP DM, SPG P75, A3 Gold, CX Gold
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory View Post
I booked an ocean view room at the Marriott (for less than the price of the few rooms I could still find at the Copacabana Palace - it was sold out on most websites).
But then again, I don't really see myself spending NYE in my hotel room...
Planning the same thing with my girlfriend, first trip to South America as well! Do you mind sharing what rate are you paying at the Marriott? I am trying to decide if I want to go for the Hilton or Marriott.... Hilton's price is much more reasonable for ocean view room

By the way, where did you see Marriott's NYE party prices? I didn't see it on their website.
l380 is offline Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
- FlyerTalk - Archive - Top