Go Back > > >
Old Oct 22, 15, 5:11 am #1
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Late Fall / Early Winter Family Getaway

Hey All~
The last several years my wife and little ladies (now 3 & 4) have gotten out of the winters of Massachusetts in November and February. We are heading back to Cancun in February, but have yet to come up with a destination for our Early winter trip. I have been tossing around Disney, which the girls have have never been, and are Princess Crazed! I was thinking that if we did do disney, we may go for 4/5 days, and then head somewhere else in FL (south or west) possibly Tampa area? However, I've read that one must book Way in advance to secure certain things, like the princess experiences...

That said, do you feel the disney experience could be done on short notice, or feel it may be better to table that trip - and possibly look into Next year Now? If no Disney, do you have other recommendations? We were thinking Hawaii (none of us have been), but Soooo far from us.

As a family, We have been to Jamaica (Hilton), Cancun (JW) & Aruba (Hyatt). The walkability / safety of Aruba was great, and considering a 3rd trip - but would love to try somewhere New, however the fear of the unknown always kicks in. The girls love water slides, and mom and I love the beach / walking about, and hopefully not feel restricted to the hotel (as we do while in Jamaica).

Do any destinations pop out to you?

With the points game, we certainly try to stay where we have status, and / or pay little to nothing. Right now that would mean staying at:

Hyatt
SPG
IHG
Hilton
Marriott
Wyndham
Best Western

With Flights on AA (ideally).

Appreciate any suggestions you all may have!

D
d20513 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 17, 9:40 am #2
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton - Diamond / Marriott - Platinum / SPG - Platinum / Priority Club - Platinum
Two years and a week later, and I find myself in the same position!

Ready for our next winter getaway.

Any recommendations / thoughts, with the Same info as above, are GREAT!Y appreciated!

Thanks
Old Oct 31, 17, 10:01 am #3

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, UA Silver
A few years ago we did the Orlando -> Disney Cruise end of Dec.. to early Jan. It was really great weather and not very crowded at the parks. We spent a few days at Disney World, and got on 7-days Disney Caribbean cruise, back to Orlando for Universal.

I think your kids would love it. The only thing is that you will be seeing lots of kids.. the entire 2 weeks especially when you are on the cruise... with over 1000 kids....
Need is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 17, 9:25 am #4

Disneyworld requires a level of advance planning that defies logic. No doubt people go without planning but if princess meet and greets, dinner in Cinderella's Castle are important, you need to plan way in advance. The planning forums on the Disboards is a good place to start. We did a Thanksgiving trip to Orlando twice, once to Disney and the other to Universal. Crowds at Disney were insane. Crowds at Universal were manageable.

I have heard very, very good things about Disney cruises from friends.

We are in the same boat, looking for a warm, beach vacation. All our usual spots are hurricane damaged. Hubs grew up in Florida and doesn't really want to revisit it again. However, friends love Marco Island and Sanibel Island.
Lovethecabin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 17, 9:01 pm #5
Original Poster

We’re going to hold off on Disney, for at least another year - and I am not a cruise fan...

I have just learned that my trip rewards status will provide 4 “Free” nights at Atlantis. God knows that food etc will be ridiculous, but... Still Contemplating. If we hit Bahamas, I’d add another 4 nights at the new Grand Hyatt Bar Mar.
I’ve read mixed reviews about the weather in December. Anyone have any first hand experience with temps in early December?
Old Nov 2, 17, 11:40 am #6

I hear you on cruising, not our thing either.

We did a week on Provo, T&C, which is slightly south of the main Bahama chain, in January. The water was cool. The warm days were very nice, the cool days were windy with temps in the upper 60s, low 70s. Better than at home but not warm enough for us to return in the winter.
Lovethecabin is offline Reply With Quote