Go Back > > >
Old Sep 23, 17, 10:53 pm #1
Original Poster

Costa Rica resorts

Looking at a 20th anniversary trip in late November to Costa Rica. Wife would really like a resort, beach and all inclusive. Lots of recommendations for the Hyatt Andaz, which isn't ai (but could add it for $250/day), so shes been looking at the Westin Playa Conchal via our SPG points. Any other properties we should consider, or any pros/cons of the properties above? Any resort near the arsenal volcano worth recommending? Also, I have no hotel status currently, is there a card I could get for status that would be beneficial to our stay at any properties?
chevy454 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 10:09 pm #2

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. AAdvantage Platinum Pro. MileagePlus Premier Platinum. Ex-SkyMiles Silver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy454 View Post
Looking at a 20th anniversary trip in late November to Costa Rica. Wife would really like a resort, beach and all inclusive. Lots of recommendations for the Hyatt Andaz, which isn't ai (but could add it for $250/day), so shes been looking at the Westin Playa Conchal via our SPG points. Any other properties we should consider, or any pros/cons of the properties above? Any resort near the arsenal volcano worth recommending? Also, I have no hotel status currently, is there a card I could get for status that would be beneficial to our stay at any properties?
SPG in Guanacaste: * El Mangroove, Playa Panama, just became a Marriott Autograph Collection hotel,
* There is also the JW Marriott, near Tamarindo.
ariel_sjo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 17, 10:40 pm #3
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel_sjo View Post
SPG in Guanacaste: * El Mangroove, Playa Panama, just became a Marriott Autograph Collection hotel,
* There is also the JW Marriott, near Tamarindo.
My wife's first choice is westin playa conchal, but I saw a review from someone that wasnt impressed with the rooms and they said the beach isn't viewable from the rooms? And the Marriotts (my choice) don't offer all inclusive on rewards stays. Do you have an opinion on which is the nicest and most beach friendly?
chevy454 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 17, 10:53 pm #4

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. AAdvantage Platinum Pro. MileagePlus Premier Platinum. Ex-SkyMiles Silver.
Quote:
My wife's first choice is westin playa conchal, but I saw a review from someone that wasnt impressed with the rooms and they said the beach isn't viewable from the rooms? And the Marriotts (my choice) don't offer all inclusive on rewards stays. Do you have an opinion on which is the nicest and most beach friendly?
I'm afraid I can't comment on those hotels, never been on them. But I strongly suggest to read TripAdvisor reviews.
Old Oct 6, 17, 9:57 pm #5

Programs: UA,AA, WN CP
Quote:
Just returned from Marriotts Guanacaste, very nice trip, a little bit of a drive from LIR but worth it. We did not think food was that much with the 10% Marriott credit card discount. There is a mandatory 10%+13% tax on food. Oct. through Dec is rain season, would not go then.
mrlasssen is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 17, 4:02 pm #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlasssen View Post
Just returned from Marriotts Guanacaste, very nice trip, a little bit of a drive from LIR but worth it. We did not think food was that much with the 10% Marriott credit card discount. There is a mandatory 10%+13% tax on food. Oct. through Dec is rain season, would not go then.
They give discount for using the Marriott credit card?
YoungBubbie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 17, 10:26 pm #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie View Post
They give discount for using the Marriott credit card?
The 10 per cent discount was because of Silver status that comes with having the Marriott credit card. All charges were put on the Reserve card.
Old Nov 5, 17, 5:36 am #8

Thanks for clarification.

Recommendations please!

Doing a 5 day TP. Shoud i do 5 days at JW and 2 at El Mangroove or vice versa?

Appreciate all input. Thank you.
YoungBubbie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 17, 5:06 pm #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie View Post
Thanks for clarification.

Recommendations please!

Doing a 5 day TP. Shoud i do 5 days at JW and 2 at El Mangroove or vice versa?

Appreciate all input. Thank you.
I have not been to the El Mangroove, we thoroughly enjoyed the JW, a car is really helpful yet expensive compared to US rates.
Old Yesterday, 6:27 pm #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlasssen View Post
I have not been to the El Mangroove, we thoroughly enjoyed the JW, a car is really helpful yet expensive compared to US rates.
Yes, they are more expensive because you can decline all coverage in US. While in Costa Rica third party insurance is mandatory, and unless you come with your own Crash Damage/Loss Waiver insurance (contracted or credit card benefit), it is mandatory as well. The average is $11-13 per day for the first, plus $21-27 per day for the later. I always decline CDW/LDW because my credit card has that benefit, but it increases the deposit, most of them at $2,500, but some agencies can freeze up to $5K.

Last edited by ariel_sjo; Yesterday at 6:32 pm