Go Back Cpi-Web Forums > Destinations > Asia > China
Reload this Page > Help!! New China Visa Photo Requirements

Help!! New China Visa Photo Requirements

Old Feb 13, 17, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Help!! New China Visa Photo Requirements

In Dec. 2016, China changed its Visa Photo requirements. The new size is different from your typical US Passport size (2" by 2" or 51mm x 51mm). The new size is (from memory) 33mm x 48mm.

I am the kind of person who tries to play by the rules, but, in the small, rural area where I live its all these folks can do is to meet US Passport requirements.

Has anyone here have their less than perfect size Visa size picture rejected by the Chinese Embassy??
Old Feb 13, 17, 6:52 pm

Try This, go to mr google, then search "new chinese visa photo generator" the first link "e passport photo " should be good, just be careful to pick china and on the next screen there are two links where they try to get you to pay for the service, but below on the middle of the screen is a link to get it for free.

you will need a digital photo of yourself, an existing digital 2x2 passport photo will be fine, then upload it to this or another passport/visa photo generator site and then use the converter and download your new image, then you can save it and bring it some place to be printed on better paper or whatever. definitely the best way to go.

i currently have a valid us passport and chinese visa and i got very spooked by your post because I might have to apply again, FYI: I checked with VisaHQ

"
Hello,

If you have a valid multiple entry visa and it is valid there would be no need to apply again after the photo requirements change.

--
G Gfrom VisaHQ
On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 "I" < wrote:
Hello,

I noticed the Chinese Visa Photo Requirements have changed.

I already have a brand new passport issued in September 2016, I also used you, VisaHQ for my Chinese Visa, also brand new issued in 2016.

Here is my question, if I ALREADY HAVE A NEW AND VALID CHINESE VISA ISSUED BEFORE THIS RECENT PHOTO SIZE REQUIREMENT CHANGE (mine is a tourist L if that matters), when was it December 2016 that the change was implemented?

DO I HAVE TO APPLY FOR A NEW VISA? IF I ALREADY HAVE ONE WHICH IS SAID TO BE VALID FOR THE NEXT TEN YEARS?

You might also think about putting this on your chinese visa page in red and in your FAQs
"

I hope this hopes current chinese visa holders and new applicants.
Old Feb 13, 17, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!
Old Feb 14, 17, 12:29 am
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Second that site. We haven't used them for Chinese visas but we used them for US passports. 58 cents for 4 snaps for each of us (printing cost, we didn't pay them anything) and I still have the .jpegs but they aren't really recent enough anymore.
Old Feb 14, 17, 11:26 am
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Very picky on photos.

http://eg.china-embassy.org/eng/ywzn...7997222806.pdf
Old Feb 14, 17, 11:52 am

I never strictly met their requirements and it was never an issue.
Old Feb 14, 17, 1:07 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Originally Posted by JPDM View Post
I never strictly met their requirements and it was never an issue.
I've had to plead my case a few times, but was never turned down. That having been said, I've witnessed many rejections first hand. As such, I think it's prudent to attempt to give them exactly what they want.

Last edited by moondog; Feb 14, 17 at 10:25 pm
Old Feb 14, 17, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I had no problems 3 years ago when I got my first (1 year) visa to China

But now things have changed--this is the NEW Chinese standards that just went into effect in December 2016 and people are getting turned down now

There is an android app that we found that works well for taking Passports and Visa pictures

Last edited by John Isaac; Feb 14, 17 at 4:22 pm
Old Feb 14, 17, 6:28 pm

If they want to be difficult, they can find a problem with just about any photograph using that blacklist, especially contrast-too-high and head-too-small-too-big. And improper-color.
Old Feb 14, 17, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Fairmont PC Premier; Marriott Gold; SPG Gold; Hertz PC
Those requirements are from 2012. Got a visa that year, and in 2014, and never had any issues getting a generic passport photo shot at the place across from my office.
Old Feb 14, 17, 8:09 pm
Ambassador: China

Programs: UA AA CO
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
Those requirements are from 2012.
Double Up! http://shanghaidaily.com/metro/p.../shdaily.shtml

First face-recognition system for air passengers boarding in China.

It takes pictures of passengers’ faces at security checkpoints and stores them in a database along with their boarding pass information.

When passengers submit their passes for scanning as they board their flight, a camera at the boarding gate captures their images again and compares their facial features with photos taken previously.

Yes they got a pile of new requirements in 2016

Last edited by anacapamalibu; Feb 14, 17 at 8:39 pm
Old Feb 14, 17, 10:09 pm

At least you are allowed to smile. I had to resubmit my Canadian passport application 3 times a few years ago because of the photo.
Old Feb 14, 17, 10:40 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889 View Post
If they want to be difficult, they can find a problem with just about any photograph using that blacklist, especially contrast-too-high and head-too-small-too-big. And improper-color.
The automated system at epassportphoto does a very good job with at least US passport photos. It shows marks into which you must put the top of the head and the chin. While I have never tried it for the Chinese requirements I would expect it would work the same. The requirements can be narrow and yet it's easy to do.

Contrast too high I agree could be hard to define. The improper color one seemed clear to me despite the fact my color vision is flawed. It looks like the sort of situation where you have two different colors of light involved (something that takes someone far more skilled than I to fix. I can fix it to the extent of making the white white but if that's not enough I'm not even going to try), or what could happen in the film days when your light color didn't match the film you had loaded. These days it's usually due to incandescent lamps or warm-white lamps mixed with a flash or daylight. (Hint: If you don't understand how it happens make sure the flash is most of the energy involved and it's not likely to occur.)
Old Feb 14, 17, 11:16 pm

"The improper color one seemed clear to me despite the fact my color vision is flawed."

I can see a slight difference when that photo is lined up against all the others for comparison. But take that photo and look at it alone -- just like when submitting the visa application -- and I wouldn't see anything wrong with it.
Old Feb 15, 17, 3:27 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889 View Post
"The improper color one seemed clear to me despite the fact my color vision is flawed."

I can see a slight difference when that photo is lined up against all the others for comparison. But take that photo and look at it alone -- just like when submitting the visa application -- and I wouldn't see anything wrong with it.
Since when have you seen a person with a skin tone like that?

And I've changed my mind on how that happened:

I think there is a substantial amount of warm light on the wall behind her but the light on her face is from a flash. The camera tried to make sense of this, pulled the wall to white which pushed her face towards the blue, making her look like she's got a smurf somewhere in her ancestry.

Search this Thread