Go Back > > >
Old Oct 30, 17, 1:01 pm #1
Original Poster

Layover guide please help!

Hey so Iím traveling to Japan Nov. 1 and I have a layover in PEK, but itís only an hour and a half. This is my first international flight so I had no idea that I had to go through immigration and customs since itís not my destination county. Iím freaking out now because Iím afraid Iím going to miss my next flight and all the other forums Iíve been seeing says itís not enough time. Does anyone have any tips or anything to speed up the process? Iím flying in from Dallas on American Airlines and than I transfer to Japan Airlines and fly into Tokyo Haneda Airport. The website says Iím landing in terminal 2 but I donít know what terminal I leave out of. I bought the ticket all together if I miss the flight will the put me on the next flight for free? Does anyone have a map? Iím going to have one checked luggage, I canít afford to get lost. Please help.
Spiritandliv is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 17, 8:25 am #2

Programs: UA, CX, BR
I'm no expert on the Beijing airport, only having changed planes there once. I would say, just stay calm and collected: you always might make it. If you don't, AA is absolutely responsible for getting you on the next flight to your destination, luggage to follow. If your flight in is late, go to the transfer desk.
taipeipeter is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 17, 1:59 am #3

Programs: B6, AA
Anytime you involve China it can be bad. Beijing and Shanghai, at one point, held the dubious distinction of being the worse in the world for on-time performance. You may find yourself sprinting around to catch your connection.

Japan Airlines operates out of Terminal 3 so there will be a terminal transfer to complete. You'll need to take the connection shuttle between terminals but it runs fairly often unless you arrive in the wee hours of the night/early early morning.

It has been some time since I made a connection there. My mother went through earlier this year and said signage is good. PEK has a transfer guide on their website that may help. There is a brief English video guide (after the Chinese commercials) available on their website. en [dot] bcia [dot] com [dot] cn/ guide/ transfer_i_i [dot] shtml

FT won't allow me to post websites as I don't come out of my lurking to post enough. Insert appropriate punctuation and delete the spaces.

Even though you bought the ticket together, if you went through an agency, make sure it is the same ticket number and they did not present it to you as 1 ticket and then they booked it as 2. Given it's AA to JL, I doubt it since they are both oneWorld. If it's the same ticket (on the same ticket number) then AA will rebook to the next flight to TYO if it is their fault for free. If you meandered into Duty Free/Food Court/Bathroom/fell asleep/got distracted and missed your flight, it's your fault. Keep in mind in the worse case scenario, the next available flight may be to Tokyo Narita rather than Tokyo Haneda but you can connect between the two airports easily.

Most importantly, don't be afraid to ask for directions!
kayun is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 17, 2:55 am #4

You can't do a 1hr30min transfer in PEK with change of Terminal from T2 to T3. That's below MCT, and won't be sold on one ticket. I'd check on that again. It's either a much longer layover, or not a change of terminals. 1.5hrs within T2 or T3 is perfectly doable.

PEK, while not being a great airport to transfer, is much better than doing an int-int transfer in many other countries (like the US) where you might even have to pay money to do so (ESTA, for example) - in PEK you can even get out of the airport and into the city for up to three days (72hrs TWOV - you'll spot the advertisements while there)
YuropFlyer is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 17, 12:48 pm #5

Programs: B6, AA
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post
You can't do a 1hr30min transfer in PEK with change of Terminal from T2 to T3. That's below MCT, and won't be sold on one ticket. I'd check on that again. It's either a much longer layover, or not a change of terminals. 1.5hrs within T2 or T3 is perfectly doable.

Check with AA as I'm thinking you may have become a victim of their terminal move. They used to be in T3 which would have made the connection to JL easier but with their investment tie-up with CZ, they moved to T2 to facilitate connections to CZ.
kayun is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 17, 8:51 pm #6

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Although the terminal change takes time, you MAY not need to go through immigration and customs since you are not entering China.

Still, 90 minutes is just way too short.

Enjoy Japan. I think it's the best of Asia!
roberto99 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 17, 1:59 am #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberto99 View Post
Although the terminal change takes time, you MAY not need to go through immigration and customs since you are not entering China.

Still, 90 minutes is just way too short.

Enjoy Japan. I think it's the best of Asia!
You clearly haven't been to PEK before. Don't give OP wrong "advise".

You can't switch between T2 and T3 (and vice versa) airside. You've to get landside, using their 24/72hrs TWOV program.

Personally, I found pretty much every other Asian country more interesting than Japan, by the way.
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:52 pm #8

90 mins is probably just about enough time to deal will the transfer. I also believe you must go through immigration as T2 is for domestic flights. From what I remember, the flow would be Airplane -> T3 -> immigration and visa check -> train from T3 to T2 -> Check in at T2.
mrsolution is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 6:16 am #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsolution View Post
90 mins is probably just about enough time to deal will the transfer. I also believe you must go through immigration as T2 is for domestic flights. From what I remember, the flow would be Airplane -> T3 -> immigration and visa check -> train from T3 to T2 -> Check in at T2.
Both T2 and T3 have domestic and international areas.

You cant transfer airside between T2 and T3.

And you dont tak train between T3 to T2.(you could. but its not what you should. and not possible T2 to T3)

You take the free shuttle bus.