Go Back > > >
Old Nov 7, 17, 2:27 pm - Wikipost
Cpi-Web Forums Thread Wiki: Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
Last edit by: mia
Wiki Link
When do my Thank You points expire?
It depends.

It's important to understand that if you have multiple Citi cards ("sponsor accounts") generating points into a single TY account, those pooled points may have different expiration dates based upon the rules of the corresponding sponsor account. Points from some sponsor accounts never expire as long as the sponsor account is open, while others have an expiration date based on the date of earning. (For a comprehensive list of expiration rules, see the TYP T&C.)

To complicate matters further, points-earning activity from a sponsor account will often extend the validity of older points from that same sponsor account.
What happens when I cancel a credit card from which I have earned TY points?
Points previously earned from that sponsor account will expire after 60 days.
What are the rules for sharing points from my account to another TY account?
If you share points with (that is, make an internal TY transfer to) another TY account, those points will expire 90 days after the transfer. Note that
  • this is true regardless of whether you share to another TY user or to another TY account you hold (if you have multiple TY accounts);
  • you may not share points that are expiring in less than 90 days; and
  • you may not share more than 100K points (or receive more than 100K shared TY points) in any calendar year.
For details, see ThankYou Point Sharing capped at 100,000 points per calendar year
When I redeem points (for travel, gift cards, etc.), which ones does Citi use up first?
Citi will use the points with the soonest expiration date, which may or may not be points from a canceled sponsor account.
How can I see my expiring points?
Follow these steps:
  1. Log into your Thank You account (either directly or via citicards.com)
  2. From the My Account menu (top right of screen), select either "My Account Overview" or "My Points Summary"
  3. Look for a statement near the top of the screen such as "You do not have any points expiring within the next 60 days or less"
  4. Select "View all expiring points"
  5. Alternate: If logged in, you should be able to see the list at:https://thankyou.com/accountStatementExpiry.jspx
Note: The totals displayed will not include points expiring within 60 days as a result of closing a sponsor account. SOURCE
Print Wikipost

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 9, 12, 3:36 pm #1
Original Poster

Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 276
Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations

I have a question regarding Citi TYP expiration, and I trust board experts more than a Citi rep. I have a Citi Premiere card for which I earned 55,000 points this year with the 50,000-point intro promo. The annual fee is due in November. If I signed up for a Citi checking account to earn TYPs, and the points posted in time, could I cancel the credit card before the annual fee is due in November and retain the 55,000 points? Or would they be lost if I canceled the card and didn't burn the points first?

I'd like cancel the card and hang onto the TYPs if I can.
I can see for miles is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 12, 4:01 pm #2

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: LAX
Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Posts: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by I can see for miles View Post
I have a question regarding Citi TYP expiration, and I trust board experts more than a Citi rep. I have a Citi Premiere card for which I earned 55,000 points this year with the 50,000-point intro promo. The annual fee is due in November. If I signed up for a Citi checking account to earn TYPs, and the points posted in time, could I cancel the credit card before the annual fee is due in November and retain the 55,000 points? Or would they be lost if I canceled the card and didn't burn the points first?

I'd like cancel the card and hang onto the TYPs if I can.
I'm pretty sure after the account is canceled, you have 60 days to use the points.
roki is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 12, 10:39 pm #3
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 24,285
without the checking account you have 30 days to use up the TYPs after cancelling the Premier card.

with the checking account you have 60 days to do so.

so getting a checking account buy you an additional 30 days to hang on your TYPs.
Happy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 12, 10:46 pm #4

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SEA
Posts: 2,115
Citi ThankYou points - cancel, downgrade & expiration considerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia View Post
Points can be transferred from one ThankYou account to another which would make it easier to transfer to an airline...
Note, from the T&C: "You may transfer some or all of your available qualifying ThankYou Points as a gift to another ThankYou Member...Transferred Points received expire 90 days from the date they are received."
muji is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 12, 11:13 pm #5

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,358
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by muji View Post
Note, from the T&C: "You may transfer some or all of your available qualifying ThankYou Points as a gift to another ThankYou Member...Transferred Points received expire 90 days from the date they are received."
Whoa! I did not see the 90 day thing. That's not good! I transferred all of my wife's points to my account. Has to have been more than 90 days ago though I think. Need to check on that!
glocklt4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 12, 10:40 am #6

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,358
@#$%, i got bitten by those terms, lost 30k points, ugh. Emailing them immediately about this.
glocklt4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 12, 10:58 am #7

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SEA
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocklt4 View Post
@#$%, i got bitten by those terms, lost 30k points, ugh. Emailing them immediately about this.
Hope things work out for you. It is not surprising that people might be unaware of this stipulation - since normally, in other airline and hotel programs that I am aware of, transferring points or miles to another's account does not have such an expiration clause. It seems that in the process of transferring points online they should make this expiration matter very transparent and clear, perhaps by having the customer check/tick a box which states that they are aware that the points will expire in 90 days.
muji is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 12, 10:59 am #8

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
Posts: 279
Expiry of X-fered points

Quote:
Originally Posted by muji View Post
Transferred Points received expire 90 days from the date they are received."
Muji - Thanks for pointing this out! Citi's being quite sneaky. They advertise Points Transfer - but don't mention the expiry bit at all. I thought this was a great feature. but couldn't find the catch!

Now I've gotto find a good use for those points...
gya007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 12, 11:01 am #9

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: One Mile Ahead of the Posse
Programs: TCC=162, MTP=284, WHS=113, UN=105
Posts: 4,716
Bite your tongue! Incompetently run organizations create opportunities for assistance in the relocation of frequent flyer miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brooklyn View Post
That would be nice. It certainly strikes me as odd that the software was set up and is accessible to the CSRs but the program has been cancelled. If Citibank were a competently run organization (note my use of the conditional), access to those screens would be shut down once the transfer plans were cancelled.
AlohaDaveKennedy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 12, 11:17 am #10

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario, California
Programs: PC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt plat,...
Posts: 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by gya007 View Post
Muji - Thanks for pointing this out! Citi's being quite sneaky. They advertise Points Transfer - but don't mention the expiry bit at all. I thought this was a great feature. but couldn't find the catch!

Now I've gotto find a good use for those points...
What do you mean.
It clearly says
Start sharing your ThankYou Points today. All you need to begin is:

The recipient's full name
The recipient's ThankYou Member Account Number or corresponding Credit Card or Checking Account Number*
The number of points you want to transfer**
You will also need to agree to the terms and conditions.


*Citi« ThankYou Points can only be transferred to another ThankYou Member Account.
**Once points are transferred, recipients will have 90 days to [redeem them before they expire.

It is on the same page as when you transfer.It is right in the terms and conditions. Plus when I called to have someone do it they always made sure I knew about the expiry date.
FOX85 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 12, 11:46 am #11

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: San Jose, CA
Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
Posts: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX85 View Post
**Once points are transferred, recipients will have 90 days to [redeem them before they expire.
Its in these footnotes for a reason - and THAT's exactly my point. Footnotes are meant to be read only by the careful folks...

Also, they've got small ads on thankyou.com, that only talk to about points transfer with ZERO mention of expiry.

Anyway, this expiry is new on transferred points. E.g. :SPG doesn't have this nonsense
gya007 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 12, 12:09 pm #12

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by muji View Post
Hope things work out for you. It is not surprising that people might be unaware of this stipulation - since normally, in other airline and hotel programs that I am aware of, transferring points or miles to another's account does not have such an expiration clause. It seems that in the process of transferring points online they should make this expiration matter very transparent and clear, perhaps by having the customer check/tick a box which states that they are aware that the points will expire in 90 days.
I ended up calling them and acted like I was unaware of the expiration date. He said that the miles expired FRIDAY (july 6th). He said that he talked to someone in the credit card department to see if they can be reinstated and I will hear back in a few days. He did say that when people call over the phone to transfer miles, they make it very clear that they expire in 90 days. I said that I did the transfer online and did not see any such expiration date. He went back and checked and confirmed the 90 days listed in the terms, I said that now I see it too. I recommended that they put that stipulation right on the main transfer page since it's that big of a deal, but we'll see if that feedback makes it up the chain or not.

I will report back if they decide to reinstate my points. Hopefully so since it is only 36 hours past the expiration date!
glocklt4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 12, 12:15 pm #13

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA 1MM Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Posts: 1,358
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX85 View Post
What do you mean.
It clearly says
Start sharing your ThankYou Points today. All you need to begin is:

The recipient's full name
The recipient's ThankYou Member Account Number or corresponding Credit Card or Checking Account Number*
The number of points you want to transfer**
You will also need to agree to the terms and conditions.


*Citi« ThankYou Points can only be transferred to another ThankYou Member Account.
**Once points are transferred, recipients will have 90 days to [redeem them before they expire.

It is on the same page as when you transfer.It is right in the terms and conditions. Plus when I called to have someone do it they always made sure I knew about the expiry date.
...., now I see it... ugh.
glocklt4 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 12, 12:20 pm #14

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SEA
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocklt4 View Post
I recommended that they put that stipulation right on the main transfer page since it's that big of a deal, but we'll see if that feedback makes it up the chain or not.
If they want their customers to be aware of the rules, and want to keep their customers happy, they should take your recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocklt4 View Post
I will report back if they decide to reinstate my points. Hopefully so since it is only 36 hours past the expiration date!
I would think you'd get your points back, but maybe they'll then want you to use them within a few days. Just my speculation.
muji is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 12, 2:30 pm #15
mia
Cpi-Web Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; VS, HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 32,394
Go to this page and click the orange Terms & Conditions link to read the additional rules:

https://thankyou.com/transferPoints.jspx#

In particular:

1. Points earned through banking cannot be transferred.

2. Points already within 90 days of expiration cannot be transferred.
mia is offline Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
- FlyerTalk - Archive - Top