Go Back > > >
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 6, 17, 3:23 pm #16

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: SAN
Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, MR Gold
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylane View Post
I thought terminals here weren't setup to be able to do pin transactions?
Most retail stores with customer facing terminals handle PIN just fine. The big potential problem is restaurants since most are still taking the card away from the table, but it sounds like many restaurants were able to disable PIN support on their terminals, forcing PIN-preferring cards to fall back to signature.
Hawaiian717 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 5:25 pm #17

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: GE, Marriott Silver
Posts: 8,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717 View Post
Most retail stores with customer facing terminals handle PIN just fine. The big potential problem is restaurants since most are still taking the card away from the table, but it sounds like many restaurants were able to disable PIN support on their terminals, forcing PIN-preferring cards to fall back to signature.
A lot of stores in the US don't bother asking for PIN for small amounts either. It's supposedly against Mastercard's rules but they don't seem to care to enforce that one.
tmiw is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 6:29 pm #18
Original Poster

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiian717 View Post
Most retail stores with customer facing terminals handle PIN just fine. The big potential problem is restaurants since most are still taking the card away from the table, but it sounds like many restaurants were able to disable PIN support on their terminals, forcing PIN-preferring cards to fall back to signature.
Or they manually enter the card information (may it's some kind of backup).
Not sure what CVM would this be
kayanco is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 6:38 pm #19

Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylane View Post
Just got back from a week in France and the Netherlands. My CSP didn't work in the Paris metro the one time I tried it, but I didn't try very hard since there was no line for cash. The Netherlands was worse, many of the stations that I was at didn't have any option besides the machines, and both my CSP as well as two debit cards just got declined with an error message and never an option to enter a PIN.
my CSR worked in paris metro machine (some random stop in zone 1, not a major tourist spot) in september...
kayanco likes this.
paperwastage is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 7:24 am #20

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 324
I have never been asked for a pin overseas and I almost always use self-kiosks.

In Poland, at least, they bring the terminal over to you (no Pole would trust someone walking away with their card)... Only ran into an issue once when a new lady wasn't sure how to do an American card and got chewed out by a power-tripping manager.
aGeist is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 8:22 am #21

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 334
It varies by country...

In Belgium, it works at exactly 0.0% of unattended terminals--rail, metro, gas pump, parking meter or pay station, vending machine, you name it, no PIN = no sale. To add insult to injury, I've seen NMBS (rail) kiosks actually crash when signature-only cards are used. The one exception is parking meters or pay stations that take contactless, in which case Android pay will work as expected.

In the Netherlands, it works occasionally but generally not--the NS kiosks for the OV-chipkaart don't take it, nor do gas pumps. Parking meters usually do. The Dutch situation is further complicated by how common it is for shops to take only debit, in which case there is no American card that will work, but at least there's cash.

In the UK, my Chase (signature only) card worked everywhere I tried, though I haven't bought fuel in the UK.

re: offline vs. online PIN, I have a couple American cards that are online-only (B of A credit plus a credit union debit card), as does nearly every American visitor I've had. So far, no one has found anywhere in Belgium where online-only cards didn't work, including rail and metro kiosks and gas pumps.

EDIT: as for trying 0000 or 9999, the terminal never asks for a PIN--it sees that there's no CVM it likes and simply rejects the card without asking for the PIN, though at least it'll normally do so in English, having pulled the language preference from the chip
Dylane likes this.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Nov 7, 17 at 8:30 am
der_saeufer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 8:54 am #22
mia
Cpi-Web Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA 2MM Perpetual Platinum; VS, HH & SPG Gold
Posts: 32,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
... common it is for shops to take only debit, in which case there is no American card that will work,...
To clarify, you mean that they accept local debit cards, not those affiliated with MasterCard or VISA?
mia is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 10:02 am #23

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia View Post
To clarify, you mean that they accept local debit cards, not those affiliated with MasterCard or VISA?
Yes, sorry. Dutch debit cards are normally Maestro and Belgian debit cards are essentially all Bancontact (a national network) plus Maestro in most cases.

The "real" VISA and MC networks here are credit only--not the case everywhere in Europe, but for B/NL it still is.

I've seen exactly one sort of unattended location that takes only debit--the gas station chain DATS24 that's run by Colruyt in Belgium. There aren't very many of them, and they're never far from a real (i.e. oil company branded) gas station, so it's unlikely to be a major issue to visitors. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a couple random discount gas stations in the Netherlands that are the same way, but again, the oil company branded stations all take VISA and MasterCard.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Nov 8, 17 at 10:08 am
der_saeufer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:24 am #24

Join Date: Jan 2017
Programs: DL, KL, SU
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by der_saeufer View Post
Yes, sorry. Dutch debit cards are normally Maestro and Belgian debit cards are essentially all Bancontact (a national network) plus Maestro in most cases.

The "real" VISA and MC networks here are credit only--not the case everywhere in Europe, but for B/NL it still is.
Interesting. I've got a trip to Amsterdam coming up, and I had a run-in with the machine at Amsterdam Centraal last summer - didn't like my Sapphire Preferred one bit and I had no euro coins on me at all. It did, however, accept my Chase debit card with my PIN no problem. Exchange fee was annoying, but at least I didn't miss my outgoing flight...
eastindywalrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:36 pm #25

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastindywalrus View Post
Interesting. I've got a trip to Amsterdam coming up, and I had a run-in with the machine at Amsterdam Centraal last summer - didn't like my Sapphire Preferred one bit and I had no euro coins on me at all. It did, however, accept my Chase debit card with my PIN no problem. Exchange fee was annoying, but at least I didn't miss my outgoing flight...
NS ticket machines take credit cards and process transactions online. An American debit card will work since they're processed through the credit network.
eastindywalrus likes this.
der_saeufer is offline Reply With Quote
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Thread Tools
Search Thread
Go to Top
Forum Jump
- FlyerTalk - Archive - Top