Go Back > > >
Old Nov 5, 17, 8:02 am #1
Original Poster

Signature-only card at unattended kiosks overseas- Recent experiences?

Hi,

Can people share recent experiences using a US signature-only credit card (e.g. Chase cards) at unattended kiosks overseas?
If it worked, what did you have to do when asked for pin?

In searching the forum (old threads), I read that using 0000 or 9999 can work? Any consensus on this?

Also I read that according to Visa/MC, signature-only cards should work at unmanned kiosks (I've not read this directly from Visa/MC).

So wanted to hear some actual experiences

Thanks.

Last edited by philemer; Nov 5, 17 at 10:09 pm
kayanco is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 17, 8:25 am #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanco View Post
Hi,

Can people share recent experiences using a US signature-only credit card at unattended kiosks overseas?

In searching the forum (old threads), I read that using 0000 or 9999 can work? Any consensus on this?

Also I read that according to Visa/MC, signature-only cards should work at unmanned kiosks (I've not read this directly from Visa/MC).

Thanks.
A signature-only card won't work at an unattended terminal, but Visa/MC rules don't allow signature-only cards. All signature cards must have fallback CVMs - at the least no CVM and usually one or more PIN types.

If you card supports a PIN type, you'll be asked for the PIN. You set the PIN with your issuer, they may call it a cash advance PIN but can also be used for purchases as the fallback PIN.

If it doesn't, it *should* go to no CVM, but not all terminals support no CVM (and not all support online PIN either). Visa rules require no CVM support, but they aren't enforced widely yet.
AllieKat is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 17, 7:28 pm #3
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Quote:
Hi,

Can people share recent experiences using a US signature-only credit card (e.g. Chase cards) at unattended kiosks overseas?

Thanks.
I was at unattended gas station in rural Norway, at night, a couple years ago, and tried a signature-no-PIN (Chase Visa) card, and nothing worked. Not 0000, not 9999, not the cash advance PIN. I then used my Barclay Aviator card, which has both "online" and "offline" PIN, and it worked fine. But I couldn't tell from that experiment whether it used the "online" or the "offline" PIN version.

So whatever you hear about such workarounds, they are not universal (in cases where a "true" chip+PIN card would work).
sdsearch is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 17, 9:34 pm #4

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, MR Gold
Madrid and Warsaw metro kiosks worked with Capital One cards and correctly processed as No CVM. No PIN was asked for.
Hawaiian717 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 17, 10:27 pm #5

Had no trouble with my Capital One card in Paris (Magenta SNCF station) in July buying two tickets "t" at an automated kiosk; I assume it was processed No CVM since it didn't ask me for a PIN.
lordsutch is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 8:19 am #6

I had zero luck last month in Italy using my Citi Prestige at unmanned parking garages and gas stations. I ended up using my Barclay card without any issues.
TTT103 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 8:25 am #7

It is not consistent. Some kiosks fall back to no CVM and transactions go through without PIN prompt. Some kiosks still prompt for PIN then you are sol.
TerryK is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 1:16 pm #8

Programs: Miles & More, AF/KLM Flying Blue, Finnair Plus
It will be hit-or-miss.

I bought TGV tickets at Gare Montparnasse at the self-service kiosk with my US-issued Amex and it worked fine. But I would still consider that the exception, not the rule, as I've also had experiences where they are declined.
mlin32 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 2:06 pm #9

Programs: GE, Marriott Silver
I feel like this should probably be merged with the EMV thread.

Anyway, I used Apple Pay almost everywhere on my recent UK trip (including one ticket machine at London Euston), avoiding that possible issue entirely. Ticket pickup at GWR ticket machines at Paddington also wasn't a problem, but the magnetic stripe was likely used for that and not the chip. Of course, contactless very well may not always be an option elsewhere in Europe* and having something like the Arrival+ may still be a good idea.

* For now, at least. Contactless support on European terminals is supposed to be mandatory in a few years--but considering that cards without PIN apparently still have issues despite the current Visa/MC rules, I'm not so sure this "mandate" will work out much better.
tmiw is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 2:33 pm #10

Just got back from a week in France and the Netherlands. My CSP didn't work in the Paris metro the one time I tried it, but I didn't try very hard since there was no line for cash. The Netherlands was worse, many of the stations that I was at didn't have any option besides the machines, and both my CSP as well as two debit cards just got declined with an error message and never an option to enter a PIN.

Going back in a month, and determined to get a card before then that I know will work at any kiosk in the Netherlands (and preferably other countries as well). Is there any consensus on what cards available in the U.S. will be guaranteed to work? There's just too many times I need to buy metro tickets in the early morning or late evening where the kiosk is the only option. Really want to avoid my recent experience of having to walk a few km to the central station in the rain, with luggage, just because I can't figure out how to get the machines to take my money.
Dylane is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 2:45 pm #11

Was just in the Netherlands at end of September. My Barclays AAviator Red MC worked in unattended kiosks.

Did buy OV Chipkaart at counter in Amsterdam Schipol but did reloads at kiosks using the card and PIN. Also used this card at tolls on highways in France, but cannot remember if had to enter PIN or not.

2 years ago used this card at unattended London Tube kiosks, too.
Dylane likes this.
themice is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 2:52 pm #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylane View Post
.....Is there any consensus on what cards available in the U.S. will be guaranteed to work?......
Any card with offline PIN should work. That's most cards issued by Barclays and CUs but there are others.

USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN or Signature) [2017]
Dylane likes this.
TerryK is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 3:02 pm #13
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylane View Post
Just got back from a week in France and the Netherlands. My CSP didn't work in the Paris metro the one time I tried it, but I didn't try very hard since there was no line for cash. The Netherlands was worse, many of the stations that I was at didn't have any option besides the machines, and both my CSP as well as two debit cards just got declined with an error message and never an option to enter a PIN.

Going back in a month, and determined to get a card before then that I know will work at any kiosk in the Netherlands (and preferably other countries as well). Is there any consensus on what cards available in the U.S. will be guaranteed to work? There's just too many times I need to buy metro tickets in the early morning or late evening where the kiosk is the only option. Really want to avoid my recent experience of having to walk a few km to the central station in the rain, with luggage, just because I can't figure out how to get the machines to take my money.
I think First Tech and SDFCU (State Department FCU) would be safest options since they are pin priority. First Tech asks for pin even in the US.

https://spotterswiki.com/emv if you want to search the database.
kayanco is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 3:10 pm #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by themice View Post
Was just in the Netherlands at end of September. My Barclays AAviator Red MC worked in unattended kiosks.

Did buy OV Chipkaart at counter in Amsterdam Schipol but did reloads at kiosks using the card and PIN. Also used this card at tolls on highways in France, but cannot remember if had to enter PIN or not.

2 years ago used this card at unattended London Tube kiosks, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryK View Post
Any card with offline PIN should work. That's most cards issued by Barclays and CUs but there are others.

USA EMV cards: Availability, Q&A (Chip & PIN or Signature) [2017]
Thank you both. That's exactly the info I wanted. I bought an OV ChipKaart on my way out of town yesterday, but want to make sure I'm not stuck when trying to reload.
Old Nov 6, 17, 3:14 pm #15

Quote:
I think First Tech and SDFCU (State Department FCU) would be safest options since they are pin priority. First Tech asks for pin even in the US.

https://spotterswiki.com/emv if you want to search the database.
I thought terminals here weren't setup to be able to do pin transactions?