Go Back Cpi-Web Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page > Suit Bags on Domestic Delta Flight OK in Economy?

Suit Bags on Domestic Delta Flight OK in Economy?

Old Jan 3, 13, 4:42 pm

Suit Bags on Domestic Delta Flight OK in Economy?

I have a flight in 2 weeks from GRR to SAN and have to make a connection in MSP and LAX. Two of the three flights are on mainline planes and the 3rd a regional. Flying in Economy, how feasible is it to take my suite bag onboard and ask a Flight Attendant to hang it up for me? I have no Delta Status either...

Also...is this considered a carry on, or is there additional cost?

Thanks....

AB
Old Jan 3, 13, 6:33 pm

Programs: Fly Delta Jets
If it is the zip bag cover you get at a Department Store, I've seen success with smiling and asking nicely.

I've also seen people fold it in laps during take off and then hang it from the seat in front... that may raise some etiquette questions
Old Jan 3, 13, 6:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA EXP, National EE
Originally Posted by AntsBELOW View Post
I have a flight in 2 weeks from GRR to SAN and have to make a connection in MSP and LAX. Two of the three flights are on mainline planes and the 3rd a regional. Flying in Economy, how feasible is it to take my suite bag onboard and ask a Flight Attendant to hang it up for me? I have no Delta Status either...

Thanks....

AB
It's a carry-on.

I've seen mixed results as far as FAs stowing bags in the FC closet for non-FC passengers, and will likely be determined by how nice the FA is, and how many FC pax have heavy coats and/or extra suit bags.

I think there are still some aircraft out there without closets on them... and in a CRJ overhead bin your suit is going to get mighty wrinkled.
Old Jan 3, 13, 8:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
A little pricey, and a little OT, but if you travel with suits, I suggest the Skyroll. I can feasably fit 2 dress shirts, a few ties and a 2 suits in the bag. And the best part is, unlike every other freaking garment suitcase that takes up the room of two bags in the overhead bin, this actually slides easily into the overhead and takes up much less room.
Old Jan 4, 13, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum, former AA GLD/AAirpass
Originally Posted by AntsBELOW View Post
Including your garment bag, will you be traveling with two or three carry-on items? If only two, you'll certainly be fine. If three, you will probably be fine but no guarantees.

I've traveled in Y with a garment bag as a third carry-on item many times over the past several years and have only once encountered any difficulty. On that occasion, it wasn't a GA or FA but rather airport staff at security who wouldn't let me through until I consolidated my items to 2 bags.

In my view, garment bags fall in a gray area between carry-ons and "additional approved items" (see https://delta.com/content/www/en.../carry-on.html) since they are normally hung in the closet and don't take up space in overhead bins.

Regarding cost, in the worst case scenario, you would need to pay extra if you must check the garment bag (or another of your carry-on items) before security. Barring that unlikely outcome, you might need to temporarily consolidate your items into two bags or gate check a bag for free.

Search this Thread