Go Back > > >
Old Nov 6, 17, 12:34 pm #1
Used to be FlyingMedallionDL
Original Poster

Location: Manhattan, Upper East Side, New York, NY & Los Angeles, CA
Programs: DL PM, Delta Reserve
Flying China Southern JFK-CAN-MNL - Elite Plus Benefits on Preferred Seating and Bags

Hi folks,
This will be my first time flying CZ. I am flying JFK-CAN in December then to MNL. I was told that as a Skyteam Elite plus member, I cannot choose seats toward the front of the cabin. They gave me seats in the 50s, albeit some nice aisle seats. They told me I had to pay $90 to get the seat with extra legroom. I would like to snag that extra legroom seat especially on the long JFK-CAN flight. Has anyone had success as a DL PM (ST elite) with obtaining the CZ economy preferred seats? The agent in China said to wait until check-in at the airport but I have a feeling they will be all gone by then. sky team eite plus members can get access to these seats, right? It sounded like they weren't sure. They also said I can check in one extra luggage. Has anyone checked 3 pieces without getting dinged with a charge as a STE+ member?

Also, which lounge at JFK, CAN.m and at MNL should I use? Is it the normal DL SC, as Iíve read or is there an alternate one for CZ? Is CAN easy to transit through? Do you think I should get a Chinese visa in case something happens and they need me to stay for a day? I saw horror stories on FT about not having visas when IRROPs occur.
Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
flyingdoc747 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 12:44 pm #2
Cpi-Web Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Visa is not needed, even if you have IRROPS. US passport holders can enter visa free for 72/144hrs depending on port of entry. Must fly to different country than came in from is only requirement.

CZ uses Wingtips lounge. Skip it and goto DL SC.
flyerCO is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 2:31 pm #3
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Visa is not needed, even if you have IRROPS. US passport holders can enter visa free for 72/144hrs depending on port of entry. Must fly to different country than came in from is only requirement.

CZ uses Wingtips lounge. Skip it and goto DL SC.
Thanks, flyerCO! you've always helped me for years! Great to hear from you again!
Also, what should I do with the preferred seating? The agents in China say it they are available, but their "system" won't allow me to sit there. They placed me in the back rows (namely row 53). Is there a way to work around this as a Platinum/STE +?
Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 17, 2:35 pm #4
Cpi-Web Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdoc747 View Post
Thanks, flyerCO! you've always helped me for years! Great to hear from you again!
Also, what should I do with the preferred seating? The agents in China say it they are available, but their "system" won't allow me to sit there. They placed me in the back rows (namely row 53). Is there a way to work around this as a Platinum/STE +?
Thanks!
Can't help on the seating issue. Have you tried calling CZ in the US? I know some airlines ypu get better service calling the US line instead of home country. (Qatar is perfect example, call the US line even if ticket has nothing to do with US)
Old Nov 6, 17, 10:35 pm #5
Original Poster

Hey flyerCO, I was able to get the preferred seating! It took a while as they wanted to send me a copy of my passport to verify it is me. I saved on the fees for preferred seating. They somehow were able to waive the fees after they got a copy of my passport and added my DL PM number in.
they told though that they need my travel agent to add the passport info ahead of time before I check in at the airport. My travel agent said that they already did so, but CZ says it is still not in the record. CZ says they cannot add itóonly the booking travel agent can. Since I have a third party travel agent who sears they already added it, what should I do at this point? Canít they just wait until check in at the counter? Do they really need for me to put my passport info in my reservation before I check in at the airport?
Thanks!
Old Nov 6, 17, 11:12 pm #6
Cpi-Web Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

They don't have to have it. However their system is setup to ask for it. There's no issue waiting to checkin to add it.
Old Nov 7, 17, 1:16 am #7

Programs: WN CP, DL PLT, Hyatt DD, PC PLT, GC PLT, Hertz PC
ST Gold Elite status does not get you preferred class seats on CZ, MU, or MF... This is like your Delta status get you upgrade to First, it's a benefit of DL and not whatever ST partner airlines'. Plus, they define ST Preferred Seat as aisle seat. The bulkhead row is consider quasi-premium seat, reserved only for their own elite customers.
wlau is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 1:27 am #8
Cpi-Web Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlau View Post
ST Gold Elite status does not get you preferred class seats on CZ, MU, or MF... This is like your Delta status get you upgrade to First, it's a benefit of DL and not whatever ST partner airlines'. Plus, they define ST Preferred Seat as aisle seat. The bulkhead row is consider quasi-premium seat, reserved only for their own elite customers.
OP got it if you read their last post. Also prefered seat is supposed to be a ST E+ benefit across airlines. F upgrades are a DL provided benefit, unlike seating which is a ST provided benefit.
Old Nov 7, 17, 6:19 am #9
Original Poster

Quote:
OP got it if you read their last post. Also prefered seat is supposed to be a ST E+ benefit across airlines. F upgrades are a DL provided benefit, unlike seating which is a ST provided benefit.
Thank you so much, flyerCO! You are so knowledgeable with Delta and all the partners! I feel so relieved that the passport information won't be much of an issue. I really appreciate all your input and advice all these years. i'll let you know how it all pans out. Apparently, I will only be 4,000 miles short of Platinum for next year since my U fare on CZ will only accumulate 50% of MQMs.
By the way, how's the lounge in CAN? Any advice on which lounge to use there? Thanks a mil!
Old Nov 7, 17, 6:28 am #10
Cpi-Web Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

The CZ lounges at CAN are decent. Showers, hot food buffet, PC workstations, etc. Much better than any other Mainland Chinese carrier lounge.
Old Nov 7, 17, 8:51 am #11
Original Poster

Quote:
The CZ lounges at CAN are decent. Showers, hot food buffet, PC workstations, etc. Much better than any other Mainland Chinese carrier lounge.
Perfect! You are the best!
I am checking in 3 bags and I was reassured by the agents in China that this is Ok for STE+ passengers. Wish me luck!
Old Nov 7, 17, 9:02 am #12

Programs: DL DM, BW DE (lifetime), SPG GPG, Marriott GE, National Emerald Executive
Quote:
The issue is that usually DL doesn't pass on the DL FF # to other airlines for bookings (to KE, DL never ever does so, for example). So, the other airline has no idea that you are ST E+. Simply need to go to their site and add it, if possible, or otherwise call them and add it. When the OP did so here and had CZ add their DL SM # (which until then likely wasn't on the res with CZ), then the ST E+ seat selection was available (adding the passport info is immaterial, so not sure why was a big deal made of that).
RealHJ is online now Reply With Quote