Go Back Cpi-Web Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Delta SkyMiles (Pre-WorldPerks Merger)
Reload this Page > What the heck are "available preferred" seats at Delta.com?

What the heck are "available preferred" seats at Delta.com?

Old Nov 7, 02, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
What the heck are "available preferred" seats at Delta.com?

I'm doing some true seat planning and miles scheming at Delta.com today (the readership would be proud!), and I notice two colors on the seating charts.. blue is for regular available coach sets and orange is "Available preferred". What is available preferred? are they available and preferred by customers? I'm not sure I understand this nomenclature..

Thanks..

Steve
Old Nov 7, 02, 6:04 pm

Exit row seats, and forward rows are most often yellow, or 'preferred'. They are available for selection online only by medallion members (and possibly fully 'Y' ticket purchasers, as I've seen at least once).

If you see yellow seats, then they are available for you to select. To test this, go ahead and log out of delta.com and then do a fare search for the same dates and times. You'll notice that the seats that were yellow are now grey, or unavailable for selection.
Old Nov 7, 02, 6:56 pm

Preferred Seats are available to Medallion Members and those travelling on a 'Y' or 'B' fare. What's left of the preferred seats become available with online check-in and airport check-in for all passengers. This is my understanding of it.
Old Nov 7, 02, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
Doesn't this create a possibility that Delta would lose money on these seats? If they held them back for medallions only, then presumably others can't book them - at least until DL turns them from "orange" seats into "blue" seats.

Unless a flood of medallions suddenly booked on my ATL-TPA flight, then presumably those seats would be released at some point for regular non-medallions to book into??

Steve
Old Nov 7, 02, 9:24 pm
PMD

Programs: DL GM, UA PE, National EE, Priority Club Plat, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
It doesn't effect the sales of seats, just seat assigment.
Old Nov 8, 02, 5:21 am

Holding those seats doesn't effect availability. There are pleanty of times when you can buy a L/U/T fare when there are no "blue" seats to assign. At this point a seat is usually assigned at the airport.
Old Nov 8, 02, 7:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriot Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Heckler,

On the day of check-in, those seats could become available and you could switch to them at the gate if available I strongly believe.
Old Nov 8, 02, 9:14 am

I think it's also possible to get those seats by phone. I've seen the following happen: if you were not medallion and you booked a flight late and wanted seats together for a family, you can get into the preferred section by calling and requesting that they seat your family together. If other seats are still available, that probably wouldn't work.
Old Nov 11, 02, 12:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Delta DM & MM, Hertz President's Circle, Hyatt Platinum
Those seats are can be over-ridden by someone with access to the res system. Although they're not really supposed to, they can if the need exists.
Old Nov 11, 02, 3:00 pm

Programs: DL DM, former NW PE
And of course, when gate agents are assigning seats, they fill in the middle seats from the front of the plane, negating the "preferred" aspect.

Sure, you get off the plane first, but I would rather have an empty middle seat that is instead in row 30.

Search this Thread