Go Back Cpi-Web Forums > Travel&Dining > DiningBuzz
Reload this Page > Costco Prepaid Cards -

Costco Prepaid Cards -

Old Nov 15, 12, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Costco Prepaid Cards -

like the Macaroni Grill, or chain restaurants. Is it worth it, as I'll be going to FLL and if say at my b&M costco, it's like $50 for the price of $30....is it worth it? Discuss............tia!!
Old Nov 15, 12, 10:17 am
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Originally Posted by Meapya View Post
like the Macaroni Grill, or chain restaurants. Is it worth it, as I'll be going to FLL and if say at my b&M costco, it's like $50 for the price of $30....is it worth it? Discuss............tia!!
can you translate that for the older generation? what's a macroni grill> where is a B&M costco? is a $50 card cost 30? where does one use it, and how does one pay for it and where does one get it?what does it do for me?
Old Nov 15, 12, 10:21 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, UA Silver
I buy them all the time. Lucille BBQ, California Pizza Kitchen, etc.. they are all 2 x $50 gift cards for $80. So it is like 20% off. My wife also get the Spa Finder gift cards. The place where she gets her nails done accepts Spa Finder.

In California, gift cards do not expire. I know think it is the same for other states though. So you probably want to check. Also right now, you can Sync your Amex card to Facebook and get $25 back from $100 order at Costco.com. For $75, you can buy a $100 Costco gift card. If you use that to buy the restaurant gift cards, it is almost like spending $55 to get $100 worth of food at that restaurant.
Old Nov 15, 12, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slawecki View Post
can you translate that for the older generation? what's a macroni grill> where is a B&M costco? is a $50 card cost 30? where does one use it, and how does one pay for it and where does one get it?what does it do for me?
Basically in 1 section of my local costco brooks and mortar store, there is a stand with alooot of cards, discounted $15-20. other discounts i've seen are like red hot and blue $50 gift cards can be purchased for $35. another example would be macaroni grille gift cards can be purchased - $50 for like $35. the savings can add up.

was wonderng if anyone has actually used the cards purchased at costco at their fav restaurant. that's all.
Old Nov 15, 12, 10:31 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by slawecki View Post
Macaroni Grill is a chain Italian restaurant. Their tiramisu is amazing!
http://macaronigrill.com/locations-list

B&M = Brick and Mortar (real physical store)

He is saying that you could buy restaurant gift cards at Costco for a discount. At the Costco's around me, they are two $50 gift cards for $80. They are usually for nation wide chain restaurants like Lucille BBQ, Olive Garden, California Pizza Kitchen, etc... I have not seen any $50 gift card for $30. That sounds like a great deal.
Old Nov 15, 12, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Plat, HH Gold, Former CO Presidential Plat (for a day!)
I used to buy their McCormick and Schmick's cards (it included a recipe book too).
Though my favorite buy was the 24hour fitness 2 year membership.
Old Nov 15, 12, 10:47 am
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Location: Location: Hyatt "Giggity-Giggity", UA Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by Need View Post
Macaroni Grill is a chain Italian restaurant. Their tiramisu is amazing!
http://macaronigrill.com/locations-list

B&M = Brick and Mortar (real physical store)

He is saying that you could buy restaurant gift cards at Costco for a discount. At the Costco's around me, they are two $50 gift cards for $80. They are usually for nation wide chain restaurants like Lucille BBQ, Olive Garden, California Pizza Kitchen, etc... I have not seen any $50 gift card for $30. That sounds like a great deal.
I've never seen Olive Garden ones. I'd buy those in a second.

I buy the See's certs. And bought large quantities of the Hyatt certs when they had them.
Old Nov 15, 12, 10:55 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If you eat in those restaurants, and spend the money there, yes it's worth it.

You get $50 of food and drink for $35, it's like an instant $15 off your bill.

Would I buy a card to a restaurant I don't usually go just to save the money? No, to me that would be a waste of money, I'm not going to go out and eat someplace I would not normally go just to save money.

Please note - The above is just an example, and not meant to say that at this point in time there are any cards available in any of the stores for that price. Pricing is quite fluid, and while there are often deals of 30, 35, or 40% off, there are times there are not.

It's imperative that each person does the math and check that the deal they are getting is worth it for them. It's senseless to buy a $100 gift card on e-bay for $120, but people do it.

I apologize for any confusion I caused by using 50 and 35 as an example.

Last edited by cordelli; Nov 19, 12 at 6:41 pm
Old Nov 15, 12, 2:10 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Silver, Ritz-Carlton Rewards. National Car Executive
[QUOTE=Jaimito Cartero;19688503]I've never seen Olive Garden ones. I'd buy those in a second.

+1
Old Nov 15, 12, 3:20 pm
Senior Moderator/Moderator: United MileagePlus

Programs: UA 1K/2MM; SPG Lifetime Plat (and now MR Plat); HH Gold; HY whatever-ist; Nat'l Executive.
As most of the discussion concerns Costco discount cards for dining, please follow the thread as it moves to the DiningBuzz forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Nov 15, 12, 3:34 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Some are available online for those who don't want to go to the store
http://costco.com/restaurant-gift-cards.html

Of if you prefer BJ's
http://bjs.com/CARDS+GIFT/refine...-out.2004984.1.

Or Sam's Club
http://samsclub.com/sams/food-gi...navAction=push
Old Nov 15, 12, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
I'm fairly certain that those cards, much like the ones you see at the "gift mall" at your grocery store are all from a company call Blackhawk. They distribute the gift cards at stores all over the country. The cards never expire, not just in California and all are no additional cost above face value except the Amex, Visa and Mastercard logod ones that have an activation fee.
Old Nov 15, 12, 8:40 pm

I buy Einstein Bagels gift cards at Costco, and it is nice to save a bit.

But, I wouldn't buy cards for some place I normally don't visit . . .
Old Nov 16, 12, 10:25 am

Programs: Dirt Status w/ All
I don't buy them at Costco simply because they don't carry cards for anything I would really use. I do buy tons of gift cards at Kroger, because I get 6% cash back on my Amex blue plus they give out gas points. Gas points are double on gift cards (2 points per dollar) and 2000 points gets you $2 off up to 35 gallons of gas. It basically becomes 13% back ($70 in gas and $60 from Amex for $1000 spend). Next weeks promotion is 4X points, so it becomes 20% ($70 in gas and $30 from Amex on $500 spend). Just in time for a big flooring purchase at Home Depot.

I actually have a gift card wallet now that I am playing this game. Currently working with Lowes, Home Depot, Subway, McDonalds, and Dunkin Donuts. I'm going to spend the money anyway, might as well get the cash back/points. It is a bit of a hassle, but less than mileage runs.
Old Nov 16, 12, 10:31 am
Original Poster

moderator, ty for moving this as needed.

not only for restaurants, but for like movies, bowling, and yes even skiing at park city ski resort in slc!

any others care to chime in?

Search this Thread