Go Back > >
Old Jul 19, 17, 12:44 am #241
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM Hyatt: Globalist
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthbimmer View Post
Technically, "processed cheese food product".

Anything that requires 3 modifiers in its title is suspiciously distant from being real cheese. Or food.
Somehow it's tasty on a burger, however.
ILuvParis is online now Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 17, 9:22 am #242

Programs: AA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvParis View Post
And of course, a grilled cheese sandwich.
cubbie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 17, 9:44 am #243

Programs: AC*SE100K (MM); *G; Marriott Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvParis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbie View Post
And of course, a grilled cheese sandwich.
Yuck.
j_the_p is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 17, 9:57 am #244
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: AA 1MM, UA MM, Costco General Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_the_p View Post
Yuck.
A grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup are a real comfort food for me. Likewise cheeseburgers although it doesn't have to be processed cheese. There was a place when I was in grad school in Ann Arbor named Blimpy Burger that had great burgers with blue cheese and other cheese types that was fantastic. A real institution in Ann Arbor for many years.
GadgetFreak is offline Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 17, 10:02 am #245
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM Hyatt: Globalist
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
A grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup are a real comfort food for me. Likewise cheeseburgers although it doesn't have to be processed cheese. There was a place when I was in grad school in Ann Arbor named Blimpy Burger that had great burgers with blue cheese and other cheese types that was fantastic. A real institution in Ann Arbor for many years.
I'll take cheddar every time over American, except on a burger. Just seems to go. (Although my burger with mozzarella, avocado and chipotle mayo was awfully good yesterday.)
ILuvParis is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 17, 2:23 pm #246
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornebufox View Post
Ah yes, duck tongues--ordered it in a Szechuan restaurant once. Won't make that mistake again. Not horrible: the preparation was tasty but the texture was annoying. I guess I'd nibble politely if I had to, but I'm just not into gristle. Chicken feet probably fall into the same category.
Saw some deboned chicken feet at an Asian market the other day, which I'd be willing to try. I liked the taste of the ones I had at a couple of restaurants, but too much effort for too little food given the bones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exerda View Post
Cow or pig brains.
Had lamb brains at Funky Gourmet in Athens a few weeks back. Delicious.

Still not big on cow brains... BSE just creeps me out. (Scrapie in sheep hasn't, until very recently, been thought transmissible to humans. And we're talking lambs vs. adult sheep.)
exerda is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 17, 10:33 am #247
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Not again: hot pot, dinuguan, balut, an Artichoke (NYC pizzeria) slice, Origus, almost everything Hakka...
BuildingMyBento is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 17, 10:11 pm #248

Mayonnaise...I hate that smell

and also durian...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 6, 17 at 2:52 pm Reason: merge
Mingyuw is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 12:34 pm #249

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, AS Mileage Plan, SPG Gold
For me it's papaya. To me, the papaya smell is totally vile, and the disgusting taste has been known to make me gag. A long time ago, my mom used to eat it occasionally and force me to eat a little when I was like 6 years old. It's never gone near my mouth again.
stevechin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 12:08 am #250

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Million Mile Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevechin View Post
For me it's papaya. To me, the papaya smell is totally vile, and the disgusting taste has been known to make me gag. A long time ago, my mom used to eat it occasionally and force me to eat a little when I was like 6 years old. It's never gone near my mouth again.
I find it pretty nasty when ripe, but when green, papaya salad, aka som tam is delicious.
braslvr is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 1:17 am #251
2017 FT Secret Santa

Programs: UA, DL, B6, AA, 2V
It's probably because it smells like vomit.
diburning is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 3:17 am #252
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I never used to get papaya - it just tasted bland and slightly off to me. Of course, the papayas I had had sat in atmosphere-controlled containers for ages.

Then I went to Sri Lanka. The difference was amazing. We were served them at breakfast pretty much everywhere we went (great after a black fish curry), with a little slice of fresh lime. They were like a rich, buttery, figgy melon - you really needed that lime to cut through them. Wonderful.

Wouldn't touch the imports, though.
stut is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 11:18 pm #253
2017 FT Secret Santa

Programs: UA, DL, B6, AA, 2V
Of course. Imported papaya is picked before they're fully ripe, so they're hard when they're picked. Otherwise, they wouldn't survive being transported. Here in the US, we grow plenty of papaya domestically, and even then, they're picked before they're ripe for storage and transport, so it's nearly impossible to get quality papaya here!

The same applies for berries and most other fruits. Oranges and bananas are the only fruits that seem to be immune to this process.
diburning is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 5:46 am #254
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The containerisation process has improved with technology - temperature and pressure controlled containers, together with inert gases, allow certain fruits to have their ripening effectively put on hold during transport, so they can spend much longer on the plant. The downside is that their shelf life tends to be reduced on arrival (vs air freighted).

Papaya appears not to be one of these, from personal observation

Not that I'm bothered, there's some first-rate in-season melon about at the moment - why would I buy second-rate imported papaya?
stut is offline Reply With Quote