Go Back > > >
Old Yesterday, 5:09 pm #31
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis View Post
Who said anything about someone doing that? Not me. I specifically wrote about a US citizen entering the USA on a US passport.

It seems like sometimes some people are more interested in trying to split hairs or come up with a scenario no one has talked about, than in giving simple clear advice to someone asking a question.

In this case, the OP can fly home whenever s/he wants. Leave the EU on his/her valid EU passport and enter the USA using his/her valid US passport. No ESTAs, no nothing. End of story.

As for egates, what do they have to do with the OP's question at all? Answer, absolutely nothing so why bring them up in this thread other than to waste people's time with something that is IRRELEVANT.
Speaking of wasting peopleís time?

The short of the situation is the OP doesnít need an Italian visa to stay in the Schengen zone for more than 90 days in any given 180 period if the OP is an EU citizen. Having an available and still valid EU passport to present is generally sufficient, regardless of how the OP enters and exits the Schengen zone.

But this all pre-supposed that the OPís UK passport is a UK passport of a sort that is for EU citizens. Note that various types of UK passports are issued to non-EU citizens.
GUWonder is offline Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:11 am #32

"But this all pre-supposed that the OP’s UK passport is a UK passport of a sort that is for EU citizens. Note that various types of UK passports are issued to non-EU citizens."

Here we go again, more nonsense and irrelevancy.

First, the OP wrote that s/he has a UK passport. There are indeed 8 'types' of British passports but 7 of them represent a total of around 238,000 individuals vs. 49,206,000 'normal' British passport holders as if Dec. 31, 2016. The odds are the OP is referring to a 'normal' British passport.

What's more, most people who hold one of the other 7, tend to be specific when they write about their passport and use terms like, 'I have a British Overseas Territories passport', not 'I have a UK passport'.

So I think we can 'pre-suppose' what the OP meant was a 'normal' UK passport.

Second, there is no such thing as an 'EU citizen'. The EU does not grant citizenship to anyone.
Silver Fox and TWA884 like this.
dulciusexasperis is offline Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:39 pm #33

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Quote:
Second, there is no such thing as an 'EU citizen'. The EU does not grant citizenship to anyone.
Sorry, you're wring. Citizens of each and every EU country are inherently also EU citizens and EU citizenship is a real thing.

http://ec.europa.eu/justice/citizen/index_en.htm
WilcoRoger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:46 pm #34
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Quote:
"But this all pre-supposed that the OPís UK passport is a UK passport of a sort that is for EU citizens. Note that various types of UK passports are issued to non-EU citizens."

Here we go again, more nonsense and irrelevancy.

First, the OP wrote that s/he has a UK passport. There are indeed 8 'types' of British passports but 7 of them represent a total of around 238,000 individuals vs. 49,206,000 'normal' British passport holders as if Dec. 31, 2016. The odds are the OP is referring to a 'normal' British passport.

What's more, most people who hold one of the other 7, tend to be specific when they write about their passport and use terms like, 'I have a British Overseas Territories passport', not 'I have a UK passport'.

So I think we can 'pre-suppose' what the OP meant was a 'normal' UK passport.

Considering potentially applicable facts ó at least in the absence of additional details provided by the OP ó is neither nonsense nor hitherto irrelevant.

There is legally such a thing as an EU citizen/EU citizenship. To try to deny that is to try to deny reality.
Old Today, 12:56 pm #35
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
Sorry, you're wring. Citizens of each and every EU country are inherently also EU citizens and EU citizenship is a real thing.

Not all nationals of EU member countries who are holders of EU member country-issued passports are EU citizens, even as the vast majority of such passport-holding persons are indeed also EU citizens. Passports issued by the UK and Denmark come to mind as having plenty of valid passports for those who aren’t EU citizens.
David-A likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Today at 2:32 pm
Old Today, 1:26 pm #36

Programs: MUCCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
Not all nationals of EU member countries who are holders of EU member country-issued passports are EU citizens, even as the vast majority of such passports are indeed also EU citizens. Passports issued by the UK and Denmark come to mind as having plenty of valid passports for those who aren’t EU citizens.
Indeed.

And to be clear - we are NOT talking about other types of British citizneship, and we are NOT talking about other types of British passports. (These are entirely separate dimensions - from each other, but we are not talking about either).

We are talking about there being full British citizens, holding non-variant passports (i.e. standard design/type) but who do not enjoy treaty rights.

And we are indeed noting that they may be small in number as we flag such things in passing and qualify our statements.

And not this is FT, so it is not simply about being pedantic. Think how much less of a resource this site would be if people give simplistic non-qualified or cautioned answers.

If we are going to give simplistic answers without flagging caveats we are aware of, people might as well use a simplistic mainstream travel forum.

Indeed, just looking at miles and points - FT would not be much of a resource if we didn't dive into the detail.

Also, many of us answer things for the benefit not only of the question asker, but others reading it now and in the future. Knoweldge/detail sharing is good. Simplistic sites are not good resources.
GUWonder likes this.
David-A is offline Reply With Quote
Old Today, 5:04 pm #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post

More barnyard lawyering.

You bring to mind a dumb young woman from England I once met who insisted she had an English passport. I told her if she could produce one I'd buy her a Ferrari. Was she 'English'? Yes she was, but England is not a sovereign country and her BRITISH passport proved that. No English passports exist and no EU passports exist. Was she an English citizen? NO, she was a British citizen as her passport proved she was. Is she subject to laws particular to England which are not applicable in Scotland, N. Ireland or Wales? Yes she is.

EU 'citizenship' exists only as a legal term for purposes of defining the rights and freedoms of citizens of EU member countries in regards to laws enacted by the EU parliament. It is not 'a real thing', it is only conceptual. Just as that young woman's 'English' citizenship is only conceptual. It is not 'a real citizenship' anymore than someone suggesting they are an English citizen is.
dulciusexasperis is offline Reply With Quote