Go Back > > >
Old Apr 14, 16, 4:53 am #1
Original Poster

Eva Air wines and spirits.

There is a thread currently running on Eva Air meals but I would like to know what wines are being served in Royal Laurel and particularly on London-Bangkok route. Also I believe that they no longer serve Dom Perignon? I expect the spirits to be top shelf products. What cognac is available? Any Calvados or a good port.
I read somewhere that Eva recently won an award for their business class whites. My experience of flying with far east carriers is that although they are happy to serve you what you want and carry on board some quality wines and spirits, they really have little idea about how to serve them. It is not a big thing but I prefer an XO cognac to be served without 2 ice cubes and don't want my wine to be topped up with a totally different wine.
I remember a few years back while flying in economy trying to explain to an FA that brandy could not be served in a plastic glass and that I vowed to return any proper glass to the galley. She duly obliged my request but there was a look of bewilderment on her face. To her, a glass was just a glass, no matter what was used in its production!

Last edited by dave31; Apr 15, 16 at 3:34 am
dave31 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 16, 7:21 pm #2
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
No more Dom. The rest I don't know. I have a alcohol menu within arms reach from BR but that's on Royal Laurel.
superangrypenguin is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 16, 3:35 am #3
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin View Post
No more Dom. The rest I don't know. I have a alcohol menu within arms reach from BR but that's on Royal Laurel.
Apologies, I meant Royal Laurel and have edited initial post accordingly.
Old Apr 15, 16, 3:56 am #4

Programs: BA Gold, OZ♦ (from BR), HH♦, SPG Plat Gaming: Cosmo Plt, mLife Plt, TR 7*
I haven't flown BR in a couple months (and never LHR-BKK), but the cognac was Hennessy XO. I think they had the typical Taylor Fladgate for port on the dessert cart.

Also note that Dom was replaced by La Grande Dame, which I much prefer anyway. It has been the 2004 vintage on all my flights so far.
gengar is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 16, 7:27 pm #5
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave31 View Post
Apologies, I meant Royal Laurel and have edited initial post accordingly.
Here you go:

http://imagebam.com/gallery/gjz5...1d1nfb108vv4hb
Old Apr 16, 16, 12:02 am #6
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Brandy can't be served in a plastic glass? Is there some law prohibiting such? If so, let us know, and consider initiating a class action against Air France
moondog is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 16, 4:29 am #7
Original Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post
Brandy can't be served in a plastic glass? Is there some law prohibiting such? If so, let us know, and consider initiating a class action against Air France

What kind of glass do you drink cognac out of?
A snifter (also called brandy snifter, cognac glass, or balloon) is a type of stemware, a short-stemmed glass whose vessel has a wide bottom and a relatively narrow top. It is mostly used to serve aged brown spirits such as bourbon, brandy, and whisky.
Old Apr 16, 16, 4:37 am #8
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave31 View Post
What kind of glass do you drink cognac out of?
A snifter (also called brandy snifter, cognac glass, or balloon) is a type of stemware, a short-stemmed glass whose vessel has a wide bottom and a relatively narrow top. It is mostly used to serve aged brown spirits such as bourbon, brandy, and whisky.
There's no need to lecture wrt snifters, but demanding such in Y is completely obnoxious.
moondog is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 16, 6:11 am #9
Original Poster

Nobody was 'lectured', nothing was 'demanded', and your use of the word 'obnoxious' leaves me wondering about what you have experienced in life to call this episode obnoxious!
You contributed absolutely nothing to my request for current wines and spirits onboard Eva, so I suggest we leave it there.
Old Apr 16, 16, 11:46 am #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondog View Post

Good alcohol deserves a good presentation, but honestly, if you're flying in Y, it's plastic, no matter the airline. Even airlines that DO serve decent alcoholic beverages in Y (Air France is ok'ish, Turkish has quite decent wine, the ME3 have quite some hard liquors) will always serve them in plastic cups.

Honestly, if some pax in Y would try to lecture me about which glass he wanted his alcohol in, he'd be answered that "I think you've had enough sir" - and that would it be for him drinking any more alcohol on this flight.

Also, Dom Perignon is clearly "F" champagne, I'm surprised if any airline would serve it in C, at least nowadays. Decent stuff like Moet is for C - or if you pick a cheap airline, even worse stuff (Yes Lufthansa, I'm looking at you)
YuropFlyer is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 16, 7:15 pm #11
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer View Post

Good alcohol deserves a good presentation
No. Good alcohol just needs to be drank.
smc333 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 17, 2:36 am #12

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold
Took Business Class TPE -MNL and they served Champagne de Castelnau on the flight (via A321)... taste was up to par if I may say. The red wine I requested with the meal (beef) was Chateau Palaoumey 2012 Red (French)... really dry, but worked well with the meal.
bluetear is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 17, 10:19 am #13
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Question J & Elite

Are the wines & champagne(if any) in Elite class the same as the J cabin?
djjaguar64 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 17, 7:09 pm #14

Programs: Hilton HHonors Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
For J class wines and spirits compared to Elite, I believe it would be different. This flight did not have Elite though, only two classes (J and Y). That might be the same case when flying on three classes.
bluetear is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 17, 9:01 pm #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjaguar64 View Post
They are not pouring Krug in Premium Econ.
MattEvan is offline Reply With Quote