Go Back > >
Old May 16, 16, 7:51 am - Wikipost
Cpi-Web Forums Thread Wiki: FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org!
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
The Cpi-Web Lending Team on Kiva:
improving lives a small loan at a time.

Kiva.org is the not-for-profit microlending organization that networks people willing to lend to small entrepreneurs in developing nations using available technology and international networking / collaboration, and how Kiva.org had become an approved Cpi-Web charity thanks to TalkBoard's approval June 29, 2008 <link> It is listed on the Cpi-Web Cares page.

Quote:
"Kiva is a grassroots project started by a team with a big idea: one-to-one, real-time lending to the poor via the Internet. Currently, we take no cut of the loan you make through our site -- 100% goes to the entrepreneur. We suggest a 10% donation, in addition to your loan, to help us cover our costs. Kiva is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and your donation is tax-deductible for US taxpayers." (Suggested donations for administrative overhead, low though that is, are not required - you may lend 100% if you so choose.)
Since June 2008, a FlyerTalker Lending Team has formed on Kiva.org; there were ten of us with 55 loans worth $1,375.00 as of Feb 27, 2009. But...

As of 15 May 2016 it's 607 Cpi-Web lending team who have lent $2,209,175 in 37,092 loans!

Our motto is: "We loan because: We want to fight global poverty while earning miles."

This is tangible evidence Cpi-Web Cares! There are likely other FlyerTalkers on Kiva who have not joined - if you are one of them, do so now to show your and FT's support and involvement. If you haven't lent yet, check it out - you may want to join up. For the low-income entrepreneurs on five continents who are requesting loans, microlending is significant - and it takes a lot of drops to fill the bucket. (Read on to see updates!)

Now, we can see this sophisticated network link resources from those who can lend (no interest, sorry!) with those who are needy, worthy and screened by local NGOs and have a need to start / expand their small business to enhance their and their families' survival. And, using PayPal and your FFP/FFG linked card or account, you can earn miles or points with many loans!

FlyerTalkers are lending, and fulfilling one of FT's seminal values, that of "paying it forward."

Read more about Kiva.org, who supports and enables it (Intel, Google, Paypal, Intuit and many others,) and see if you have $25.00 (or more) you can lend someone deserving in a land you have visited and enjoyed (or not.)

This is how it works:

Add your experiences here, or if you haven't joined... won't you consider joining the FlyerTalker Lending Team?

You can see who the latest FT borrowers are (some still possibly needing loans) here

For ease, you can click here: Subscribe to FlyerTalker Lending Team on Kiva.org
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 8, 17, 10:00 am #1291

Well, I just had my first default on Kiva... In hindsight, I did think the loan value was excessive for the country, but I figured it was worth a shot.

Updated stats:
Total loans: 257
Total lent: $7,325.00
Total lost: $2.88
Amount of currency loss: $0.18
Amount of default loss: $2.70

I'm still not disappointed. I've lost 0.03%. Considering inflation in the US is running ~2.2%, the US government's fiscal policies are more dangerous to my money than Kiva loans.
KRSW is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 9:22 am #1292

I'm new to MS and most interested in using Kiva for this purpose because I love Kiva and love the idea of helping others while doing this. Kiva also seems easier than running around to WMs and banks.

But I'm doing the math and I'm confused. If I donate 10k to Kiva, even if I have no defaults and eventually withdraw 10k to paypal, I pay $290 in paypal fees. I may earn 10k points for $290. But considering most points have a value around 1.5c (using tpg's valuation from 11/3/17), I've paid $290 for $150 in points.

Can someone help me understand why this would be a good idea?
Veiled is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 9:54 am #1293

Programs: US Silver / AA Ruby, Hyatt & Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott & SPG Fools Gold
PayPal waves the fees for all kiva transactions
skitch23 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:19 am #1294

Quote:
Originally Posted by skitch23 View Post
PayPal waves the fees for all kiva transactions
Oh wow. That becomes very easy math. Thanks.
Veiled is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 7:34 pm #1295
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled View Post
I'm new to MS and most interested in using Kiva for this purpose because I love Kiva and love the idea of helping others while doing this. Kiva also seems easier than running around to WMs and banks.

But I'm doing the math and I'm confused. If I donate 10k to Kiva, even if I have no defaults and eventually withdraw 10k to paypal, I pay $290 in paypal fees. I may earn 10k points for $290. But considering most points have a value around 1.5c (using tpg's valuation from 11/3/17), I've paid $290 for $150 in points.

Can someone help me understand why this would be a good idea?
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

So just to be clear: you can either make loans (which are then repaid back to you - minus any defaults or currency loss) or you can openly donate to their nonprofit organization.

If you simply donate money to Kiva, there's no withdrawal. It's a pure donation.

If you make loans, the lenders will repay (generally monthly or at the end of the loan). As money comes back into your account, you can then withdraw it back to your PayPal account. Note: all money added to your Kiva account must be cycled through at least one loan. That is, you can't just fund your account with a bunch of money and then immediately withdraw. (All account withdrawals go through an auditing process, so your transaction/account will get flagged.)

And as mentioned, PayPal waives all fees for Kiva transactions.

If you have other questions, feel free to ask!
l'etoile likes this.
JY1024 is offline Reply With Quote