Go Back > > >
Old Oct 3, 17, 7:17 am #1
Original Poster
Ritz-Carlton Contributor BadgeSPG Contributor Badge

Egypt: On my life list but not in this life time.

I have dreamed about going to Egypt all my life. As a student of archaeology in college it holds even greater fascination.

About a decade ago when I become a bit more socially conscious I realized that there were certain places in this world, besides the obvious dangers as a gay man, that I just could not go to because of their archaic and inhumane treatment of the GLBT community. I made the point not to spend any of my money in such countries (and recently that goes for some US States as well)

Seeing this article this morning validates my decision to not go to Egypt....at least in this lifetime.

https://gaystarnews.com/article/...pt/#gs.pCJTv04
chrisny2 and BCH like this.
david55 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 17, 10:01 pm #2

Programs: Delta FO, Hertz Gold, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Discoverist.
I'm with you. Check out what happened to this guy in Dubai.

https://irishtimes.com/news/worl...-bar-1.3248290

And he might not even be gay. The guy he touched only became aggravated after seeing the Scottish man sit at a table with another man.
BCH likes this.
tmorse6570 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 17, 6:19 pm #3

Programs: US Chairman; HHonors Diamond; Priority Club Platinum; Emerald Club Executive Elite; Marriott Gold
Went about 6 years ago, before the Arab Spring and had a great time. Being American, I found it hard to deal with their (my perception) aggressiveness...we like our personal space. Typical of the Middle Eat in general, but a great time overall. Sexualy aggressive too, so be prepared.
chrisdenver1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 17, 2:54 pm #4
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas

Programs: US/AA, HHonors, Hertz
Very interesting thread, and appropriate.

I'm looking for a mileage run/mini vacation for the MLK weekend in January and Cario popped up on my radar.

I wish I could say I avoid all places with anti-LGBT sentiment...but I'd be lying. I've been to China, India, and probably others that I'm not even aware of.

Has anyone been to Cairo recently? Anything you'd like to share?
aztimm is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 17, 1:56 pm #5

Programs: BA Gold / Star Alliance Gold
I lived in Cairo for 13 years, and they were the best years of my life.

I struggled the entire time with misconceptions on the part of my family and friends back in the USA, but having lived internationally now for 30 years, I understand that most of the worlds' perceptions about places are fairly skewed. My Egyptian friends were terrified when they learned I was going to the USA to visit my family; their understanding was that everybody had guns and that nowhere is safe. They worried constantly for my safety while I was in my home country.

People of color could all refuse to visit the USA because of what they've read in the press about the treatment of black people at the hands of American policemen. That would be a shame for both the travellers and for the USA.

I suppose it's great to have principles, and yes - travellers should exercise good judgement when traveling in another culture... but my goodness my life view would be constrained if I had limited my travel to sanitary, politically-amenable places. I've been to 60 countries and wouldn't take back a single journey.

Last edited by Buzzz; Nov 4, 17 at 2:08 pm
Buzzz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 17, 8:20 pm #6

Location: شمال أمريكا والعالم العربي - N America + Arab World
Programs: *A, SkyTeam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzz View Post
I lived in Cairo for 13 years, and they were the best years of my life.

I struggled the entire time with misconceptions on the part of my family and friends back in the USA, but having lived internationally now for 30 years, I understand that most of the worlds' perceptions about places are fairly skewed. My Egyptian friends were terrified when they learned I was going to the USA to visit my family; their understanding was that everybody had guns and that nowhere is safe. They worried constantly for my safety while I was in my home country.

People of color could all refuse to visit the USA because of what they've read in the press about the treatment of black people at the hands of American policemen. That would be a shame for both the travellers and for the USA.

I suppose it's great to have principles, and yes - travellers should exercise good judgement when traveling in another culture... but my goodness my life view would be constrained if I had limited my travel to sanitary, politically-amenable places. I've been to 60 countries and wouldn't take back a single journey.
Seconded
Gayrab is offline Reply With Quote