Go Back Cpi-Web Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page > Consolidated "767-300 Hawaiian Air Seating and what's it like" Thread [Merged]

Consolidated "767-300 Hawaiian Air Seating and what's it like" Thread [Merged]

Old Aug 24, 09, 6:49 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP, AirTran Elite, Hertz Gold, Radisson Gold Elite
I'm 6'1 and 280 -- I've been on the "newly" refurbished Delta 767s near the back and it was OK.. was on the 2 side and the seat next to me was open. Best thing to do is keep watching the seat map and get a seat far from everyone else!
Old Aug 25, 09, 12:11 am

Programs: HA - Pualani Plat; Avis FIRST; Emerald Club Executive
checked seatguru and seatexpert ... how do you know which version of 767 you'll be on?
Old Aug 25, 09, 12:50 am
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
I don't think you do.
Old Sep 23, 09, 9:14 pm

Programs: Hawaiian Air Fold, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum
Hmm, I thought you had to be in the best rows of seats to get 32 in seat pitch.

I think much of the plane is 31 in.

Look at it this way. If the guy in front of you lowers their seat back it will crush your laptop. So at least you don't have to work on the way over.

I fly PHX-HNL (~7 hrs in the seat) monthly and if I take a Southwest flight now I feel like I am in Heaven and First Class.

But the cabin staff is very pleasant.

Oh, BTW, bring a thick magazine to put behind your back so the bony knees of the passenger behind you doesn't destroy your kidneys. (I wish I was kidding).

Perry
Old Sep 29, 09, 12:57 pm

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by pkincy View Post
Hmm, I thought you had to be in the best rows of seats to get 32 in seat pitch.

I think much of the plane is 31 in.

Look at it this way. If the guy in front of you lowers their seat back it will crush your laptop. So at least you don't have to work on the way over.

I fly PHX-HNL (~7 hrs in the seat) monthly and if I take a Southwest flight now I feel like I am in Heaven and First Class.

But the cabin staff is very pleasant.

Oh, BTW, bring a thick magazine to put behind your back so the bony knees of the passenger behind you doesn't destroy your kidneys. (I wish I was kidding).

Perry
If I had to do Mainland-Hawaii flights on a monthly basis, I would fly UA, become Premier on UA, and fly in E+ -- even though there would be a connection in LAX or SFO. UA's E+ is great!
Old Jan 15, 10, 7:22 am

Programs: Foodland Maika'i Plastic Card, DL GM when it meant something
Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
You will be miserable, sorry to say.

I'm 6'1" and when I have had to fly HA Y from Hawai`i to the mainland (which are the same planes as their SYD/MNL flights) it's really bad -- unless you can manage to have the seat next to you unoccupied.

If you've flown United, think Economy Minus.
Is it that really that bad?

I (6'2") will be flying to/from the mainland on HA for the first time, having travelled to the islands exclusively on DL in the past. I had absolutely no comfort issues even with the 9-hour CVG flight. I don't expect an HA 767 to be like an L-1011, but is it really that much worse than say a 737 transcon in plain vanilla Y on AA, UA, DL, US, etc.? And are the seats in the forward "mini-cabin" significantly worse than the rest (as indicated by seatguru)?
Old Jul 3, 10, 8:49 pm

Hawaiian Airlines coach

Hello all,
I will be flying Hawaiian airlines Oak-Ogg in August and was just wondering what their coach product is like? I can't find that much info about it in the forums. I will post a trip report as soon as I get back.
Old Jul 3, 10, 10:06 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Let's move this to the Hawaiian Airlines/Hawaii-based Airlines forum.

Thanks,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-mod
Old Nov 2, 10, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HA Pualani platinum, Hilton diamond, Marriott gold, Priority Club platinum, SPG
HA Boeing 767 jet seating (not matching seatguru.com)

The seat map for HA 28 (HNL to SEA) on Nov 5th does not match the maps on Seat Guru. Any recommendations? I'd like an aisle seat,
1) preferably without the equipment box under the seat in front,
2) without the air vent overhead,
3) not close to lavatory or galley
4) not in front of an exit row, and
5) not a bulkhead or exit row.

Version 1 on Seat Guru that has the right number of rows says that rows 11 to 16 has less legroom than seats at the back, but the exit rows don't match up. Hawaiian seat map does not show lavatory and galley.

Is this the "newer" or older plane?
thanks!
Old Nov 15, 10, 5:52 pm

Programs: Ovaltine secret decoder club, Hilton Diamond, United 1K, Hawaiian air Gold, Starwood Gold
That is a long list. With all of your seating requirements, perhaps you would be better off paying for a first class on this HA flight or using your status on UA as you would most certainly be upgraded.

With the addition of the Airbus to the fleet, HA is using the versions 1 and 2 of the 763 and mixing it up on many of it routes. Your best bet would be to find a seat that you wouldn't mind in either version and pick that. Alternatively, you could pay the extra for the exit row and if the airframe switches...they will re-ticket you on the exit row on the other airframe.
Old Nov 18, 10, 12:57 am

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, National EC Executive, UA & AAdvantage
When it comes to the 767, I would take Seatuguru lightly. You have to keep in mind that HA has 3 different configurations of 767s as Boeing offers the 767-300 with 3 different door configurations. I think HA is one of the only airlines out there that flies all 3 versions. Each door configuration has a different amount of maximum seating capacity and locations affecting bulkheads, exit rows, lavatories, etc

Back in 2000/2001 when HA started their longhaul fleet replacement getting rid of the DC-10s, HA acquired the 767s from a variety of leasing sources. If I recall the first 3 767s were originally supposed to be delivered brand new to Ansett Australia, but that airline went bankrupt while the planes were being built so HA took them instead. However, because they were already in production, the configuration of those aircraft were to Ansett's specs. 4 767s were acquired used from I believe ILFC who was leasing those aircraft to LTU Airlines in Germany. The remaining leased 767s were leased brand new through AWAS and Boeing Capital if I recall. Also of course you have the 4 ex-Delta ships that were purchased outright by HA.

Because of all this, you now have a "colorful" 767 fleet with mixed configurations which can make things confusing sometimes for passengers and a headache sometimes for HA when aircraft need to be substituted for whatever reason.

This consistency challenge will get better over time for HA as more Airbus A330s join the fleet as there is only 1 door configuration for the A330-200 regardless of who ordered the jet from Airbus unlike Boeing with its 3 different configurations. I believe Delta Air Lines also has this challenge too as they fly 767s with different door configurations as well.

On Seatguru, version 1 of the 767 represents the first 3 original 767-300ER's (N580HA to N582HA) that were originally supposed to go to Ansett Australia. These aircraft have the older Boeing interior. Version 2 of the 767 on Seatuguru represents the newer 767s leased from Boeing Capital and AWAS (N587HA to N593HA). These aircraft have the newer Boeing Signature 777 style interior. I believe version 2 also represents the 4 ex-Delta planes (N594HA, N596HA to N598HA). However, these aircraft have a different interior called the Nu-Look interior that is an aftermarket modification from a company called Heath Tecna. It is quite nice and almost like the Boeing Signature interior. There are several 767 airlines out there that replaced their older Boeing interiors with this one.

The only configuration not represented on Seatuguru is for the 4 ex-LTU ILFC leased aircraft (N583HA to N586HA). I haven't flown on too many of these aircraft so can't recall the interior too much.
Old Nov 21, 10, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HA Pualani platinum, Hilton diamond, Marriott gold, Priority Club platinum, SPG
Thanks for the explanation! Ended up that my strategizing didn't matter. I changed from a row 12 seat to row 22 because I thought row 12 was two rows from the galley. When I checked in my bag was given a new boarding pass--row 27. All agent could tell me was that there was an equipment change, but she added that the seat next to me was empty.

There was a row 22 in the new plane, but the middle seat remained empty Sorry, I slept most of the flight and didn't notice the interior. A friend said that the turkey sandwich snack was good.
Old Dec 27, 11, 12:14 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA Gold
C class on HA HNL-SYD

I am looking at a seat map for HA HNL-SYD route and C class only shows 2 rows. I presume from this that they are flying one of the ex LTU planes on this route. Earlier reports in this thread mention an upgraded cabin in around 2008. How are the seats in the new C cabin?

Also, HNL-LAS is showing two C class row on the A330-200. Seat guru shows three rows. Who's right?
Old Jun 12, 12, 1:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; HHonors Gold; NEXUS
Can anyone help me identify the birds on HA 21 for 10/13 and HA 22 on 10/20?

They don't match any configs on seatguru, don't have a row 25, have exit rows at 26 and 32, and a single row of middle seats for row 44 (nothing on the windows). Are these by chance the ex-LTU planes? Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 12, 3:13 am

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, National EC Executive, UA & AAdvantage
Originally Posted by sullim4 View Post
Can anyone help me identify the birds on HA 21 for 10/13 and HA 22 on 10/20?

They don't match any configs on seatguru, don't have a row 25, have exit rows at 26 and 32, and a single row of middle seats for row 44 (nothing on the windows). Are these by chance the ex-LTU planes? Thanks!
At this point I would say very hard to determine and you will probably have to wait until the 24 hour mark and OLCI.

I believe what you are seeing on the HA seatmap is common across all HA 767 seatmaps on the reservation system meaning rows 26 and 32 as exit. The single row of CEG seats at row 44 is like that because HA offsets the AB and HJ seats slightly from the CEG center seats to facilitate easier access to the aisels that is not reflected on the reservations seatmap, but is on Seatguru.

Building off of my post in this thread above on 11/17/10, because of the differences in seat configurations allowed based on the door designs by Boeing, HA can only preassign a certain amount and location of seats at reservation, hence why the seatmap looked like how you described. Here's my further explanation from another thread:

Originally Posted by HA/UA_Flyer View Post
Also as I explained in an old thread, in the case of a 767 aircraft, HA flies 3 different seat configurations based on the door configuration (blame Boeing for offering so many door configs LOL). This is so because over the years HA aquired their 767's from different leasing sources.

Anyways, HA's 767 seat configurations are 1) 3 aircraft with 18F/234Y, 2) 4 aircraft with 18F/241Y, and 3) 9 aircraft wth 18F/246Y.

Because specific aircraft are not allocated to a specific flight until the 24 hour mark, HA can only allow for seat assignment the seats that are common across all 3 767 seat configurations namely 18F and 234Y (the seat config with the lowest seat count). This is in addition to the "premium" seats and blocked seats for specific purposes mentioned by others.

At the 24 hour mark before departure, a specific aircraft is allocated to the flight and the non-common seats are opened up in the system. Hence as discussed lots, the online check in is good if you want the good seats.
The ex-LTU ships are configuration #2 in my explanation above. So again, you may have to wait until the 24 hour mark and OLCI for a definitive answer unless someone else has any other info or tips. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread