Beware of a mileage charge with Hertz

Old Mar 8, 12, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Platinum HH Diamond VIP Hertz 5 Star Gold Avis First Preferred
Beware of a mileage charge with Hertz

Just an FYI, I am flying into Huntsville AL on Sunday and went to print out my Hertz reservation, noticed that only the first 700 miles were free and there was a charge of 22 cents per mile after that. I have rented hundreds of cars from Hertz and this is the first time I can recall the rental not including unlimited free mileage.

Called the Hertz gold line and they said that they could give me an unlimited mile rate, but it was about $200 more. Called Avis. received a rate that was HALF of the Hertz rate with unlimited free miles, when I told them I was a Hertz Gold 5 star, they set me up as a Avis First Preferred customer (without asking for any documentation). Glad that I caught it and going forward, I will no longer give Hertz all of my business.

Last edited by ANDYBNJ; Mar 8, 12 at 1:13 pm
Old Mar 8, 12, 1:12 pm

I've generally had a better experience with Avis anyway. I have yet to get a bad car from them. The last time I went with Hertz, I had a Cube waiting in my stall.

Oh, Huntsville too. I think that location is a licensee so that explains a lot. 99% of licensees give the remaining 1% a bad name.
Old Mar 8, 12, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by spades097 View Post
I've generally had a better experience with Avis anyway. I have yet to get a bad car from them. The last time I went with Hertz, I had a Cube waiting in my stall.
By Cube, do you mean a Cube Van?

Thanks for the feedback on your Avis experience, have not rented from them in about 20 years, I kept on using Hertz exclusively (I guess just out of habit), but this experience opened my eyes.
Old Mar 8, 12, 1:50 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
Was this an SUV by chance? I haven't noticed this coming up with standard car classes, but when I was checking rates one time recently I checked some SUV rates that looked lower than usual on the surface and found that for a week it would only include 700 miles (100/day I guess). Would work fine if I needed it around home or on some trips, but I was taking about a 1500 mile round trip with that one.

Haven't run into a standard car rate (economy through premium) that didn't have unlimited miles included.

I don't have experience with licensees; they're mostly bad though when reported here.

Cube = Nissan Cube, a little boxy 4-door hatch thing that's probably classed as midsize. My local Avis has these so that's no panacea for avoiding them. (I've never gotten one at Hertz or seen one at the small HLE where I get most of my Hertz rentals.)
Old Mar 8, 12, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

I was renting a full size (Malibu). I have rented from Hertz locations that were licensees in the past and have had no issues and good service in general.
Old Mar 8, 12, 9:39 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Originally Posted by ANDYBNJ View Post
Just an FYI, I am flying into Huntsville AL on Sunday and went to print out my Hertz reservation, noticed that only the first 700 miles were free and there was a charge of 22 cents per mile after that. I have rented hundreds of cars from Hertz and this is the first time I can recall the rental not including unlimited free mileage.

Called the Hertz gold line and they said that they could give me an unlimited mile rate, but it was about $200 more. Called Avis. received a rate that was HALF of the Hertz rate with unlimited free miles, when I told them I was a Hertz Gold 5 star, they set me up as a Avis First Preferred customer (without asking for any documentation). Glad that I caught it and going forward, I will no longer give Hertz all of my business.
Were you actuallly going to drive more than 700 miles (per day?)
Old Mar 8, 12, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Were you actuallly going to drive more than 700 miles (per day?)
No, but I was going to drive well over 700 miles for the week.
Old Mar 9, 12, 12:27 am
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Was the limit 700 miles total or 700 per day? If per rental, then that's pretty poor... Just doing a dummy rental, looks like they are limiting normal rate to 100 miles a day; can def see why you would want to go elsewhere
Old Mar 9, 12, 1:10 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Dave Noble View Post
Was the limit 700 miles total or 700 per day? If per rental, then that's pretty poor... Just doing a dummy rental, looks like they are limiting normal rate to 100 miles a day; can def see why you would want to go elsewhere
Try searching for a coupon or CDP code to apply at this location. My CDP rate for a Malibu is just under $300 for the week with unlimited miles included.
Old Mar 9, 12, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dcline414 View Post
Try searching for a coupon or CDP code to apply at this location. My CDP rate for a Malibu is just under $300 for the week with unlimited miles included.
Already have a reservation with Avis so im not going to bother, but I will keep that in mind for any future rentals.
Old Mar 12, 12, 4:40 pm

Programs: Marriott, SPG, IHG Plat; Hyatt, Hilton, BW Diamond; Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred
Thanks for the feedback on your Avis experience, have not rented from them in about 20 years, I kept on using Hertz exclusively (I guess just out of habit), but this experience opened my eyes.
I'm Hertz Gold and Avis Preferred. I always shop both of them and book whichever one's cheapest.
Both are great full service companies. I don't meet the Preferred or Gold annual requirements (~4 rentals/yr each) but they always keep my status and often give me free upgrades. No complaints on either company.

I haven't had issues with mileage limitations for a long time; only time that happened was on a one way with Avis.

Search this Thread