Go Back Cpi-Web Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
Reload this Page > Dear Hertz, How Dare You? A Warning to All at LAX!

Dear Hertz, How Dare You? A Warning to All at LAX!

Old Mar 12, 12, 10:21 am

Dear Hertz, How Dare You? A Warning to All at LAX!

I just received the most outrageous letter from Hertz Corporate in Oklahoma City. It reads as follows (excuse typos as I'm so angry with Hertz my hands are turning into fists):

Thank you for selecting Hertz as your rental car provider.

Under the terms of your Rental Agreement, Hertz audited your recent rental charges. When the vehicle was returned, the fuel tank was noted as "full." However, when the vehicle was serviced for the next rental, 3.71 gallons of gas were needed to refuel the vehicle.

We have corrected your rental charges and applied the appropriate Fuel and Service Charge of $35.76 to the credit or debit card provided as your form of payment.

We regret any inconvenience caused by this delay in billing.

Okay, look, if I was trying to pull a fast one I wouldn't be griping in this forum. I'd consider myself busted and suck up the cost. But I filled the tank 1 mile from the drop off location (Los Angeles Int'l Airport) at some dodgy no-name station, which is all you'll find between the freeway exit and the Hertz lot. Anyone who knows the area knows two things: it's sketchy, and the gas stations don't take credit cards, so I have no proof of the fill-up. Like any reasonable human being I tossed the receipt in the trash after the friendly (no sarcasm, she was really nice) Hertz colleague at LAX drop off started the car, confirmed the tank was full, then handed me a receipt to document, memorialize, and validate that the car was returned full!

I'm dropping a letter in the mail to Hertz tonight, void of the sarcasm and anger one is tempted to put into such a letter. I'll keep this thread posted with my with back-and-forth as the correspondence shuffle begins.

I mean honestly what's to prevent them from doing this to every customer, and what recourse does a customer have? I kind of thought the Hertz person starting the car, checking the tank, and producing a receipt was proof enough? Should we start photographing the fuel gauge with the Hertz person in the driver's seat ("can you please hold your badge up to the camera?") and archiving the images in anticipation of a Dear Valued Customer letter?

I know the Hertz people at LAX breathe a lot of jet fuel every day but they shouldn't mimic the airline customer service experience. C'mon, really?
Old Mar 12, 12, 10:40 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Wow, this is a new low in fuel charges.

I have refueled rental cars before returning and discovered that either the car wasn't full when I rented (though the gauge appeared to be) or I averaged 8 MPG over 55 traffic-free highway miles. Hertz never seems to care that I had to pay an extra $10-$15 to fill up a tank that wasn't really full when I rented, so why should they be made whole when they are the ones that have to pay?

I guess from now on I'll be scanning my receipts and making note of the miles driven and the gallons of gas purchased to refuel. OP, sorry you are learning about this new practice the hard way, but thank you very much for the heads up!

Shame on you Hertz!
Old Mar 12, 12, 11:37 am

Programs: Hertz PC
In all my rental returns I take a snapshot with my phone of the dash where you can see both the mileage and the fuel gauge so if any questions I can email it to a CSR. It does seem like some of this cars the gauge could look full and still put in 3-5 gals.
Old Mar 12, 12, 12:42 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles

Programs: AAdvantage | MileagePlus
Originally Posted by trvlnman View Post
But I filled the tank 1 mile from the drop off location (Los Angeles Int'l Airport) at some dodgy no-name station, which is all you'll find between the freeway exit and the Hertz lot. Anyone who knows the area knows two things: it's sketchy, and the gas stations don't take credit cards, so I have no proof of the fill-up.
There are quite a few name brand gas stations that accept credit cards between the freeway and the Hertz facility at 9000 Airport Blvd. (map). In all my years of living in the greater Los Angeles area, with the exception of ARCO, I have yet to encounter a gas station that does not accept credit cards.

Like any reasonable human being I tossed the receipt in the trash after the friendly (no sarcasm, she was really nice) Hertz colleague at LAX drop off started the car, confirmed the tank was full, then handed me a receipt to document, memorialize, and validate that the car was returned full!
Reasonable people keep the gasoline purchase receipt and the car rental receipt until after the charges appear on their credit card statement.
Old Mar 12, 12, 12:50 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I have yet to understand what a receipt for buying gas actually shows. It doesn't show that you filled up the car, it shows that you put gas in the car. I have never seen a gas station that noted that the car was full when the receipt was printed.

It always cracks me up at the places that do ask for a receipt.

It sounds like somebody else had the car for a trip and they just have the wrong person.
Old Mar 12, 12, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
I have yet to understand what a receipt for buying gas actually shows. It doesn't show that you filled up the car, it shows that you put gas in the car.
It is all circumstantial.

The receipt shows how much gas one purchased (and may have put in the rental car fuel tank), when and where. Taken in combination with the number of miles driven and the fuel economy rating of the vehicle, one may be able to determine if the renter replaced the amount of gasoline that was used while driving the rental car.
Old Mar 12, 12, 2:11 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
It is all circumstantial.

The receipt shows how much gas one purchased (and may have put in the rental car fuel tank), when and where. Taken in combination with the number of miles driven and the fuel economy rating of the vehicle, one may be able to determine if the renter replaced the amount of gasoline that was used while driving the rental car.
Some rental companies like Budget require that you show proof of fill up but I've never been challenged upon showing the receipt. What ticks me off is the number of times I have left the car rental facility (Hertz in particular) gotten five miles out and the gas gauge starts to already go below Full.

I often on a two day trip will rent a car from MIA Airport to South Beach, about a 15 mile trip round trip. Yet when I fill the car up (usually a compact or at most a midsize) I end up putting $15 of gas into the tank and I know I am not burning that much gas on a 15 mile trip.
Old Mar 12, 12, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 View Post
There are quite a few name brand gas stations that accept credit cards between the freeway and the Hertz facility at 9000 Airport Blvd. (map). In all my years of living in the greater Los Angeles area, with the exception of ARCO, I have yet to encounter a gas station that does not accept credit cards.

Reasonable people keep the gasoline purchase receipt and the car rental receipt until after the charges appear on their credit card statement.

Good comments, obviously you're meticulous, nothing wrong with that, but how far does a customer have to go to anticipate something like this? The "oops your car needed $35.76 more gas" charge hit my AX at a later date, a week after the agreed-upon charges were put through. Even if I had the receipt from the gas station (or my AX statement) it doesn't help my case, it just means I purchased some gas.

This situation strikes me as petty on Hertz's part. Their opportunity to settle the rental is during the return process. What if they sent any one of us a letter 10 days later saying they found body damage? No customer can photograph inch of the car "just in case" - seats, spare tire, the parts under the hood?

Regarding the gas stations - my brother gets on me for speaking in absolutes, so your point is well taken. I was basing my experience on 3 returns to LAX in the last 12 mos and every time pulling into a station that was cash only. This time it was TMP Gas at 5800 West Manchester Blvd, last time it was an ARCO (one of the 1st stations you hit when pulling off the 405 south following the rental return signs). My conspiracy theory spouse mumbled it was to get people into the store to buy junk food but the businessman in me says it's about the merchant fees.

Thanks for the helpful comments ... you're making me a better business traveler.
Old Mar 12, 12, 2:42 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
One of the HLE's in our area fills every car with an on site gas pump. If it takes over some amount (I have heard half gallon from one person, a gallon from another) they will charge the customer. Everybody gets a full tank topped off, and since the cheapest gas in town is a half block away, most people stop there to top them off.

I so wish they all did that.
Old Mar 12, 12, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge View Post
Some rental companies like Budget require that you show proof of fill up but I've never been challenged upon showing the receipt. What ticks me off is the number of times I have left the car rental facility (Hertz in particular) gotten five miles out and the gas gauge starts to already go below Full.
Last year in St. Louis, Avis or Budget required receipts for cars driven under 75 miles in order to avoid a $13.99 fuel service charge.
Old Mar 12, 12, 2:51 pm

wow, waiting for 5 yrs to post... wow!
Old Mar 12, 12, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA, UC, Hertz 5*
Yeah be careful, I work for a well known rental agency and they are training us for Fuel Recovery this week. Customers, be careful.

If the gas is not full when you pick it up, insist on getting it full or having the Rental Agent sign off on it. (Dont have the person at the exit gate do it because they dont have anything to do with your rental, regardless of what the Renting agent says.)

Also at the locations where you can pick your own car, check the car before you even drive it, and choose a different one if it has any damages bigger than a quarter.
Old Mar 12, 12, 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by trvlnman View Post
When the vehicle was returned, the fuel tank was noted as "full."
dispute any added charge to your credit card, and this will be your proof. once the rental location accepted it as full, the fault lies with location staff and not with you.

after you successfully get the charge rejected by your credit card, bill hertz for your $25 administration fee for subjecting you to this hassle.
Old Mar 12, 12, 8:06 pm

Programs: Marriott, SPG, IHG Plat; Hyatt, Hilton, BW Diamond; Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
wow, waiting for 5 yrs to post... wow!
I guess the OP didn't have anything to say until now. ... mighty impressive.

Hey trvlnman, any chance you can train my wife?

AM1108, good point. With fuel prices on the rise, this is one of those areas where rental car companies are feeling the pinch. I know I've gone 20+ miles after topping off on occasion but I think it's now best to simply top off very close to the rental car location - and give the pump a couple of extra squeezes after the autoshutoff just to make sure that the tank's good and full ...
Old Mar 12, 12, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
One of the HLE's in our area fills every car with an on site gas pump. If it takes over some amount (I have heard half gallon from one person, a gallon from another) they will charge the customer. Everybody gets a full tank topped off, and since the cheapest gas in town is a half block away, most people stop there to top them off.

I so wish they all did that.
At MCI (pretty new place) The fuel pumps are where they vac/clean the cars and you can see them put the gas nozzle in every return. My guess if they can fit in a certian amount they charge you their high amount per gallon for it.