hauling dirt in a pickup

Old Aug 26, 12, 9:56 am
Original Poster
Cpi-Web Evangelist

hauling dirt in a pickup

the original purpose of a pick was to haul stuff. i want to haul dirt in a pickup for my yard and garden. all the pickups i see are for prissy people to go to the downtown hotel. what happens if i haul dirt, and leave some of it behind, along with a couple rake or shovel scratches from moving the stuff out of the truck. am i charged? i could just hose it down, but will still leave some marks and residue.

does the rental agency go ballistic, or do they just take it in stride?

in the dc area it is next to impossible to rent a pickup from uhaul.

i had a dump truck, which was great. insurance went over $100/year, and lisence was $180/year. i decided for the few times i need a truck, i would rent.
Old Aug 26, 12, 10:01 am

Programs: DL Krystal Chik Medallion, Hilton Dia, SPG Plat, Hyatt Dia, Hertz PC, National EE, Kroger Plus Card
If you can, head out to Annapolis or south Anne Arundel county. Uhauls out there usually have more pickups. Also, Home Depot rents pickups and stick trucks that you can use to haul dirt.

I'd definitely recommend going with one of these types of places than any of the car-focused rental companies.
Old Aug 26, 12, 4:38 pm
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Second the Home Depot or Lowe's truck rental for this purpose.
Old Aug 27, 12, 9:42 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
I have always found renting trucks from standard rental companies to be expensive and with restrictions. The standard rental companies discourage the use of the vehicle as a truck.

"Rent-A-Wreck" or similar is a good option. Delivery of items such as dirt and sod are quite reasonable. And as noted the vehicles provided by Home Depot are a bargain for a quick delivery. The vehicles provided by Home Depot are flat beds at the local location so a truck load of dirt may not be an option.
Old Aug 27, 12, 12:45 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta GM, National EE, Hertz PC, SPG Plat
I'm going to disagree with the above posters. There is no reason you cannot haul dirt (or anything else that might be dirty/large/etc) in a rental pickup. And it's cheaper to use a rental pickup than a U-Haul, Lowe's, or Home Depot truck, all of which charge you by the mile. It is for this reason the rental companies all spec their pickups with bedliners (and not plain metal beds).

I frequently get pickups from my local HLE, and this particular HLE rents out its pickups to contractors and construction companies all the time. On many occasions when I go to pick up (no pun intended) there are woodchips or other mulch scraps in the beds.

It probably would be a good idea to hose it out and vacuum inside if you really mess it up. I would be extra careful with shovels/rakes etc because dents and scratches ARE the kind of damage you can get in trouble for.

I also wouldn't recommend using the truck for towing anything (does not sound like you will), which is expressly forbidden by the rental agreement. Putting stuff in the bed and hauling is not.
Old Aug 27, 12, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL Krystal Chik Medallion, Hilton Dia, SPG Plat, Hyatt Dia, Hertz PC, National EE, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by dwbf11 View Post
I'm going to disagree with the above posters. There is no reason you cannot haul dirt (or anything else that might be dirty/large/etc) in a rental pickup. And it's cheaper to use a rental pickup than a U-Haul, Lowe's, or Home Depot truck, all of which charge you by the mile. It is for this reason the rental companies all spec their pickups with bedliners (and not plain metal beds).

I frequently get pickups from my local HLE, and this particular HLE rents out its pickups to contractors and construction companies all the time. On many occasions when I go to pick up (no pun intended) there are woodchips or other mulch scraps in the beds.

It probably would be a good idea to hose it out and vacuum inside if you really mess it up. I would be extra careful with shovels/rakes etc because dents and scratches ARE the kind of damage you can get in trouble for.

I also wouldn't recommend using the truck for towing anything (does not sound like you will), which is expressly forbidden by the rental agreement. Putting stuff in the bed and hauling is not.
The few times I rented a stick bed from Home Depot, they did not check mileage at all. They do, however, offer hourly rates in addition to daily. Depending on how long OP needs the truck, one may turn out to simply be cheaper than the other.

I don't doubt that you've found a HLE that doesn't mind their pickups being used for hauling, or that others may exist. But, I do agree with OP that in the DC area, most of the rental pickups I've seen are NOT spec'd with bedliners. They really are for people who just want to tool around town using a truck as a passenger vehicle, with no intention of using the bed.

I think OP should explore all the options on price/convenience/utility, and if Hertz or some other car rental agency makes the most sense, maybe inquire at the location how they expect their trucks to be treated. My guess is that it may even vary from location to location.
Old Aug 27, 12, 2:30 pm

No agency (or even U-Haul) will ever say, "Sure, Sir, please go use our vehicle and fill it with dirt! No problem at all!"

As for price, I suppose it does depend on his intended use. U-Haul charges $19.99/day + ..89/mile. Home Depot charges $19 for the first 75 minutes and then $69 per day. A National weekend rate of $14.99/day plus unlimited mileage makes a lot more sense as compared with those choices IMO, not to mention that you won't be stuck in a stripped out rattletrap.

I don't think the OP ever stated that DC-area trucks are not equipped with bed liners (unless that is how you read his comment "all the pickups i see are for prissy people to go to the downtown hotel.") Every full-size pickup (Dodge Ram, Nissan Titan, Ford F-150, Chevrolet Silverado) I have ever seen or rented in a rental fleet in the US in the past few years (that's 50+ rental locations nationwide) will have some sort of plastic bedliner. That is an option box that will always be ticked by the fleet managers because they don't want to return the trucks at the end of their service life with all sorts of gouges and damage to the bed.

Fact is that there is nothing in the contract or otherwise against the rules if OP chooses to use a rental agency pickup for hauling dirt, which is what his original question was. Common sense dictates not to return it looking like it went to the mud pits, but otherwise there is nothing wrong with doing what he is asking to do.
Old Aug 27, 12, 3:00 pm
Original Poster
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Originally Posted by dwbf11 View Post
Home Depot charges $19 for the first 75 minutes and then $69 per day. A National weekend rate of $14.99/day plus unlimited mileage makes a lot more sense as compared with those choices IMO, not to mention that you won't be stuck in a stripped out rattletrap.
who charges the 14.99 a day for weekend rate? home depot? sorry, i'm confused. i plan to haul pretty clean top soil from the nursery 3 miles from my house. they sell a scoop(front end loader) for $25 or so. is about a yard. is a lot easier to move off a truck to the wheelbarrow than to shovel it in to the barrow off the ground. if i can get a std sized truck, no dually, i can bring it down one level into the back yard, and off load with no wheel barrow at all, and no 15' hill to keep climbing
Old Aug 27, 12, 3:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
A tarp at places like Harbor Freight to go in the back of the truck would be like $5 or $7. Even if the truck has a liner, the time it saves in cleaning up would be more than worth it.
Old Aug 27, 12, 3:27 pm
Original Poster
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
A tarp at places like Harbor Freight to go in the back of the truck would be like $5 or $7. Even if the truck has a liner, the time it saves in cleaning up would be more than worth it.
great idea. thanks.
Old Aug 27, 12, 3:31 pm

$14.99 is what National Car Rental is charging this weekend at DTW airport. I used that as an example that it can often be cheaper to rent a pickup from a rental car agency than to use U-Haul or Home Depot. There are often specials at other National locations as well.

You won't find any heavy-duty pickups (i.e., Dually) in the rental fleets. You are most likely to find a Dodge Ram 1500, Nissan Titan V8, Ford F-150, or Chevy Silverado.
Old Aug 27, 12, 8:28 pm

Programs: Airline/TSA Avoidance Platinum, Hotel Disloyalty Silver, Hertz 1.7*
I'd be a little wary of using a car rental agency pickup or even a U-Haul pickup for serious dirty work. Closest I've ever come is getting a cargo van from Enterprise once. With 100 or 150 miles included it came out much better than the U-Haul cargo van (despite being 50 bucks or so vs the U-Haul's $20 starting price), and at least back then they let us drop it off after closing on Saturday afternoon and only charged one day. My only really stellar Enterprise experience. We didn't put any dirt in that though, just used it to haul furniture and stuff.

Anyway, to the dirty work. I used a Home Depot truck to get a couple loads of gravel a few weeks ago. No problem. It's a pretty good deal although you do have to watch because it often doesn't take too long (a few hours) before you reach the cost of delivery, assuming the supply place is close to you.

The trucks I've seen here are F350s so a bit heavier duty, and they are limited to 3000 pounds payload with an alarm. The guys at the landscape supply where I went though told me plenty of stories of people overloading them and driving off, heh. I played it safe and got one bucket of gravel at a time because they were supposed to weigh over a ton each.

It's a flatbed but it has dropdown sides and back. So with the sides up (they're about a foot tall or maybe 15") it was fine to hold a load of loose material and also much wider than a typical pickup bed (and no incursion of wheel wells) so holds plenty.

I forget what they told me the overage was supposed to cost, I thought they said $5 for every 15 minutes, but I had the truck out for 2 hours and my total cost was only just over $30. They say to replace the gas too; I put a couple gallons in it. They don't care about miles, I put over 30 miles on it. Thing is, if I had planned out ahead I could have had delivery of the two buckets for not much more and not had to unload that stuff. Ugh. The only thing I gained with the truck was the ability to get it over and done with on a Sunday morning.

The Lowe's truck works the same way pricing and mileage wise but the one they have here has mesh sides and an opening in one spot, which didn't look like it would work as well as the HD truck's solid sides for hauling loose material. Shoving the gravel out of this thing was obviously pretty hard on it scratching, and this was a new truck with only about 4000 miles, but that isn't a concern when you get a truck from these places.

To bring it back to Hertz for a final thought, if you have a Hertz Equipment Rental, they usually rent dump trucks. Some other equipment rentals probably do as well but around here it seems like slimmer pickings. If you would otherwise be getting multiple loads in a pickup or Home Depot truck that you'd have to unload manually, the dump could be a great time and back saver. Or, if you have a suitable tow vehicle (SUV, for example, since you obviously don't have a pickup), you could consider renting a dump trailer from Hertz Equipment or any number of other places like Sunbelt, etc.

Last edited by CrazyOne; Aug 27, 12 at 8:36 pm
Old Aug 28, 12, 1:44 am

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by cordelli View Post
It will also protect against scratches.

Fair or not, I think that any scratches into the paint (past the clearcoat) are potentially subject to damage charges.

Another option: I have hauled lots of odd stuff in the trunk
of a rental car (dirt, mulch, wood chips, etc.. A large trunk can hold a lot. Use a tarp if need be, and vacuum it at the corner car wash.

No worries about scratches. Never a problem with damages. And finally a good use for a Grand Marquis.
Old Aug 28, 12, 3:26 am

Programs: Bee Six, DL KM, Hertz 5*, Carlson Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Silver, Greyhound Road Rwds
Originally Posted by Rut Dog View Post
It will also protect against scratches.

Fair or not, I think that any scratches into the paint (past the clearcoat) are potentially subject to damage charges.

Another option: I have hauled lots of odd stuff in the trunk
of a rental car (dirt, mulch, wood chips, etc.. A large trunk can hold a lot. Use a tarp if need be, and vacuum it at the corner car wash.

No worries about scratches. Never a problem with damages. And finally a good use for a Grand Marquis.
When you carry a lot of dirt, it isn't a light load. I'm not sure a Grand Marquis would be able to move with a trunk nearly full of dirt. Imagine how far it would sink with its suspension!

-J.
Old Aug 28, 12, 10:53 am
Original Poster
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Originally Posted by jzweighaft View Post
When you carry a lot of dirt, it isn't a light load. I'm not sure a Grand Marquis would be able to move with a trunk nearly full of dirt. Imagine how far it would sink with its suspension!

-J.
i have a sequoia. cannot get a front end loader into the back end of it. i have hauled about 15 rolls of sod once. as i recall, it has a load limit well over a ton.

Search this Thread