New policy on Hertz after hours drops

Old Mar 16, 07, 5:08 pm

Programs: Hertz
New policy on Hertz after hours drops

Just a head's up. Effective March 23, when dropping off at a closed location with a drop box, the charges will continue to incur until the location's opening time.
Old Mar 16, 07, 6:40 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, National Exec, Avis First, Hilton Gold
This is dumb. That would be enough for me to do national all the time. I get there at 12:15am because of traffic, lets say, and it get charged till 6am. bah!
Old Mar 16, 07, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL Gold, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DWilliamson5002 View Post
This is dumb. That would be enough for me to do national all the time. I get there at 12:15am because of traffic, lets say, and it get charged till 6am. bah!
Too bad 99.9% of Nationals locations are airports and are open 24 hours! Ive been able to rip off Hertz enough, their finally getting revenge...
Old Mar 16, 07, 7:58 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, National Exec, Avis First, Hilton Gold
Yep I know that is why I am going to go with them all of the time.
Old Mar 16, 07, 10:10 pm
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Marriott LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by kevs View Post
Just a head's up. Effective March 23, when dropping off at a closed location with a drop box, the charges will continue to incur until the location's opening time.
I'm okay with this in general - if an exception is made when locations operate shorter hours on a particular day. For example, if a location is open 9AM-5PM six days a week but decides to close at 2PM on Sunday, then this policy should be waived for returns between 2PM and 5PM on Sunday.

Could I theoretically return the car at 8AM Monday and write down that I returned it at 3PM Sunday? I suppose, but (a) it's not like they could have rented it back out again, and (b) my local HLE has video cameras everywhere as I assume most of them do, so it'd be easy enough for them to check.

If the location operates identical hours all 7 days, then this policy seems okay to me as long as they communicate clearly that if you choose to rent right at closing time, you effectively have lost your 29 minute grace period.
Old Mar 16, 07, 10:56 pm

Programs: Hertz
Most HLE's close early on Saturday (usually 12 or 1 pm) and are closed all day on Sunday. So this will mostly affect renters who would need to return on Saturday evening or Sunday. If you returned on Saturday evening, you would basically have to pay for an extra two days, until Monday morning.
Old Mar 17, 07, 1:02 am

Programs: Former DL EP (Sigh, RIP) now GM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, Nurburgring in 8:29
How hard would it be to make a key drop box similar to a Muni Meter that you see in most major cities? You drop your key in and have to punch in a code of some sort (like your Gold number for example). It's then time stamped so you don't rack up a 5-8 more hours.
Old Mar 20, 07, 2:13 pm

date might be April 1 per my converstion with Hertz Gold Desk

I called to confirm this today and was told it was April 1, 2007 for this to begin. I guess I'll confirm on pickup this weekend whether it applies this week or only the following

YMMV
Old Sep 24, 07, 3:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, US Dirt
Did anyone ever confirm if this applies to HLEs that are closed on Sunday? Would you end up having to pay for 2 extra days?
Old Sep 24, 07, 7:21 pm

Programs: Frontier Summit, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jfunk138 View Post
Did anyone ever confirm if this applies to HLEs that are closed on Sunday? Would you end up having to pay for 2 extra days?
I just did a HLE Saturday 9:00AM to Sunday 9:00AM rental where the HLE is closed on Sunday. I got charged as returning at Monday 7:00AM. I called CS and they are crediting me for a day as a "one time exception".

I wish the web reservation system wouldn't allow the single day rental when it is impossible under their rental rules.

My only future options for a Saturday only rental will be the Downtown location or the airport. On a dummy booking for renting from my nearest HLE and dropping off downtown on Sunday the rate tripled.

Search this Thread