Go Back > >
Old Nov 6, 17, 10:24 pm #1
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz *****
NYC to CPH - creative routing with reasonable costs in C/J?

I have learned of an upcoming work trip in December (week of 12/11) to CPH.

Since my gf is likely coming with, I would like to see if there is any creative routing which can be done to keep the price as reasonable as possible.

My research so far:

1) Nonstop flights with SAS are pricey and out of running.

2) I can use Sky Team with a stopover flight in CDG or AMS for $3K+ (R/T pricing). Can also stop over for a day or two (12/9 + 12/10) in CDG or AMS for a few hundred dollars more.

3) TK can be had for around $2,300+ - I think transiting through IST is not an issue for US citizens despite the spat? (though I haven't been keeping up with the latest development.

4) LOT is just under $3K, but the schedule is not ideal. Also, don't have any experience with the airline.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Repooc17 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 10:33 pm #2

Programs: UA, SPG, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I don't find short flights, East Coast USA to Western Europe, to generally be worth it in J. The flight time just isn't enough to get a good value in my opinion. Extra time in AMS would be good in my eyes but honestly I'd take the savings between J & PE if possible and use that to get some nice hotels and experiences in the city. Paris is a great experience for couples but I just prefer Amsterdam.

The option of flying to IST would generally appeal to me as I like to spend time in Istanbul but with the current problems that lessens the appeal. The time in J is longer so you'd get a more full experience. But you're also flying far past your destination to backtrack without a layover which to some may not be appealing. I'm talking about your GF...

I haven't flown LOT J but hear decent things in general but that doesn't make up for the relatively short flying time, domestic J hop to CPH & the poor timing.

If you & your GF like the flying aspect I'd go with TK. If you like the stopover idea I'd think about PE and going to Amsterdam.
Yoshi212 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 7:17 am #3

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
SK's PE is a decent product for a NYC-CPH direct flight, especially if it's a daytime one. Saves a ton of time and some money.
WilcoRoger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 9:29 am #4
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
LOT out of Toronto (YYZ) is under US$2K in business class; TAP (Portuguese) out of YYZ is around US$2150; a separate RT in J from NYC to YYZ is around $400 on Delta or others. Adds some hours for sure, but might be of interest. You could stop in Lisbon for a day or two at no extra cost.

TR Lot - http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...w-york-warsaw/

TAP - https://thepointsguy.com/2016/06/tap...30-biz-review/
Gardyloo is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 3:53 am #5

Programs: SK EBB, TK*S, BA Bronze, HH G
Don't over-do/think this - it is such a short fly. Book a PE ticket on the direct SAS flight. Your gf will be fine; PE is very decent on SAS
BearX220 likes this.
SK AAR is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 3:56 am #6
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
I have learned of an upcoming work trip in December (week of 12/11) to CPH.

Since my gf is likely coming with, I would like to see if there is any creative routing which can be done to keep the price as reasonable as possible.

My research so far:

1) Nonstop flights with SAS are pricey and out of running.

2) I can use Sky Team with a stopover flight in CDG or AMS for $3K+ (R/T pricing). Can also stop over for a day or two (12/9 + 12/10) in CDG or AMS for a few hundred dollars more.

3) TK can be had for around $2,300+ - I think transiting through IST is not an issue for US citizens despite the spat? (though I haven't been keeping up with the latest development.

4) LOT is just under $3K, but the schedule is not ideal. Also, don't have any experience with the airline.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Norwegian can be relatively cheap, and it has non-stop flights between New York and Copenhagen. But if the point is to acquire some airline status and miles of greater use, then that won't do much good.

The connection via AMS on the way to CPH from NYC is smoothest of the routes you mentioned -- at least when considering what it means in terms of security screening lines and passport control lines and how things work out in the event of IRROPS.

Going via IST or WAW is not what I would generally recommend even for those wanting to maximize their FFP gain.

Have you looked into booking travel packages that combine premium cabin airfare with hotels? That can save some serious money and still have you booked in a premium cabin -- that too on routes that don't involve going to Eastern Europe or the crossroads of Europe and Asia to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
SK's PE is a decent product for a NYC-CPH direct flight, especially if it's a daytime one. Saves a ton of time and some money.
SK has a daytime NYC-CPH flight? And if there even were such a flight, I have some doubts that it would save money since that may mean spending a night in a hotel in an area where decent hotels' rates may be very high and other costs aren't all that cheap either.

I fly from the US to CPH a lot, and I can't recall flying a daytime NYC-CPH flight at any point in the past 10 years.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 8, 17 at 4:11 am
GUWonder is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:31 am #7

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post
SK has a daytime NYC-CPH flight? And if there even were such a flight, I have some doubts that it would save money since that may mean spending a night in a hotel in an area where decent hotels' rates may be very high and other costs aren't all that cheap either.

I fly from the US to CPH a lot, and I can't recall flying a daytime NYC-CPH flight at any point in the past 10 years.
I don't know. I only flew them CPH->EWR, that I seem to recall was a daytime flight and very decent PremEco product, upgraded at the gate for SK points (probably best use ever of SK points for me - especially as the underlying ticket was also SK redemption )

For night flights it'd be still decent, especially taking into account the massive time and (possible) money savings.
WilcoRoger is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:38 am #8
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger View Post
I don't know. I only flew them CPH->EWR, that I seem to recall was a daytime flight and very decent PremEco product, upgraded at the gate for SK points (probably best use ever of SK points for me - especially as the underlying ticket was also SK redemption )

For night flights it'd be still decent, especially taking into account the massive time and (possible) money savings.
CPH-US are daytime flights on SK, at least all of those that I've taken. But US-CPH as daytime flights on SK? Haven't flown such a thing at least in the past ten years; and as I live on these routes I would have thought I would have encountered such a thing if they exist. Maybe SK has had some daytime IRROPs from NYC-CPH, but I've not been on any of those.
GUWonder is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:50 am #9

Programs: SK EBB, TK*S, BA Bronze, HH G
There is no US -> Scandinavia day time flights. Period.
SK AAR is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 9:26 pm #10
Original Poster

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz *****
Thanks for all of the feedback, everyone!

SAS in PE is still quite high, especially non-stop flights:

In the dates I am looking at (December 8 - December 17)

1) non-stop both ways = $2,846 (this is not going to get approved by work).
2) non-stop outbound; 1-stop layover inbound = $1,865 - $1,920 (I may need to do some "selling" for reimbursement of this to go through).

How's PE on Norwegian? It has a non-stop outbound and 1-stop layover in bound for as low as $1,179.
Repooc17 is offline Reply With Quote