Go Back > > >
Old Nov 8, 17, 11:50 pm #1
2017 FT Secret Santa
Original Poster

Programs: AA; Delta SM
Taxis in Catania

Hi! Our final destination on our next trip is Catania in Sicily. Anything I need to know ahead of time about taking a taxi from the airport to our hotel? Logos to pick? Avoid?

Thanks in advance! :-)
aquamarinesteph is online now Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 3:03 am #2
Moderator: Italy

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
You just need to make sure you are in an official taxi. There are several companies. The largest one is Radiotaxi. They are white. The have a taxi sign on the roof. There will be an identifying number on one of the doors, usually the driver side door. It will have a meter. Some companies have the same type of car, except it is yellow. You don't necessarily need to go with logos. You just need to go to the official taxi stand, and get a regular taxi with the above characteristics. No meter, don't go in. No Identifying number on door, don't get it. No sign that says taxi on the roof, don't get in. You're not going to have a problem finding an official taxi at the airport.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Perche is offline Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:07 pm #3
2017 FT Secret Santa
Original Poster

Programs: AA; Delta SM
Thank you! I have read about finding official and unofficial taxis, and I just wanted to make sure I knew what to look for. I'm not expecting any problems. I love Italy! But I'll be getting off the overnight flight from the US with little sleep, so I figure it's better to ask first and make sure.

Thanks again!
aquamarinesteph is online now Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:57 pm #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph View Post
Thank you! I have read about finding official and unofficial taxis, and I just wanted to make sure I knew what to look for. I'm not expecting any problems. I love Italy! But I'll be getting off the overnight flight from the US with little sleep, so I figure it's better to ask first and make sure.

Thanks again!
Most, if not all cabs at stands at Italian airports are official, legitimate taxis. Which, obviously, does not mean that there are zero chances that you'll get a surprise when you see the metre when you arrive at your destination. Mind you, I remember years ago in Naples when a Milanese friend of mine was heavily over-charged (3 times what she should have paid) from the airport into town, while two days later we rode together an illegal taxi to the airport, which was cheaper than the normal price! Italy!
KLouis is offline Reply With Quote
Old Today, 9:48 am #5
Moderator: Italy

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
You can't arrive to NYC JFK without having 5 guys with illegitimate taxis rush you as you head towards the exit door. Just do what you would do in NYC; ignore them, and go to a taxi stand. Taxis are much less of a problem in Italy than in America.

In Italy, if someone offers you a ride, just ignore them and head to a taxi stand. As in NYC, SFO, LAX, ORD, or anywhere in the world, you can get a bad driver. Being a little armed is the best you can do. Everyone who does business can speak a little english in Catania. In your case, all you need to do is ask how much. In your case, they should respond, depending on where your hotel is, about 25-30 euros. That's just common sense, and is all you need to do, if you land for example in Newark airport and want to go to Manhattan.
Perche is offline Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:22 pm #6
Cpi-Web Evangelist

ask your hotel to provide transport. ours cost 25 euro, and we were serviced by a stretch MB. same car and driver on return to airport a week later. loved the place. food and wine are great.

went from there to palermo. provided taxi was 40 euro, i think. long trip. well worth the cost.
slawecki is offline Reply With Quote