Go Back > > >
Old Oct 8, 17, 1:08 pm #1
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze IHG Gold Hilton Silver
Seoul and the DMZ

Hi im probably going to be in Seoul for 3/4 days in early November apart from wanting to go to see the DMZ is there anything else that you guys would recommend going to see in the city? Thanks!
ceej123 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 17, 8:35 pm #2

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
If the weather is nice, these are enjoyable outdoor pursuits:
Spend a few hours walking around Bukchon Hanok Village area and explore a palace or two (Gyeongbok Palace, Changdeok Palace are both in that same area).
Rent a bike at the river side park near Ttukseom Resort subway station and ride along the river trail or just hang out with the locals there.
Explore Namdaemum Street Markets and sample the street food.
Hike or take the cable car up Namsan.
Near Gyeongbok Palace, is the Folk Museum, it's free and worthy of an hour or two.
mrjay is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 17, 8:48 pm #3
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Walk along the creek. There's a design center at the far end.

See some temples, including the big one across the river near CODEX.

I liked the museum of contemporary history which IIRC is free and open on Monday.

Art museums are interesting, especially those focusing on Korean or Asian art. They seem to generally be closed on Mondays but do stay open late one evening and are free or cheap then.

Look for special events in the square in front of city hall and the major street from there going up toward the palace.
MSPeconomist is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 17, 9:10 pm #4

Those are good suggestions.

If you like seafood, you might consider visiting Noryangjin Fish Market. It's been renovated, and I confess, I only visited prior to the renovation (last time in 2015), but it's very interesting for a few hours. Get some food while you're there.

If you want to get out and about, back in the day I went out to see Freedom Park in Incheon, which isn't far from Wolmido, a location which figured prominently in the landings in 1950. IME getting out and about is good, and you don't need a major attraction to consider a particular destination. Joy is in the journey more than in the destination, this park has some backstory.

Trip Advisor has a long list of possibilities; you might get some inspiration from that, or from Life In Korea.

If you're looking for something more active, but don't want to cycle, you can hike. There are many places all around Seoul. I've hiked to Dae Nam Mun a couple of times, once in the winter and once in the fall, which is on the outskirts of the northern part of Seoul. It's just an example, but you can get out and see the fall colors.

Finally, you might consider hiring a local.
zippy the pinhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 17, 10:23 pm #5
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Instead of paying for a "local" tour guide, there's a service at ICN that matches visitors with locals who volunteer based on interests. You pay only for the volunteer's public transportation and admission fees.
MSPeconomist is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 17, 10:51 am #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Instead of paying for a "local" tour guide, there's a service at ICN that matches visitors with locals who volunteer based on interests. You pay only for the volunteer's public transportation and admission fees.
If I'm there for a couple of weeks, I'd be good to explore volunteer-provided services, but if I'm only there 3-4 days, I'm not interested in trying to match my schedule with folks who may not be available when I need them. You get what you pay for.

Too, while driving/parking can be a real pain there, and public transportation can be really good, if I'm short on time I'd be down with a local driving me around.

In my experience, westerners accustomed to the door-to-door driving lifestyle common in North America find the amount of walking they often do in Seoul to be a rude awakening. I'm not saying it is a bad thing, just a surprise, maybe unpleasant.
Old Oct 9, 17, 6:27 pm #7
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Bronze IHG Gold Hilton Silver
Thanks these look great will be sure to check out the local tour guides!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead View Post
In my experience, westerners accustomed to the door-to-door driving lifestyle common in North America find the amount of walking they often do in Seoul to be a rude awakening. I'm not saying it is a bad thing, just a surprise, maybe unpleasant.
This wont be a problem living in London! You dont get anywhere fast driving here!
ceej123 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 17, 4:22 pm #8

Programs: Oneworld Emerald, Sixt Platinum, Etihad Gold
One thing to keep in mind for the DMZ: book your tour as early as possible. When I visited, I was super late and just got the very last spot among all official DMZ tour operators.
The_Mileonaire is offline Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 17, 4:20 am #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjay View Post
Hike or take the cable car up Namsan.
Along those lines, OP could visit N Seoul Tower (http://english.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/...jsp?cid=264550).
cwerdna is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 17, 7:30 am #10

Programs: AA LT Plat 2.9 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy the pinhead View Post
Those are good suggestions.

If you like seafood, you might consider visiting Noryangjin Fish Market. It's been renovated, and I confess, I only visited prior to the renovation (last time in 2015), but it's very interesting for a few hours. Get some food while you're there.

If you want to get out and about, back in the day I went out to see Freedom Park in Incheon, which isn't far from Wolmido, a location which figured prominently in the landings in 1950. IME getting out and about is good, and you don't need a major attraction to consider a particular destination. Joy is in the journey more than in the destination, this park has some backstory.

Trip Advisor has a long list of possibilities; you might get some inspiration from that, or from Life In Korea.

If you're looking for something more active, but don't want to cycle, you can hike. There are many places all around Seoul. I've hiked to Dae Nam Mun a couple of times, once in the winter and once in the fall, which is on the outskirts of the northern part of Seoul. It's just an example, but you can get out and see the fall colors.

Finally, you might consider hiring a local.
We are going to Seoul next month. I love the freedom park suggestion. Thanks.
worldiswide is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 2:18 am #11

Programs: AA, DL, UA Gold, HHonors Silver
If you like old fortresses (and walking), you can also take the train from Seoul down to Suwon and visit Hwaesong fortress. It makes a nice day trip, and it is a UNESCO WH site if you are interested.
etch5895 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 6:27 am #12

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Korean Air SkyPass, Asiana Club, AA Advantage
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldiswide View Post
If you are going to be in Seoul proper, just know that Incheon City itself is faaaaaaaaar like 1 hr or more depending on where you are coming from. Itís a long way to go for a park. Instead, try Olympic Park in Jamsil. Itís huge and adequately feels spacious. Or just head to the Han River, ride a bike and enjoy the skyline.
mikesaidyes is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 12:09 pm #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldiswide View Post
If you are looking for food around an unfamiliar area in Seoul, try MangoPlate.

Personally, if I went out to Incheon in cold weather, I'd be looking for a decent meal, some hot soup or stew, and I'd have the MangoPlate app on my phone.
Old Nov 6, 17, 8:50 pm #14

Programs: AA LT Plat 2.9 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Thanks for all the good advice. We have been Seoul once before.. in warmer weather and have seen some of the top sights, so always looking for some of the more off the beaten path ideas.
worldiswide is offline Reply With Quote