Go Back > > >
Old Nov 4, 17, 8:09 pm #1
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP,AL MVPG,UA Pr Plat,LH,SQ,SPG Plat,HH Gold,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Fairmont
Question Advice re upcoming flights

I'd previously gotten some great advice here regarding Korean vs China Airlines for an upcoming business class trip from San Francisco to Yangon. (Thanks again!) It took some time to finalize the contract, so now China's flights have gone up in price and I'm definitely flying Korean (not that I'm complaining!).

So I have a different set of questions:

1. It would be a one-hour connection in ICN on the outbound. I've been through ICN before and know that both the airport and Korean are pretty efficient, but I've never been on that tight a connection. Good chance that I'll make the onward flight to RGN?
2. I have some SkyPass miles I could use to upgrade to F. Is it worth it, including if I get the better version of Prestige J on the 777-300R on SFO-ICN?
3. If I decide to upgrade just one way, I assume it's better to do it westbound for the longer flight. Does that sound right or is there something in terms of food or service that weighs in favor of eastbound? (Daytime flights both ways.)
4. I've seen lots of posts advising that Korean can always change the type of 777-3000ER it uses. But is it more likely to use the better version on SFO-ICN-SFO? Someone addressed that matter in the previous thread I'd started, but I wasn't totally clear on the answer.
5. On the way back, I'd have an 8.5 hour layover in ICN, about 7:30 am-4 pm. Will the airline put me up in a hotel for my layover? And if so, which one?

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by Thunderroad; Nov 5, 17 at 1:56 am
Thunderroad is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 17, 7:03 pm #2

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderroad View Post
I'd previously gotten some great advice here regarding Korean vs China Airlines for an upcoming business class trip from San Francisco to Yangon. (Thanks again!) It took some time to finalize the contract, so now China's flights have gone up in price and I'm definitely flying Korean (not that I'm complaining!).

So I have a different set of questions:

1. It would be a one-hour connection in ICN on the outbound. I've been through ICN before and know that both the airport and Korean are pretty efficient, but I've never been on that tight a connection. Good chance that I'll make the onward flight to RGN?
2. I have some SkyPass miles I could use to upgrade to F. Is it worth it, including if I get the better version of Prestige J on the 777-300R on SFO-ICN?
3. If I decide to upgrade just one way, I assume it's better to do it westbound for the longer flight. Does that sound right or is there something in terms of food or service that weighs in favor of eastbound? (Daytime flights both ways.)
4. I've seen lots of posts advising that Korean can always change the type of 777-3000ER it uses. But is it more likely to use the better version on SFO-ICN-SFO? Someone addressed that matter in the previous thread I'd started, but I wasn't totally clear on the answer.
5. On the way back, I'd have an 8.5 hour layover in ICN, about 7:30 am-4 pm. Will the airline put me up in a hotel for my layover? And if so, which one?

Thanks for any help!

Just my opinion:

1 Hour is very tight- Obviously it can be done w/o any delays. A few major delays that can happen- You're origin airport- where are you flying out of? Are they notorious for having delays ie; LAX? If you fly out of SFO, Fog can delay- So any delay will cause you to stress. Not to mention the security you need to go through again at ICN.

2. Yes, F is worth it- KE J- not that great unless it's on the 747-8- So yes, upgrade to F if you have the miles.

3. totally your choice- No difference in food except if one is a redeye- All depends what you want-

4. KE is notorious for equip swaps.... Just keep that in mind-

5. Not sure about this- But I strongly doubt it- It's not an overnight layover.. Go explore ICN for a few hours... If you havent before- The lounges in ICN are pretty bland--
get0ffdanutzz is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 17, 7:28 pm #3
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP,AL MVPG,UA Pr Plat,LH,SQ,SPG Plat,HH Gold,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Fairmont
Quote:
Originally Posted by get0ffdanutzz View Post
Just my opinion:

1 Hour is very tight- Obviously it can be done w/o any delays. A few major delays that can happen- You're origin airport- where are you flying out of? Are they notorious for having delays ie; LAX? If you fly out of SFO, Fog can delay- So any delay will cause you to stress. Not to mention the security you need to go through again at ICN.

2. Yes, F is worth it- KE J- not that great unless it's on the 747-8- So yes, upgrade to F if you have the miles.

3. totally your choice- No difference in food except if one is a redeye- All depends what you want-

4. KE is notorious for equip swaps.... Just keep that in mind-

5. Not sure about this- But I strongly doubt it- It's not an overnight layover.. Go explore ICN for a few hours... If you havent before- The lounges in ICN are pretty bland--
Thanks very much! Flying out of SFO, which usually prioritizes international flights - but you're right, they can be delayed anyway.

Am I correct in understanding that I can't upgrade from J to F if my J ticket is discount business?
Old Nov 5, 17, 7:31 pm #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderroad View Post
Thanks very much! Flying out of SFO, which usually prioritizes international flights - but you're right, they can be delayed anyway.

Am I correct in understanding that I can't upgrade from J to F if my J ticket is discount business?

Cannot help you with that question, not too familiar with KE upgrades. But let us know how your flight is. I will be taking the a380 F on the 17th.
Old Nov 5, 17, 7:45 pm #5
Original Poster

Quote:
Cannot help you with that question, not too familiar with KE upgrades. But let us know how your flight is. I will be taking the a380 F on the 17th.
Understood. Have a great trip!
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:32 pm #6

Quote:
Just my opinion:

Dumb question but I booked a SFO->ICN->BKK J on one KE ticket. Layover in ICN is 3 hours and I would have to go through security there after I land even if it's same terminal?
Ultraboost is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 2:13 am #7

Yes have to go through security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraboost View Post
Dumb question but I booked a SFO->ICN->BKK J on one KE ticket. Layover in ICN is 3 hours and I would have to go through security there after I land even if it's same terminal?
HawaiiO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 2:16 am #8

I feel the new Prestige class on the 777 is very good especially in row 7 which is a single row between F and the Biz galley.
Very private feel with just one row of seats.
Old Nov 7, 17, 4:13 am #9

Programs: Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiO View Post
I feel the new Prestige class on the 777 is very good especially in row 7 which is a single row between F and the Biz galley.
Very private feel with just one row of seats.
I was on this place a couple weeks ago. I had the choice of row 7 having seen it on Seatguru. I asked the agent at check-in at SFO and she seemed to think it was sort of too closed in.
I prefer the open cabin so I stayed in 14.

Once on the ac, I was glad I did not change. If you want privacy, it's nice, but I think you may me ignored also.

BTW, the window is much nicer than aisle in their offset config. In any case, both are nice setups.
wxman22 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 7:37 pm #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraboost View Post

Yes, but you have plenty of time..
Old Nov 8, 17, 9:11 am #11

Quote:
Yes, but you have plenty of time..
Thanks. I was planning to do some exploring (not enough time for a tour) and to check out a couple lounges. I hope the line won't be too long.
Ultraboost is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 1:41 pm #12

ICN airport has an excellent cultural center where a foreigner can make a traditional Korean souvenir item.
Could be a small print, a small varnished closet, a fan etc
Need to have at least an hour before boarding(they check boarding pass).
Highly recommend that.