Go Back > > >
Old Nov 6, 17, 5:36 pm #1
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
LATAM carry-on enforcement

I've been completely and utterly daft and booked a LATAM flight from MIA to SCL connecting from a BA flight. I forgot that carry-on entitlements are not covered within IATA rules.

So while I will not be carrying over-the-top number of bags, I have a sinking feeling that the combined weight of my 2 pieces of carry-on bags will exceed the 8kgs allowed. I was planning a wheelie and a squishable rucksack to avoid checking in bags due to a rather short connection at SCL.

How likely will one of my bags be taken off me at MIA? Any tips on how best to avoid it? If it helps, I'm travelling J as BA Gold (but keen to avoid a "DYKWIA" moment)

Thanks...
jdtravels is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 5:45 pm #2

Programs: AA LT Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtravels View Post
I've been completely and utterly daft and booked a LATAM flight from MIA to SCL connecting from a BA flight. I forgot that carry-on entitlements are not covered within IATA rules.

So while I will not be carrying over-the-top number of bags, I have a sinking feeling that the combined weight of my 2 pieces of carry-on bags will exceed the 8kgs allowed. I was planning a wheelie and a squishable rucksack to avoid checking in bags due to a rather short connection at SCL.

How likely will one of my bags be taken off me at MIA? Any tips on how best to avoid it? If it helps, I'm travelling J as BA Gold (but keen to avoid a "DYKWIA" moment)

Thanks...
You say you are flying J on LATAM? Then why sweat it?
Business allows a 16Kg (35lbs) carry-on.

I am not sure what good makes to you to learn about anecdotal evidence of weighing carry-ons at MIA or not. The rules are the rules.
I have never experienced carry on weighing in the US
BUT, if they are checking carry-ons at the gate, be 100% sure that they will make you check it if above weight limit. Arguing or pulling out your BA or Costco gold card won't help at all.

Tips: Don't hang out by the gate, check-in online, avoid agents.
Plan B: be ready to check your carry-on if it exceeds the allowed weight and have a second one where you can transfer your must-have in cabin items to. Not the end of the world.

Last edited by carlosdca; Nov 6, 17 at 5:55 pm
carlosdca is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 17, 6:49 pm #3
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The LA sizers also have scales built into them. My experience (none in MIA) has been that if the bag looks too big it is going in the sizer/scale. Also, some check-in agents will weigh your cabin baggage at check in.

I haven't recently seen any enforcement in the boarding area of the J cabin during J boarding.
Eastbay1K is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 3:27 pm #4
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdtravels View Post

Thanks...
Is there any of the heavy stuff that's small enough to fit in a traveler "vest" that's designed for such situations (with zillions of pockets)? While such a "vest" won't help at security, it could help at any weighing stations at the airport (which will be someplace other than security). For example, a photographer might put some small but heavy lenses in a "photo vest" everywhere but at security (and once on the plane).
sdsearch is offline Reply With Quote