Go Back > > >
Old Feb 28, 13, 3:18 am #1
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Silver, BAEC Gold (OWE), Hyatt
MH Chef on call worth it?

I haven't flown MH before and I have a J class long haul flight coming up. Compared to the usual onboard J offerings, do you think chef on call is worth it?
sxc is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 13, 5:45 am #2
Suspended

What do you mean by 'worth it' when you don't have to pay extra for this privilege ?

While I don't find the choices to be spectacular, at least I am assured of my choice inadvance rather than to be told your choice is not available.
mario33 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 13, 7:53 pm #3
sxc
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

I guess by "worth it", I mean, are the chef on call choices better than the standard menu?
Old Feb 28, 13, 9:58 pm #4

It is definitely worth it. Better choice and a wider one as well. More importantly they are delicious.

Henry
henry.tan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 13, 8:25 am #5
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: T.A.
Yes I agree
Guy Betsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 13, 8:48 pm #6
sxc
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Has anyone managed to be able to order meals via the website? I've entered my details, but just get the semi dark "waiting" screen.
Old Mar 1, 13, 9:52 pm #7
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
Has anyone managed to be able to order meals via the website? I've entered my details, but just get the semi dark "waiting" screen.
Yes I have. Received an email 48hr before departure, did my order for both outbound and return sectors (didn't give me the option of delaying my order for return sector which I would have preferred since I won't know how my taste buds would be behaving so far in advance)
mario33 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 5:24 pm #8

Programs: QF WP LTS, HHonors Diamond, VA NP
Flying MEL-KUL-LHR next week and return at the beginning of May, I was looking at booking this service and have some (very rudimentary!) questions ...

• All of the dishes on the menu appear to be "mains" so I take it, you're still served satays and/or entrees and desert in addition to your booked meal?
  • On multi-meal long hauls (LHR-KUL) where there are traditionally two meals served (late lunch and breakfast for the morning/lunch departure) are there any restrictions as to what can be booked for which meal eg no issues booking a steak for breakfast??
  • Lastly - scanning the menu, I feel spoilt for choice! Are there any stand-out dishes which those who have used the service would recommend?

Regards,

BD
BD1959 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 6:57 pm #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1959 View Post
Flying MEL-KUL-LHR next week and return at the beginning of May, I was looking at booking this service and have some (very rudimentary!) questions ...

• All of the dishes on the menu appear to be "mains" so I take it, you're still served satays and/or entrees and desert in addition to your booked meal?
  • On multi-meal long hauls (LHR-KUL) where there are traditionally two meals served (late lunch and breakfast for the morning/lunch departure) are there any restrictions as to what can be booked for which meal eg no issues booking a steak for breakfast??
  • Lastly - scanning the menu, I feel spoilt for choice! Are there any stand-out dishes which those who have used the service would recommend?

Regards,

BD
- Yes you will be still served satay and/or entrees and deserts with the pre-booked meal. I know if you are on MH 2 breakfast entree is muesli.

- There is no restrictions from what i am aware of when i last booked my meal for KUL-LHR-KUL.

- Wasn't a big fan of the cod fish but have tried the lamb, nasi lemak, spaghetti and lobster which was good. The menu might have changed from when i last travel as they change it every 3 months.

Henry
henry.tan is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 8:18 pm #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry.tan View Post
- Yes you will be still served satay and/or entrees and deserts with the pre-booked meal. I know if you are on MH 2 breakfast entree is muesli.

- There is no restrictions from what i am aware of when i last booked my meal for KUL-LHR-KUL.

- Wasn't a big fan of the cod fish but have tried the lamb, nasi lemak, spaghetti and lobster which was good. The menu might have changed from when i last travel as they change it every 3 months.

Henry
Thanks Henry,

I'm actually on 128/4 and 3/129 - but they still cover breakfast somewhere in there (probably multiple times!!)

Lamb, nasi lemak and lobster all look like good options (the wife's italian so I'll not try anyone else's pasta!!) - does anyone know if these are catered out of the departure point or are they (for inbounds) in effect double-catered out of KL?

Regards,

BD
Old Apr 10, 13, 9:01 pm #11
Community Director

Here is the first class menu:

http://malaysiaairlines.com/cont...F/ccf-menu.pdf

Both the biz and the first menus load slowly - very very slowly.

From the MH website:
2. Meal(s) must be ordered within 30 days or at least 24 hours (GMT +8) before departure of the first flight in your itinerary. If your return flight is more than 30 days from the departure date, please email [email protected].

Earlier, a member reported difficulties in booking the meal he wanted on a non-MH issued ticket. Has that issue been resolved? (SQ does not have a similar requirement on its Book the Chef.)
SanDiego1K is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 13, 10:19 pm #12
sxc
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

The chef on call meal only applies to the "big" meal. So you can't book one of those dishes for breakfast.
Old Apr 11, 13, 2:32 am #13
Cpi-Web Evangelist

Programs: T.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
Here is the first class menu:

http://malaysiaairlines.com/cont...F/ccf-menu.pdf

Both the biz and the first menus load slowly - very very slowly.

From the MH website:
2. Meal(s) must be ordered within 30 days or at least 24 hours (GMT +8) before departure of the first flight in your itinerary. If your return flight is more than 30 days from the departure date, please email [email protected].

Earlier, a member reported difficulties in booking the meal he wanted on a non-MH issued ticket. Has that issue been resolved? (SQ does not have a similar requirement on its Book the Chef.)
Yes that has been resolved - as I had been the first person to have posed this situation for MH when I ordered Chef on Call on a non-MH ticket. After that a memo was sent throughout MH res offices and if you see the website, that requirement is no longer stated.

I ordered the lobster Thermidor for F and had it on the latter part of a KUL-LHR flight. It was good!

The website also isn't very clear on which sectors this service qualifies. It's not only ex-KUL, but also ex- those cities listed in reverse. I didn't order any ex-CDG though. And there was plenty of other choices onboard.
Guy Betsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 13, 7:24 am #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxc View Post
The chef on call meal only applies to the "big" meal. So you can't book one of those dishes for breakfast.
Really? There appear to be some very "breakfast-like" dishes in there ....

• Hotcakes with Orange Ragout - this is served as a "big meal main" followed by desert?
  • Vanilla Hotcakes - similar
  • The Scrambled Egg, Egg Roll and Omelette dishes look decidedly "breakfast-y"

and finally ....
  • The Breakfast Grill
  • Mediterranean Breakfast Grill - aren't breakfasts at all, but served as part of the "big" meal. They should rename them "All Day but not at Breakfast, Breakfast"

... interesting ... Thanks sxc!!

Regards,

BD
Old Apr 11, 13, 9:10 am #15

Programs: SPG Plat
Other than the nasi lemak and lobster, what else would anyone recommend? Flying KUL-LHR-KUL soon and very excited! I'll be in J.

Thanks!
rooivalk is offline Reply With Quote