Go Back > > >
Old Nov 6, 17, 9:32 pm #1
Original Poster

Malaysia Airlines using a380 on SYD-KUL flights

I've noticed over the last week or so that Malaysia Airlines have been using their a380 on some of their MH122 SYD-KUL flights. Why are they doing this and for how long?

I'm flying with them in 3 weeks and will be wanting them to use their usual a330 for the new business class.
Farrie is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 1:46 am #2

Programs: CX Silver, IHG Plat Amb
Probably they don't have enough A330 to operate all the routes.
SLGO is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 8:31 am #3

Programs: THAI ROP Gold, Accor Platinum, MH Enrich, QATAR PC GOLD, SPG Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Interesting topic - I was just chatting with an elderly Aussie couple who checked into the Sofitel today after MAS cancelled MH 120 yest. & put them up in a hotel in SYD.

I'm wondering why it was cancelled yesterday (6 Nov) & operated/substituted with the A388 today and back to A330 tomorrow.

As I understand, 4 aircraft are used for KUL-LHR & MAS has a total of 6 frames.
Did the airline take one of the frames out of "storage"?
Weren't some frames being converted into the all Y config. for the Hajj flights?

I hope it was in good condition still, & that the lav & IFE were all working!
kaffir76 is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 8:58 am #4

None of the 6 frames are in storage. They all get their turns to do the London run.

The conversion for the Hajj and Umrah charter airline has yet to begin.
Zawnet is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 7:35 pm #5

Programs: Enrich Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zawnet View Post
None of the 6 frames are in storage. They all get their turns to do the London run.

The conversion for the Hajj and Umrah charter airline has yet to begin.
9M-MNB is the exception at the moment, after losing a nose gear wheel last month.
brbear is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 11:03 pm #6

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt, Hilton DM
Is there a chance for J pax to be seated in the F cabin?

I remember last time when i few with them on the KUL-SYD one, i got a peek of their pax list, and I was the only one marked as OWE (i think it was EPL or something like that)... so it seems MH doesn't normally have a lot of OWEs travelling with them.
Ausriver is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 17, 11:46 pm #7

Programs: MH Plat, AS MVPG, AC*G, HH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausriver View Post
Is there a chance for J pax to be seated in the F cabin?
They usually close the F cabin unless J proper is totally full. You might be able to choose an F seat but they might kick you out closer to departure.

Quote:
I remember last time when i few with them on the KUL-SYD one, i got a peek of their pax list, and I was the only one marked as OWE (i think it was EPL or something like that)... so it seems MH doesn't normally have a lot of OWEs travelling with them.
Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion based on such a small sample size.

I flew CX856 the other day, and was the only OWE in J. No DMs either. Can I assume CX doesn't get many DM/OWE flyers?
SilverChris is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 1:33 am #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverChris View Post
They usually close the F cabin unless J proper is totally full. You might be able to choose an F seat but they might kick you out closer to departure.

Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion based on such a small sample size.

I flew CX856 the other day, and was the only OWE in J. No DMs either. Can I assume CX doesn't get many DM/OWE flyers?
Since A380 has a larger J cabin, I would assume it is unlikely to be totally full...

And yes, you are right. I was actually a bit suprised to see myself being the only one got marked out... and the service was nothing special at all.
Old Nov 8, 17, 1:51 am #9

Programs: MH Plat, AS MVPG, AC*G, HH
Quote:
Since A380 has a larger J cabin, I would assume it is unlikely to be totally full...

And yes, you are right. I was actually a bit suprised to see myself being the only one got marked out... and the service was nothing special at all.
Did you get your preferred main course? That's basically the only benefit accorded to OWEs on most flights. If you're expecting a CX-style greeting then you're out of luck.
SilverChris is online now Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 2:05 am #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverChris View Post
Did you get your preferred main course? That's basically the only benefit accorded to OWEs on most flights. If you're expecting a CX-style greeting then you're out of luck.

I was at the first row... and yes, I did get the main course I chose.
Old Nov 8, 17, 2:44 am #11

Programs: Enrich
Do you know MAS is selling seats like all low cost carriers?Flying A380 can sell more seats haha!From Auckland to KL,ordinary seat selling for NZD 17.1!Petty. Penny Wise Pound Foolish! After the departure of Peter Bellew,guess MAS is heading for another bankruptcy,thanks to the so call smart policies makers!
Beecool is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 5:06 am #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beecool View Post
Do you know MAS is selling seats like all low cost carriers?Flying A380 can sell more seats haha!From Auckland to KL,ordinary seat selling for NZD 17.1!Petty. Penny Wise Pound Foolish! After the departure of Peter Bellew,guess MAS is heading for another bankruptcy,thanks to the so call smart policies makers!
You may like to know that this charging for advance seat selection was introduced when P Bellew was very much still the CEO.
Zawnet is offline Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 17, 7:56 am #13

Programs: EK Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beecool View Post
Its not LCC specific really, EK & BA charge for advance seat selection depending on the ticket type.
nedelk is offline Reply With Quote