Go Back Cpi-Web Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page > Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, NC

Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, NC

Old Aug 15, 10, 7:32 am

Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville- Now Cat 6

I had made a reservattion at the Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville using my Visa free Cat 5 night a couple weeks ago. Today I went to change the dates on my reservation only to discover that this hotel is now a Category 6.
I had thought that this hotel was probably one of the better uses of the Cat 5 cert in the country (Marriott must have too!). Now I guess I'll have to find the next best use for the cert.
Old Aug 16, 10, 6:15 am

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by sely View Post
I had made a reservattion at the Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville using my Visa free Cat 5 night a couple weeks ago. Today I went to change the dates on my reservation only to discover that this hotel is now a Category 6.
I had thought that this hotel was probably one of the better uses of the Cat 5 cert in the country (Marriott must have too!). Now I guess I'll have to find the next best use for the cert.
i am using my cert at this property as well. lucklily made reservation before the change and called CS to verify still good. They told me the hotel will have to honor my cert and 25k points for 2nd night because reservation was made before change. i hope no problems at check in/ check out.

have you looked at the bohemian property in savannah? they have 2. one on the river has nice roof top bar. other property is very nice inside but a little ways from the river and restaurants.
Old Aug 22, 10, 6:12 pm
Jib

Programs: DL 5MM+/FC/DM through 2022, UA PEX, Marriott PPMLT, Starwood PM, Hertz PM
We just returned from this hotel today. While it is a nice hotel it should not be a Category 6. There is no Ex. Louge and they only provide $10 "per room" breakfast credit on weekdays and no breakfast credits on weekends for Platiumn members. While the staff is friendly, they appear to be part-time college kids, that really have every little knowledge of the Asheville area. If you are not into Moose and Deer heads, this is also not the hotel for you as well.
Old Jan 10, 12, 4:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Delta Sky Miles, and MVCI
Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville, NC

Anybody stayed there... want to tell us about it? I'm looking at a weekend in Asheville the first of March. Usually stay at the Ren but it's so blah. Asheville is such a great little city.
Old Jan 10, 12, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Old Hickory View Post
Anybody stayed there... want to tell us about it? I'm looking at a weekend in Asheville the first of March. Usually stay at the Ren but it's so blah. Asheville is such a great little city.
Stayed there last year (2011) for Bele Chere weekend. Hotel is very nice. Staff very courteous and helpful. Valet time was minimal considering how busy the hotel was for that weekend.

The TV's in the room are also your internet browser, never even opened up my tablet. Big bathrooms with seperate shower/soaking tub.

Bar is nice. Did not eat in the restaurant. They are building a new Ruth's Chris across the street, not sure when opening and when you are visiting. Close enough to walk to Corner Kitchen (great Sunday brunch).

If you have any specific questions or concerns I will try to answer them, you can PM me as well if you'd prefer.
Old Feb 8, 12, 10:10 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Delta Sky Miles, and MVCI
Originally Posted by ncgator View Post
If you have any specific questions or concerns I will try to answer them, you can PM me as well if you'd prefer.
Since you asked...

I know this property is in Biltmore Village, which is an area I'm not that familiar. So other than Ruth Chris and Corner Kitchen, what else is within walking distance? Is downtown a walkable distance?
Old Feb 8, 12, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier, SPG Plat, Delta Skymiles Silver Medallion
Stayed here last year - fabulous hotel, would be depressed going back to the Ren after having stayed there.

Had breakfast in the restaurant - food was good. I noticed that the restaurant was packed at dinner so it must be decent. We ate at a bistro across the street (can't recall the name, but is literally across the street diagonally from the doors between reception and the restaurant) that was very good. Also ate at one of the Biltmore restaurants.

It is not within walking distance of downtown - less than a 10 minute drive.
Old Feb 8, 12, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Gold, SPG Platinum
Also stayed there about 6 months ago, mostly agree with the sentiments of everyone else.

A few notes:

While I am not a massage guy, my wife said the massage was one of the best she's ever had.

The restaurant's breakfast was AWESOME, but I was not a big fan of the place for dinner. The bar was beautiful, and the cocktails were excellent, but I was not as big of a fan of the food.

There are some places within walking distance that are excellent to eat at (lunch at corner kitchen is fantastic, although a bit overpriced), and downtown Asheville is about 10 minutes away with plenty of options. Dinner at the actual Biltmore Estate restaurant is quite the experience as well.
Old Feb 9, 12, 4:06 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Marriott Platinum Premier Emeritus, SPG Plat Perf
I've stayed there 3 times in the last years and each time was great. Dinner at the Red Stag was very good!
As a PP was upgrade to a suite all three times and breakfast room service was quick and very good.
Dinner at the Red Stag will blow Ruth Chris steaks away!
The sausage plate starter is served with a mustard that is made locally ( called Lusty Monk) and is the best I've ever had.
Nice bar with great drinks and very good staff.
If your going to Aheville, this is the place to stay.
Old Sep 7, 14, 4:10 pm

Nothing since '12?

Coming here for a 1 night award stay this coming weekend. Curious as to any recent reviews/thoughts..?
Old Sep 8, 14, 8:43 am
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimePlatinum
Originally Posted by pricesquire View Post
Nothing since '12?

Coming here for a 1 night award stay this coming weekend. Curious as to any recent reviews/thoughts..?
If you don't get any info, would appreciate you doing an update after your stay.

Cheers.
Old Sep 8, 14, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
If you don't get any info, would appreciate you doing an update after your stay.

Cheers.
Sounds good - will definitely be writing a length review post-stay.
Old Sep 10, 14, 10:19 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
I'm going to Asheville in November so I'm looking forward to your recent review. In particular, is it worth a Cat 9 reward?
Old Sep 10, 14, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by OsoJoe View Post
I'm going to Asheville in November so I'm looking forward to your recent review. In particular, is it worth a Cat 9 reward?
The hotel is very nice. The bedding is excellent and the in room tv/web browser in one is pretty cool. It is not downtown though but very close to the entrance of the Biltmore Estate if that is your purpose.

In regards to the value as a cat 9 it would depend on when you are visiting the hotel. If leaf season then the rates are very high like all hotels in Asheville. But I have had very good success in the past of finding a good LNF rate that would minimize the point value drastically. Good luck
Old Sep 10, 14, 11:54 am
A Cpi-Web Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimePlatinum
Originally Posted by pricesquire View Post
Sounds good - will definitely be writing a length review post-stay.
Thanks - appreciate it. If you could also cover the brekkie situation I'll update the exec lounge sticky w/ that.

Cheers.